ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Women's Soccer at Michigan / Thursday BTN

BOOOOM! Brocious from Kroeger 1-0 1-minute into the match! Beautiful give and go!

Would like to see us get to 3-0 and clear the bench. Rest of for MSU on Sunday!

Well … sometimes those 1 win teams want it more than you. Terrible half.

What an ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL coaching job. Up 2-0 and completely dominating we give up 3 in the 2nd to a team NOT EVEN MAKING THE B1G TOURNAMENT!!!! Coach has done a GREAT job building this program, I'll take nothing away from him there, but his lack of in-game adjustments, or just his inability to make the right ones, is stunning.

Feel awful for the girls who played almost a perfect first half and, aside from a couple of GREAT saves by the Michigan keeper, would've been up 4-0 going into the 2nd. No blame on them IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: biazza38
That was maybe the most pathetic Rutgers sporting event I’ve ever watched. There was a guarantee after Michigan got the 1st goal with 26 mins to go that we were losing. Guarantee. Total mental breakdown and coaching breakdown that half. Rutgers not ready for big time and being able to put one away. Looked like tired cry babies for that whole 15 minute stretch basically waiting for Michigan to score.

Reactions: runner3283
Actually, felt like the Nebraska football game. You knew the entire second half even with huge shutout lead at halftime we were going to lose. A slow painful choke. No killer mentality

That was maybe the most pathetic Rutgers sporting event I’ve ever watched. There was a guarantee after Michigan got the 1st goal with 26 mins to go that we were losing. Guarantee. Total mental breakdown and coaching breakdown that half. Rutgers not ready for big time and being able to put one away. Looked like tired cry babies for that whole 15 minute stretch basically waiting for Michigan to score.
When you have a HC who absolutely sucks, tactically, this is what can happen. I'd go so far as to say he lacks in the motivational department, as well, because the team came out 100% uninspired for the 2nd half.

Major seeding implications. You finally earn the respect you deserve as a program with the early season top 10 ranking, and then you lay an egg like this?!! Seriously?!?

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
Sky is falling...They lost a game. LOL!!

Yes it was a difficult loss but maybe it wakes them up. We qualified for the Big 10 tourney.

Brutal second half. Waltzed around chasing the play. McClelland was brutal, Girman terrible & on it went. Michigan played their asses off, brought the high press & just dominated the midfield. As Scarlet Dave said after that 1st goal you could just feel the L coming.

When you have a HC who absolutely sucks, tactically, this is what can happen. I'd go so far as to say he lacks in the motivational department, as well, because the team came out 100% uninspired for the 2nd half.
What would you have done tactically? I guess we could have put 9 in the box but not sure what else you can do when you are being outplayed.

Offensively we had opportunities to put the game away and we did not score. Our midfield was also non existent.

Sky is falling...They lost a game. LOL!!

Yes it was a difficult loss but maybe it wakes them up. We qualified for the Big 10 tourney.
The sky is definitely falling because in the span of 1 minute 15 seconds you just choked away hosting a B1G tourney game AND 2 first round NCAA games. Basically blew your season, everything you worked for since August right down the toilet in the most improbable and epic fashion. Now it will be an uphill battle the rest of the year from here on to earn it all back everything you just tossed.
Want to host a B1G game? Now you have to beat the B1G champions MSU on the road. Want to host any NCAA games? You basically have to win the B1G tournament now to make up for this. Just sad because of all the work done this year up until this point.

• Haha
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Major seeding implications. You finally earn the respect you deserve as a program with the early season top 10 ranking, and then you lay an egg like this?!! Seriously?!?
We need to win the B1G tournament now. This game absolutely destroyed our seeding otherwise.

What would you have done tactically? I guess we could have put 9 in the box but not sure what else you can do when you are being outplayed.

Offensively we had opportunities to put the game away and we did not score. Our midfield was also non existent.
Listen I'm not a tactical expert, but I have friends on these boards who ARE, and they're texting me exactly what I'm saying. Most are well aware he's not a great "game day" guy so I'll leave it at that. Bottom line:

- Michigan coach made changes down 2-0 at the half

- we stuck with "it worked in the 1st half, it'll work in the 2nd half," were CLEARLY getting outplayed from the opening minute of the 2nd half, and made no changes whatsoever (or, if we did, none that worked) even though it was very, very clear we were in big trouble after that 1st ridiculous goal. You've GOT to be able to counter what the other coach changes at the half. That's pretty basic coaching. Also, WHY did the team look completely uninterested the ENTIRE second half? These are both MAJOR problems.

Doesn't take a soccer tactical "brain surgeon" to figure out that we got out-coached by Michigan again (like last year's B1G tourney final).

Last edited:
Listen I'm not a tactical expert, but I have friends on these boards who ARE, and they're texting me exactly what I'm saying. Most are well aware he's not a great "game day" guy so I'll leave it at that. Bottom line:

- Michigan coach made changes down 2-0 at the half

- we stuck with "it worked in the 1st half, it'll work in the 2nd half," were CLEARLY getting outplayed from the opening minute of the 2nd half, and made no changes whatsoever (or, if we did, none that worked) even though it was very, very clear we were in big trouble after that 1st ridiculous goal. You've GOT to be able to counter what the other coach changes at the half. That's pretty basic coaching. Also, WHY did the team look completely uninterested the ENTIRE second half? These are both MAJOR problems.

Doesn't take a soccer tactical "brain surgeon" to figure out that we got out-coached by Michigan again (like last year's B1G tourney final).
And I ask again since you mentioned making tactical changes? What did they propose since you apparently have no answer. Pulling the goalie? Clearing the bench? Changing from a 4-3-3 to 5-4-1?

They got outplayed. It was as simple as that. Unfortunately the first goals were WTF goals but it happens.

Some of you act like the RU players do not care. I am sure they are devastated and feel horrible. Sometimes your best is not good enough.

The sky is definitely falling because in the span of 1 minute 15 seconds you just choked away hosting a B1G tourney game AND 2 first round NCAA games. Basically blew your season, everything you worked for since August right down the toilet in the most improbable and epic fashion. Now it will be an uphill battle the rest of the year from here on to earn it all back everything you just tossed.
Want to host a B1G game? Now you have to beat the B1G champions MSU on the road. Want to host any NCAA games? You basically have to win the B1G tournament now to make up for this. Just sad because of all the work done this year up until this point.
Calm Down and Breathe....Yikes....

Reactions: RUpop
We CAN win the B1G's if MO gets his head out of his ass. The talent is EASILY there to do so.
I love how you pick on a coach and yet admit you have no clue about the game.

Mike can not play the game for them. They needed to execute and they made too many mistakes.

tAnd I ask again since you mentioned making tactical changes? What did they propose since you apparently have no answer. Pulling the goalie? Clearing the bench? Changing from a 4-3-3 to 5-4-1?

They got outplayed. It was as simple as that. Unfortunately the first goals were WTF goals but it happens.

Some of you act like the RU players do not care. I am sure they are devastated and feel horrible. Sometimes your best is not good enough.
You're right.,..sit back and make NO changes whatsoever....oh wait...the MICHIGAN COACH made changes at the half and, guess what? THEY WON! A team that isn't even going to make the B1G'S outscored us 3-0 in the 2nd half!!! STOP!!!

100%, no question whatsoever, the girls are probably devastated and not sure who is saying a single negative word about them? Certainly not me so take it elsewhere my friend.

BTW - if you're on TOS the tactical aspect of MO's coaching is being discussed on the round table.

Last edited:
You're right.,..sit back and make NO changes whatsoever....oh wait...the MICHIGAN COACH made changes at the half and, guess what? THEY WON! A team that isn't even going to make the B1G'S outscored us 3-0 in the 2nd half!!! STOP!!!

100%, no question whatsoever, the girls are probably devastated and not sure who is saying a single negative word about them? Certainly not me so take it elsewhere my friend.

As we noticed last year hosting the tourney does not mean a championship.

Again I ask what changes would you make? It is easier for Michigan to consider changes at halftime when you are down 2-0 and getting outplayed. In addition, in soccer it is difficult to flip strategy and stop momentum in the middle of game play since no timeouts are available.

As you said the Michigan goalie made some great saves as well. This was key since ours unfortunately hesitated twice.

Mike did insert some players longer in the second half to change the pace and it still did not matter. ie: Gia, Romano, Kurlya. He also dropped players deeper to help on defense. ie: Tiernan.

Not sure how goalie mistakes and a few bad bounces is the coaches fault. We are all upset but we will make the B10 tourney and hopefully we respond.

GO RU!!

As we noticed last year hosting the tourney does not mean a championship.

Again I ask what changes would you make? It is easier for Michigan to consider changes at halftime when you are down 2-0 and getting outplayed. In addition, in soccer it is difficult to flip strategy and stop momentum in the middle of game play since no timeouts are available.

As you said the Michigan goalie made some great saves as well. This was key since ours unfortunately hesitated twice.

Mike did insert some players longer in the second half to change the pace and it still did not matter. ie: Gia, Romano, Kurlya. He also dropped players deeper to help on defense. ie: Tiernan.

Not sure how goalie mistakes and a few bad bounces is the coaches fault. We are all upset but we will make the B10 tourney and hopefully we respond.

GO RU!!
Come on man

We were up 2-0 and didn't change how we were playing at all in the first half...fine. we could have (should have) easily scored a few more goals.

Then...Michigan comes out hugh pressing and all of a sudden we are passing to the other team. Do we make any changes? No. Go back and look at how many times we turned the ball over on our left hand side. And it wasn't just the left back...the defensive pairing and team defending down that side was sib par. Did we do a thing differently? No.

We played the game in the same 4-3-3...and Tiernan comes back for what seems like 3 mins and you imply we did something to get more players behind the ball?? Baloney. Those moments were not tactical...thats like a 9 coming deeper to receive the ball because they aren't getting it...not because a tactical change was made.

Let me be clear...i am not knocking her...bringing her up since i think it was you who brought her up as a change by MO. Wrong.

You want to argue which tactical adjustments to make have at it (at minimum i would have played through two 6s to give our backline more of a clear outlet, vs trying to play so direct...for starters) But this is the 2nd year in a row the Michigan coach wiped the floor with MO. Remember the b1g 10s last year? This coach did the same thing and pressed the crap out of our entire left side and we - once again - made little to no adjustments. Tonight I saw no adjustments at all (I mean I saw us play one of our cb subs in midfield...but is that really the change this game called for?)

What MO has done with this program is extraordinary. But to me, he looks like a coach who has spent his career where his talent has been better than his opponents for 95+% of the time...cause his adjustments in a game seem painful and lacking.

Not sure who Hugh Pressing is?.....JK

If we switch to 5-4-1 or 4-4-2 we do not have enough speed up top unless it is Tiernan. Our weapon is moving the ball by finding feet and getting up field. We tend to get rattled with pressure and yesterday the whole team struggled.

Unfortunately yesterday our midfield could not sustain possession in 2nd half and we lost. Should have scored a few more but that is the way it goes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT