ADVERTISEMENT

No. 17 Rutgers Wrestling set for Princeton Sunday

Why do ppl believe Alvarez is a top 3 or 4 guy?? Bc he took a completely diff RBY into OT what 4 years ago?? He’s never made the podium and couldn’t make weight last two season how suddenly potential top 3 this year? We are all either overly optimistic or delusional.. Princeton win is nice but we barely made it out wit a dub to a team we routinely crush.. reality will set in once we hit the big ten stretch.. maybe wins over Indiana/Mich state.. and Maryland if we r lucky.
Reasonable question. Sammy is definitely a talent and beat a big-time recruit in his high school final (if my memory serves me). He had some excellent performances here before the problems. He should not have been at 133 and suffered as a result. Whether people want to believe it or not, Sammy hasn't shown the drive to be as good as he could. This is an observation based on what I've seen, not a personal attack as some will interpret it. If he is still struggling with his weight and losing both strength and enthusiasm as a result, then it's not too tricky to figure out what to do. If he comes out again and doesn't show an offense, someone has to figure it out. Showing my age, I remember back when Joe Frazier used to lead with his head like Sammy leads with his legs. It takes a toll.

Reactions: DUForever
It is nice to think we were their Super Bowl. That is not reality. If you ask the Princeton coaches or their alumni, they will tell you it’s Cornell, Lehigh, and Penn. Their goal is to win the Ivy League and EIWA titles.

Who is our Super Bowl?
Honestly it’s probably who ever is the worst out of Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St each year. We’ve had chances in the past to knock off Ohio St.

So funny how guys get so much better/tougher "in their mind" as they get older...Richie Lewis never even sniffed the Podium in D1 and Won One D1 tournament bout in his career ..but now he's calling out a guy who did AA at a higher weight...AND LEWIS SAYS HE IS GOING TO TECH HIM IN 1ST PERIOD?...haha
Outside of beating Berger in the Nebraska dual in 2015 where we upset them by criteria, did Lewis really do much of anything of note at Rutgers? Like you said, he has 1...ONE...NCAA Tourney win in his college career.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
It is nice to think we were their Super Bowl. That is not reality. If you ask the Princeton coaches or their alumni, they will tell you it’s Cornell, Lehigh, and Penn. Their goal is to win the Ivy League and EIWA titles.

Who is our Super Bowl?
Princeton is a huge match. Losing to them hurts more than most schools. If we're talking B1G then I say tOSU. Penn St is obviously huge, but I'm afraid there's just too big of a gap at this point. Nothing is impossible but a team of 5 national champs is tough to beat year in and out.

Reactions: Leonard23
Outside of beating Berger in the Nebraska dual in 2015 where we upset them by criteria, did Lewis really do much of anything of note at Rutgers? Like you said, he has 1...ONE...NCAA Tourney win in his college career.
I don’t think it’s fair to downplay what Lewis did here. He was a good wrestler. Not AA caliber but he was the last good guy we had at 165.

I’m just disappointed to see what he’s become. If you have problems with the program, fine. But don’t publicly call out a bunch of kids who you know can’t respond, drag their parents into it, and act like you’re gods gift to earth. Get lost with that attitude.

I don’t think it’s fair to downplay what Lewis did here. He was a good wrestler. Not AA caliber but he was the last good guy we had at 165.

I’m just disappointed to see what he’s become. If you have problems with the program, fine. But don’t publicly call out a bunch of kids who you know can’t respond, drag their parents into it, and act like you’re gods gift to earth. Get lost with that attitude.
What did he accomplish in a RU singlet.....absolutely nothing so its just bizarre he thinks he should be offered a job by Goody ..28 wins ...seriously ...is that even in the top 100 of RU wrestlers ..maybe he has taken too many shots to the head in his new career...sad he has to do what he thinks is ok..is AA really supporting this nonsense ?

Wrestlestat has him at 49 wins at RU, not 28. That said I don’t know why he thinks he’s entitled to job, especially if he’s going to act like that

What did he do here ..did he AA and I missed it ...he sewed discord back then just like he is now ..he wasn't a pillar of dedicated hard work that I can remember ..sure he had some success but nothing that amounted to much with the RU singlet on so why he thinks Goody should take him on is kinda puzzling to me
I didn't realize you were a Juco finalist and beat multiple AAs and a Junior World Champion. I must of missed that.All this time I just thought you were some asshole nobody neighbor of the VanBrills with a big mouth that if he ever said shit like that to Ritchies face, he'd be sweeping his teeth up off the floor.Yup, my mistake. Ritchie does need to let it go, but let's not think for a minute minus the AA accolades that he wasn't one of RU best 157/165 lbs ers we had in decades.

Last edited:
I didn't realize you were a Juco finalist and beat multiple AAs and a Junior World Champion. I must of missed that.All this time I just thought you were some asshole nobody neighbor of the VanBrills with a big mouth that if he ever said shit like that to Ritchies face, he'd be sweeping his teeth up off the floor.Yup, my mistake. Ritchie does need to let it go, but let's not think for a minute minus the AA accolades that he wasn't one of RU best 157/165 lbs ers we had in decades.
No surprise here that you justify what he is doing ..you even with your accomplishments came on here embarrassing yourself doing the exact same thing ...attacking kids then their parents then challenging them to fight ...he filled a hole at 165 but did nothing with it..the topic in case you missed it from the bottom of your brown bag was Him attacking Goody for not giving him a job ...why ..what did he do in a RU singlet that warrants him working with new kids ..he was not known for his work ethic here and caused discord going back and forth between the 2 weights until Goody made him choose ...that's a fact so try paying attention first it was you embarrassing yourself here now it's him ..attacking Goody will get him nowhere ...that's also a fact.

No surprise here that you justify what he is doing ..you even with your accomplishments came on here embarrassing yourself doing the exact same thing ...attacking kids then their parents then challenging them to fight ...he filled a hole at 165 but did nothing with it..the topic in case you missed it from the bottom of your brown bag was Him attacking Goody for not giving him a job ...why ..what did he do in a RU singlet that warrants him working with new kids ..he was not known for his work ethic here and caused discord going back and forth between the 2 weights until Goody made him choose ...that's a fact so try paying attention first it was you embarrassing yourself here now it's him ..attacking Goody will get him nowhere ...that's also a fact.
Ouch! And very salient points by the way.
... with a big mouth that if he ever said shit like that to Ritchies face, he'd be sweeping his teeth up off the floor.Yup, my mistake. Ritchie does need to let it go, but let's not think for a minute minus the AA accolades that he wasn't one of RU best 157/165 lbs ers we had in decades.
On the first highlighted: just another reason not to have his toxic persona around our guys. On the second highlighted: that's like saying our 2014 football team was one of the best in decades. Kinda ok, but not good enough. Lewis does not deserve to be around this team. His online rants are the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harleyr1 and gogs7
Even if it was at home BTN+ is not the greatest alternative. How many tournaments? Beast, midlands, southern scuffle that are not available to anything other than subscribing to multiple streaming services. If the sport wants to make it more available to the masses they have to figure out how to streamline their media rights. The B1G needs to do a better job getting one of their premier products out to their fans. Same can be said for lacrosse. BTN does an awful job televising secondary and tertiary products. Do we really need to watch 1969 rose bowl game? I would rather watch a live or tape delayed wrestling match or soccer game.
Every time I turn on BTN I see either Ohio State/Michigan or girls volleyball. It's totally bizarre. If lax and wrestling was on I would be watching all the time.

Looks like the Richie Lewis twitter rant has been replaced by a twitter battle between Princeton Coach Joe Dubuque and Rutgers Director of Operations Steve Mytych. Mytych threw the first blow and Dubuque responded.

Not a good look it we are trying to appeal to parents of recruits. Let's beat them on the mat and not on twitter.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
Looks like the Richie Lewis twitter rant has been replaced by a twitter battle between Princeton Coach Joe Dubuque and Rutgers Director of Operations Steve Mytych. Mytych threw the first blow and Dubuque responded.

Not a good look it we are trying to appeal to parents of recruits. Let's beat them on the mat and not on twitter.
This seems a little dramatic as I'd hardly call it battle. I think there were three tweets in total and yes, Steve probably got a little too excited but it was ultimately harmless. I don't think its a bad look for our coaching staff to stick up for our guys and be excited we won against our biggest rival. He didn't cross any lines or make any personal attacks, so I have no problem with it. Half of the team including Goody liked it so I think it did its job.

Plus, the PU/NJRTC guys aren't exactly angels or the eaiest to get along with...they were going nuts banging the damn wheelbarrow, chirping all match in people's faces, talk shit all over the place/online, etc..

I think both teams respect each other more than it appears on the surface too. The Ashnault Kolodzik thing was fun and both sides admitted they were just messing with each other. Glory taunted the Rutgers bench and was laughing with Goodale after it was all over. It’s a rivalry but I don’t think anyone is crossing any lines

It was innocent and fun for the rivalry

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT