ADVERTISEMENT

No. 18 Rutgers Wrestling Treks to 2022 Ken Kraft Midlands Championships

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
PISCATAWAY, N.J. – No. 18 Rutgers wrestling (6-1) returns to the Ken Kraft Midlands Championships from Dec. 29-30 in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. Fifteen attached Scarlet Knights and one unattached student-athlete compete in the two-day tournament, as RU appears in the loaded field for the first time since the 2017-18 campaign.

Will this be the annual WTF moment? I'm hoping to see good results from Shawver, Peterson, and Soldano. Maybe McDermott, but this will be his biggest challenge. No surprise at 197 given my preseason expectations. I hope Turley comes through it un-reinjured. Wait... ut oh, no Poz?

Speaking of that match. I looked up that kid he wrestled. Saw his high school championship match where he threw his opponent to his back. I then found a match he had with Soldano in 2019 where he used the same throw to pin Soldano.

Excited to see Oliveri. Too bad about Janzer. This tournament has an impact on qualifying for nationals.Is Casale hurt or is it something else. Remember that there were rumors over the summer and when he left Delbarton.

It looks like Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, and Wisconsin will not be there. If so, the tournament will be watered down.

Last edited:
Wisconsin has many solid wrestlers entered including Barnett, Hilger, Amos, Hamiti and Model.

Seeds for RU:
Soldano 1 seed
Alvarez 2 Seed
Heilman 4 Seed
Turley 4 Seed
Boone 5 Seed
Peterson 5 Seed
Shawver 6 Seed
White 8 Seed
Clark 8 seed
Olivieri 9 Seed
Rest unseeded

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Good catch on Wisconsin. They have some studs competing. Thought they were at the Solider Salute in Iowa. Looks like Glory is wrestling 133 and Monday at 165. The brackets look favorable for us. We should make semi-finals st 125, 133, 141, 174, 184, and maybe heavyweight.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Is there any way to stream this? I'm sure I'll have to get my fifth different subscription this season.

Wisconsin has many solid wrestlers entered including Barnett, Hilger, Amos, Hamiti and Model.

Seeds for RU:
Soldano 1 seed
Alvarez 2 Seed
Heilman 4 Seed
Turley 4 Seed
Boone 5 Seed
Peterson 5 Seed
Shawver 6 Seed
White 8 Seed
Clark 8 seed
Olivieri 9 Seed
Rest unseeded
Did Glory drop out of 133 bracket?? When I look at it I see Byrd 1 seed, Heilman 2 and Cannon 3..

On a side note we got a lot of highly seeded wrestlers.. only Wisconson probably fav over us

Did Glory drop out of 133 bracket?? When I look at it I see Byrd 1 seed, Heilman 2 and Cannon 3..

On a side note we got a lot of highly seeded wrestlers.. only Wisconson probably fav over us
Looks like he dropped out.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Looks like Anthony Clark is wrestling at 133. Former elite recruit who hasn’t wrestled a college match despite being on the team for 3 years.

Also I don’t get how the byes work. 24 kids have first round byes at 141, but Alvarez and Olivieri seeded 2 and 9 don’t have a bye, nor does the 1 seed. Don’t understand that at all.

Reactions: Leonard23
Hopefully the wrestlers who have a match can pick up some bonus points.
May help us with team scoring if it is close

Also dumb question but why is Gayer the only freshman in redshirt wrestling attached? If he can still maintain a redshirt why not bring Casale and Fongaro?

Hopefully the wrestlers who have a match can pick up some bonus points.
May help us with team scoring if it is close
If that’s the reasoning it’s pretty dumb. First, your team shouldn’t be granted the ability to score more because other wrestlers were good enough to secure higher seeds and presumably byes. Second, while these early matches could be quick you’re taking unnecessary energy away from a wrestler over the course of a long weekend.

Alvarez will be on Mat 5 followed by DeSantis (Per track wrestling)

D. Britton is Mat 3

If that’s the reasoning it’s pretty dumb. First, your team shouldn’t be granted the ability to score more because other wrestlers were good enough to secure higher seeds and presumably byes. Second, while these early matches could be quick you’re taking unnecessary energy away from a wrestler over the course of a long weekend.

I am not sure what the reasoning is, but trying to make a positive out of a potential negative.
I saw the same thing (I believe) at the B10's

White does not know how to finish a takedown. In deep twice and loses both. Down 2-1

White not being able to finish against Swisher is concerning. Plus he got stuck on bottom for too long as well.

Reactions: koleszar
Olivieri by pin

Britton lost 11-8

7 seed White lost 4-1 to an unseeded kid, proving my point that being seeded and not getting a bye is ridiculous

A bad loss for White. Swisher is a true freshman and wasn't an elite recruit.

Sammy doing some stupid sh*t again now down 8-4. Fun tournament so far

Sammy down 8-4 already... what a brutal start.

Last edited:
2 seed Alvarez nearly pinned by an unseeded kid and down 8-2 and conceding a riding time point currently. Soldano and Peterson pretty much the only reason I haven’t canceled my wrestling subscriptions.

Alvarez shouldn’t be in tight match like this but ref nearly cost him the match. 3 times Alvarez had back points but a late start only got him a 1 count. Alvarez forces OT with a last second take down.

Sammy wins it. Incredibly poor last two matches by Rutgers wrestlers against absolute nobodies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT