ADVERTISEMENT

No. 18 Rutgers Wrestling Wraps Up Non-Conference Slate at Bloomsburg (Friday) and Rider (Sunday)

Interesting that many posters refer to our wrestlers as "kids". $$$$
It’s both. They’re kids in a sense that they shouldn’t be personally attacked for poor performances provided they’re working hard, but at the same time they’re adults that need to be responsible for their actions off the mat.

Reactions: mikemessner
I don’t think any of those kids were wrestling at notable programs after leaving Rutgers either.

We’re the school that misses the most kids because you’re not following other teams as closely. Every team misses.

My point wasn’t that kids leave us and succeed at other schools. It was that a lot of highly ranked kids didn’t pan out at Rutgers. Not that they didn’t All American. But that they didn’t compete for 4 years. I think we take too many kids that are not a cultural fit or have off the mat issues that the coaches believe they can correct.

Sammy is an example. A clear talent who we tried to save after he left NC State for off the mat issues. We take a lot of risks and aren’t really in the position to do so. This continuing trend seems to be impacting our recruiting with no ranked kids in the 2023 class.

I agree that I don’t follow other teams as closely as our team. I will try to look at other Big Ten teams to see how many highly ranked kids they recruited didn’t pan out and weren’t on the team by their senior year.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
You seem to be saying that the coach can only recommend and the decision is ultimately up to the kid. Yup, I read it again and it still makes no sense. If the kids are making the final decisions, all is now understood. In my mind, the coach would make the final decision. I can imagine the coach telling Sammy that he and the team will be better off with him wrestling at (149,157) and he'll have to win the position. Goodale expressed doubt at the beginning and said Olivier was waiting in the wings and eager to wrestle. This is a good example of why I have said that coaching is a management job. A good manager makes decisions that are good for the person and the business. A good manager accepts responsibility for bad decisions and failures.
Goody wants to put the most complete team he can out there. Having Olivieri RS this year seemed like a great idea and '41 needed a wrestler. I'd think ideally, Sammy would be that wrestler this year IF he could make the weight. You have to think Goody sits down with each and every wrestler to discuss where the best spot for them on the team is and what his expectations are for all. But fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on Goody. Fool me three times, WTH???
I don’t think any of those kids were wrestling at notable programs after leaving Rutgers either.

We’re the school that misses the most kids because you’re not following other teams as closely. Every team misses.
You beat me to it. They weren't the stars of our program.
I think of posters here as kids. It's all relative. I'm on Bill's heels, so everyone is looking young to me. The only good news is that there are more younger women than ever before.
The bad news is most of them can probably run away from you easily!!

ADVERTISEMENT