ADVERTISEMENT

No. 19 Rutgers Women's Soccer Off to Midwest to Matchup with Nebraska and Wisconsin

So that's it, huh? We accept being a 1 and done team and never winning a B1G Championship in the sport? Losing/tying to inferior teams every single year? Hopefully Hobbs doesn't settle for mediocrity and his track record indicates that he doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
RUdad is right whether you support Mike or not we get these recruits because of him and without that supply line from PDA we are done.

This is kinda mind blowing actually. So no one else could recruit the fertile lands of NJ and eastern PA? In reality what have these PDA players gotten us? We have no conference titles, regular or post season. We had the great run to the college cup but outside of that minimal success in the tournament. I mean we lost to Central Connecticut State at home in 2019 R1. We are an average to slightly above average program at best.

So that's it, huh? We accept being a 1 and done team and never winning a B1G Championship in the sport? Losing/tying to inferior teams every single year? Hopefully Hobbs doesn't settle for mediocrity and his track record indicates that he doesn't.

THIS. Win a damn title already OR stop making excuses. Maybe put your pride ashes abs being in someone who can teach OFFENSE to this very, very talented roster???

This is kinda mind blowing actually. So no one else could recruit the fertile lands of NJ and eastern PA? In reality what have these PDA players gotten us? We have no conference titles, regular or post season. We had the great run to the college cup but outside of that minimal success in the tournament. I mean we lost to Central Connecticut State at home in 2019 R1. We are an average to slightly above average program at best.

Why? BECAUSE WE COULDN’T SCORE ONE DAMN GOAL!!! Against CCS!!!!

Scarlette & Matt, Mike O'Neill has been with Rutgers women's soccer for 21 years, and by most metrics has been very successful. Beyond records he has recruited & retained really fine young ladies who have been a credit to RU. That is his guiding principle. In addition, he has a really fine staff of terrific people who have been with RU for years. And as previously mentioned has taken RU to the NCAA's in every year he has been head coach. IMO, in view of the above, it is absolutely unrealistic & inappropriate for Hobbs to have any kind of conversation regarding letting Mike go.

This fall RU welcomes a current class of 7 recruits, including the National Gatorade player of the year[a 5 star] & four 4 stars. All Jersey girls. Makes sense to me to let this years excellent class & next years play together & mature together under the guy for whom they came to play.

Last edited:
Scarlette & Matt, Mike O'Neill has been with Rutgers women's soccer for 21 years, and by most metrics has been very successful. Beyond records he has recruited & retained really fine young ladies who have been a credit to RU. That is his guiding principle. In addition, he has a really fine staff of terrific people who have been with RU for years. And as previously mentioned has taken RU to the NCAA's in every year he has been head coach. IMO, in view of the above, it is absolutely unrealistic & inappropriate for Hobbs to have any kind of conversation regarding letting Mike go.

This fall RU welcomes a current class of 7 recruits, including the National Gatorade player of the year[a 5 star] & four 4 stars. All Jersey girls. Makes sense to me to let this years excellent class & next years play together & mature together under the guy for whom they came to play.

1) it is 100% Hobbs JOB To review, analyze and make coaching changes if and when necessary every single post season with every single sport. OUR GOAL IS TO WIN TITLES. PERIOD. If he doesn’t do this then he is not doing his job.

2) Coach has done a fantastic job over the years recruiting abs getting us to the NCAA’s, nobody is questioning that, we’d be stupid to do so. That being said, he has come up short time and time again in postseason play, both in the Big Ten and in the NCAA ‘s. 2019 was the absolute debacle in the 1st round.

3) I have no problem seeing what happens with the current crop of freshman and the incoming class. Both excellent classes no question. That being said, how many times are we going to say the same thing, because if I recall correctly this is what we were told when Ali came in.

Dad - we ALL want the BEST for every program here. You know that. That being said it’s OK to criticize when criticism is warranted and when this team continually fails in games against much weaker opponents, to score a single goal, it’s a problem. Again, why is Coach O’Neill so against bringing in someone to help him with this issue?

Maryland- 2.25 GPG (against) vs 8 other opponents

Nebraska - 1.625 GPG (against) vs 7 other opponents (including 4 to Illinois)

RU - ZERO total goals vs Maryland and Nebraska including 2 OT’s versuseach side ...

....THIS needs fixing. Not really sure how you can disagree.

Last edited:

Fine, but in 2-3 years if we are right here talking what-if's, will you agree that Mike has done all he can and we can start searching elsewhere? We are in the B1G, you think PSU or Michigan or OSU talks about just making the Dance and nothing more? They talk about winning championships, in every sport.

Fine, but in 2-3 years if we are right here talking what-if's, will you agree that Mike has done all he can and we can start searching elsewhere? We are in the B1G, you think PSU or Michigan or OSU talks about just making the Dance and nothing more? They talk about winning championships, in every sport.

Spot-on Matt.

Reactions: bigmatt718

This is completely unacceptable. Mike has failed repeatedly to develop any of these players. We’ve seen this play out year after year with repeated results. Although you cite some of his accolades, that’s really the minimal level of expectations I expect from a B1G program. I would add that I would put heat on Hobbs if he was not thoroughly reviewing each program annually and raising the level of accountability and expectations.

The fact you are willing to look at the results at the end of each season and say that you’re satisfied with these results and conclude that Mike did a great job and met the expectations set before the season is pathetic quite frankly. We keep doing the same thing year in and year out expecting different results. Based on what ? Why? You said it yourself. He’s been in the program for 21+ years with minimal tangible results to speak of.

As I said before. The program has become stagnant and the time for change is here.

Scarlett, please don't misrepresent what I said. I didn't say I was satisfied. He is in his eighth yr as head coach not 21st. If you & others want to can Mike O'Neill as coach of the overall most successful program in the past decade at RU have at it. And by the way, what other coach who hasn't won a BIG championship or had consistently deep runs in the NCAA's or consistently brought us to top tier bowl games do you & others want to can, since that is the standard that you & others are about? Quite pathetic IMO.

Scarlett, please don't misrepresent what I said. I didn't say I was satisfied. He is in his eighth yr as head coach not 21st. If you & others want to can Mike O'Neill as coach of the overall most successful program in the past decade at RU have at it. And by the way, what other coach who hasn't won a BIG championship or had consistently deep runs in the NCAA's or consistently brought us to top tier bowl games do you & others want to can, since that is the standard that you & others are about? Quite pathetic IMO.

Saying I have the nicest car in the junk yard is disingenuous to say the least. Completely meaningless in the big picture. So your not satisfied but you want to keep plugging along with Mike for what? 9 ? 10? 11 seasons? Since you continue to not answer the questions. Again, where do you draw the line here? What have you seen on the field from this program that gives you any confidence that this program is top tier like it should be with the level a talent recruited? What growth has this program shown over the last eight years that gives you this blind faith that mike deserves more time? Why is it acceptable that Mike took an opening day win vs. PSU and is short order has essentially squandered it away yet again? When you can answer those questions with something other than we have “nice” players and a fine staff, then I will consider giving mike more rope.

As for other coaches? I’ve made no bones about it. I want CVS gone yesterday. Of course that won’t happen but that program has plateaued. Time for change sooner than later.

Hobbs has had absolutely no problem finding excellent coaches for WLax, Gymnastics, Baseball, Volleyball, MHoops and Rowing to name a few. I have the utmost confidence that he could find a stud to replace Mike O.

If this team falters again in the postseason, DUE TO a lack of scoring, and I’m Hobbs, when I look over the season and give him my analysis I say “you’re hiring an offensive genius whether you like it or not. I’ll get you the funds.”

...and if I’m Ali, Making my last go of it in both the Big Ten tournament and the NCAA tournament, I play “see if you can stop me.”

Well Scarlet who else should be gone out of the junkyard? Start naming them any time you like. Let's see Schiano never won a conference title, couldn't win the big games & was loaded with future NFL players. With that record not only wasn't he let go, but after he left of his own accord he was rehired by Hobbs. Seems as though he should be high on your list according to your standards, especially given all the great HS football players in Jersey. Then there's Brecht who has been lacrosse HC for several years & has never won a Big championship or made it into the NCAA tourney. Guess you wanted him gone yesterday, especially given all the great lacrosse talent in Jersey. Oh yeah almost forgot Civico, field hockey coach for the last several years who has never won the Big Ten & made it into the NCAA tourney maybe once despite great Jersey talent. And we can't forget Goodall with wrestling who has yet to fulfill the programs potential given all of the great wrestlers in the State. But no, lets can a guy who has brought his team into the NCAA's all eight years he has been the head coach, better than any current coach. Oh I forgot it's the very top or bust for women's soccer. When you start universally applying that standard across the board maybe we can talk again. Till then I think we should agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Well Scarlet who else should be gone out of the junkyard? Start naming them any time you like. Let's see Schiano never won a conference title, couldn't win the big games & was loaded with future NFL players. With that record not only wasn't he let go, but after he left of his own accord he was rehired by Hobbs. Seems as though he should be high on your list according to your standards. But no, lets can a guy who has brought his team into the NCAA's all eight years he has been the head coach better than any current coach. Oh I forgot it's the very top or bust. When you start universally applying that standard across the board maybe we can talk again. Till then I think we should agree to disagree.

Clearly the junkyard comment went over your head. So I’ll clear it up. Saying ur the most successful program in the athletic department when u were surround with crap like men’s basketball, volleyball, softball, women’s lax, men’s soccer, baseball etc is not something to brag about.

As for other coaches, everyone should be held accountable to the highest standard. I cited CVS as next on my list to go. MLax bought some time with a massive haul in the transfer portal but he’s next as well after Stringer. Everyone else is in the infantile stages of their tenure here so I’ll be patient.

There is nothing to really disagree about. You have yet again failed to answer any of the questions I proposed to you. I gave you the opportunity to sell me on being patient on Mike and you can’t. You’ve made this about everyone else but Mike O.

Clearly the junkyard comment went over your head. So I’ll clear it up. Saying ur the most successful program in the athletic department when u were surround with crap like men’s basketball, volleyball, softball, women’s lax, men’s soccer, baseball etc is not something to brag about.

As for other coaches, everyone should be held accountable to the highest standard. I cited CVS as next on my list to go. MLax bought some time with a massive haul in the transfer portal but he’s next as well after Stringer. Everyone else is in the infantile stages of their tenure here so I’ll be patient.

There is nothing to really disagree about. You have yet again failed to answer any of the questions I proposed to you. I gave you the opportunity to sell me on being patient on Mike and you can’t. You’ve made this about everyone else but Mike O.
I've made my case crystal clear. And nothing went over my head. You haven't responded to my points other than to keep moving the goal post. Good luck with your crusade. I think we understand each other.

I've made my case crystal clear. And nothing went over my head. You haven't responded to my points other than to keep moving the goal post. Good luck with your crusade. I think we understand each other.

you have not answered one question other to say we’ve made the ncaa that’s it.

what goals posts have been moved ? What have I not responded to?

The results aren’t there. Not sure what else to tell you. The program has peaked and it’s time for change. Programs move on from coaches all the time and “successful” ones in many cases. This should be a perennial sweet 16 team + and we’re far from that these days. We’re settling for comfort instead of striving for dominance. So we make the tournament? That’s a minimal expectation. What else have you seen that gives you any confidence we’re a top tier program?
You realize Mike controls PDA, which means he controls most of the top flight NJ recruits. if you change coaches, it will become a lot harder to recruit NJ.

You realize Mike controls PDA, which means he controls most of the top flight NJ recruits. if you change coaches, it will become a lot harder to recruit NJ.

If you keep losing 1st round tourney games, due to a lack of scoring, it’s gonna be “hard to recruit” NJ as well.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper

Yes I’m well aware. Maybe you can enlighten us as to what these PDA players have accomplished in their time on the banks cause anyone who follows the program knows they are talented...If they are not to blame then who is? Mike? If it’s his fault then why are we keeping him?

The biggest mistake this program made was promoting Mike after Crooks left and essentially getting in bed with PDA for good. Now we’re stuck with Mike cause no one wants to cut the pipeline or thinks anyone else can recruit NJ. So we’ll just settle for spinning our wheels.

A few points:
1] Naturally I am disappointed with our result on occasion. I also get frustrated as Dentist does on our inability to consistently deliver good corner kicks. And I would love to see us win the BIG & go deep into the NCAA tourney. That being said, I have greatly enjoyed watching a consistently very very good soccer team & program for the past almost 10 yrs.
2] Scarlett has erected an extremely high bar & standard for O'Neill & the soccer program which he has selectively applied--elite national status on a consistent basis. However he has not applied it or anything near it to other programs, ie-those I cited in a previous post. O'Neill has coached his team to the NCAA's every year he's had them & has consistently had them as one of the Big Ten's best.
3] Despite O'Neill's success with the team & program some are calling for his scalp because he hasn't reached the pinnacle. In essence, he is the victim of his own success.
4]Those who continue to call for the unrealistic & inappropriate termination of O'Neill can continue to beat the drum & beat a dead horse. I have made my last comment on the subject.

Last edited:
A few points:
1] Naturally I am disappointed with our result on occasion. I also get frustrated as Dentist does on our inability to consistently deliver good corner kicks. And I would love to see us win the BIG & go deep into the NCAA tourney. That being said, I have greatly enjoyed watching a consistently very very good soccer team & program for the past almost 10 yrs.
2] Scarlett has erected an extremely high bar & standard for O'Neill & the soccer program which he has selectively applied--elite national status on a consistent basis. However he has not applied it or anything near it to other programs, ie-those I cited in a previous post. O'Neill has coached his team to the NCAA's every year he's had them & has consistently had them as one of the Big Ten's best.
3] Despite O'Neill's success with the team & program some are calling for his scalp because he hasn't reached the pinnacle. In essence, he is the victim of his own success.
4]Those who continue to call for the unrealistic & inappropriate termination of O'Neill can continue to beat the drum & beat a dead horse. I have made my last comment on the subject.

Again, willing to see him make some magic with the current and incoming crop of frosh AND honestly, truly hope he does it! Shit I hope he pulls it off this year!

A few points:
A few points:

1/ Ok so you essentially like going to games and satisfied with the job mike is doing.

2/ Show me where I said elite national status?What the extremely high bar? Expecting them to beat CCS in their home field? Shame on me. I clearly applied it WBB. I cited MLax as well. Many have been calling for his head but he bought himself some time after crushing the transfer portal and being ranked #5 currently. Wrestling? Gooddale absolutely had heat on him. But three all Americans and two national semifinalists are certainly excellent accomplishments. Civico? Sure we can move on from her but this wasn’t a field hockey thread so.. Schiano? Absolutely if he doesn’t get it done then he should go as well. I made it crystal clear that everyone should be held accountable for their performance. Hobbs has done a tremendous job of cleaning out dead wood annually but he shouldn’t stop there.

3/ pinnacle? No one said that. Expecting maybe a conference title or maybe some sweet 16s is not the pinnacle. It’s reasonable. Winning a home game in the first round is not the pinnacle. It’s expected. You want to talk about corner kicks. It’s so much deeper than that.

4/ I will ask you the questions yet again because for some reason u refuse to answer them. As you said, you have watched the team for 10 years so this should be easy.

Again, where do you draw the line here? What have you seen on the field from this program that gives you any confidence that this program is top tier like it should be with the level a talent recruited? What growth has this program shown over the last eight years that gives you this blind faith that mike deserves more time? Why is it acceptable that Mike took an opening day win vs. PSU and is short order has essentially squandered it away yet again?

mmmm, i might as well chime in here....i know very little about the game of soccer, and the strategy used by a coach. including game prep but, here's how i see it.,like clockwork, the trinity of, ladies hoops, soccer, and mens lacrosse always start the season with great expectations, and end up with the same results.
either not making the ncaa's, or doing a one , and done......in big games these three teams never achieve the desired outcome to match their talent level.....why?............are the coaches to blame?....do they not have the juice to light a fire under their players....this frustrates the hell out of me, and i'm only a senior with time on his hands...wanting his state univ. to succeed......pat hobbs has hired some real program builders recently, and it shows.....i agree with some on here who think he should evaluate each situation, and determine whether to have a sit down with each coach....that is what he was hired for....it's easy to have the talk when a team is really bad, but when each of these teams have a certain level of success it's a touchy situation.......c.viv...will not be getting the talk.......and depending on how the season plays out for coach o ,including another let down in the post season .this will need to be addressed , and the same for lacrosse....your in the big ten to compete, and win championships........so who will be our first big ten champ?

Sometimes I think Rutgers falls short because of its location ... maybe it’s the air, maybe it’s the water, maybe it’s negativity ... just seems like RU has more WTF moments and let downs than every other DIVISION 1 school.

Sometimes I think Rutgers falls short because of its location ... maybe it’s the air, maybe it’s the water, maybe it’s negativity ... just seems like RU has more WTF moments and let downs than every other DIVISION 1 school.
It has to do with the fact that we have so many people rooting against us. People love to hate RU. The media perpetuates this wave of negativity as well. Look no further than Sunday night. Millions of people crushed us on Sunday night on social media. About a quarter of them actually watch the game on Friday night.

It has nothing to do with location. It’s about mental attitude and killer instinct.

A few points:
Dad I just think many are frustrated in the defense first style he plays and the line up he puts on the field in the he never plays 3 forwards if you watch them they always literally bring 9 back on defense with Amirah the only one on top and many times when she gets the ball she is literally on an island by herself and when you have the talent he brings in this why I along with others get frustrated because that’s a coaching style that’s coaching to not lose and you know what happens then!! Just look at the men’s hoops team in the NCAA!!
Bottom line is we want all are sports to do well compete for championships and as myself as someone who has been following Rutgers faithfully and even played a sport at Rutgers it’s just frustrating when you see these girls who we know can be a top top team

Dad I just think many are frustrated in the defense first style he plays and the line up he puts on the field in the he never plays 3 forwards if you watch them they always literally bring 9 back on defense with Amirah the only one on top and many times when she gets the ball she is literally on an island by herself and when you have the talent he brings in this why I along with others get frustrated because that’s a coaching style that’s coaching to not lose and you know what happens then!! Just look at the men’s hoops team in the NCAA!!
Bottom line is we want all are sports to do well compete for championships and as myself as someone who has been following Rutgers faithfully and even played a sport at Rutgers it’s just frustrating when you see these girls who we know can be a top top team
Dentist I get it, but actually he seems to be playing more forward lately. Actually threw everything at Nebby. Think maybe he needs to try Amirah at attacking middie to get her loose. I know he tried it a couple of times in the past to no avail but might be time to try again. She needs to find some room. Don't think she had a shot on goal against Nebby.
Also think Neeka needs to have a seat. A little better but still rough with the ball at her feet. Like Allison Lowrey. Very strong & aggressive.

Indian burial ground?

Dentist I get it, but actually he seems to be playing more forward lately. Actually threw everything at Nebby. Think maybe he needs to try Amirah at attacking middie to get her loose. I know he tried it a couple of times in the past to no avail but might be time to try again. She needs to find some room. Don't think she had a shot on goal against Nebby.
Also think Neeka needs to have a seat. A little better but still rough with the ball at her feet. Like Allison Lowrey. Very strong & aggressive.
Dad I have not watched admittedly much this year but judging by 2 years ago I agree 100% on Neeka her foot skills are terrible and I and my daughter who we went to most games together I like the idea about Amirah in the middle but I don’t think she has the stamina to play mid but you know the roster better this year and there has to be ways to get Amirah the ball other than counterattack

Dad I have not watched admittedly much this year but judging by 2 years ago I agree 100% on Neeka her foot skills are terrible and I and my daughter who we went to most games together I like the idea about Amirah in the middle but I don’t think she has the stamina to play mid but you know the roster better this year and there has to be ways to get Amirah the ball other than counterattack
Yes. Amirah seems to have more stamina now. Doesn't come out as much. Plays the full game & OT sometimes.

Rich, this is the polite way of saying Mike strategizes poorly. Not to mention he makes limited in-game adjustments and few changes from match to match. Taking it a step further, I question their film review and the advanced scouting of their opponents. We never play to our opponent’s weakness(es) and exploit vulnerabilities that would make it substantially easier to put the ball in the net. Every match is a prayer that we score a goal and shut our opponent out.

Again, come post-season if I’m Amirah play “stop me if you can” this year.

0-0 so far ... UW dominating the stats ... think the only way RU wins the regular season is if PSU enters COVID-19 protocol

ADVERTISEMENT