ADVERTISEMENT

No. 19 Rutgers Wrestling Set for 2022 Garden State Grapple Sunday at Prudential Center

Some thoughts about the day:

1- DP looks really good. Like AA good. Shawver had a gritty win and may have beaten Miller too, but I don't think he'd have dominated him. So glad we have these two. Looking forward to Midlands! Who do we put out vs. Princeton?

2- Huge win for Heilman. He needed that. He's had a few losses vs guys ranked higher.

3- Great win for Sammy against Ferrante, but I would have liked to see some more points scored. Ferrente is no slouch though. He gets to practice with McKenna and Composto if I'm not mistaken.

4- Tony White is hanging in there. He's probably faced the toughest schedule of any of our guys thus far. While he's come up on the losing end, he's gaining massive experience. Looking forward to his break out match. Still think he will be a mulit AA.

5- Clark hangs in with a tough wrestler, but no offense. Looking forward to seeing more of him. DeSantis is a solid back up right now and has shown huge growth.

6- 165: I would really like to see C.O. take some shots. I don't think anything good happens when you rely on counters the whole match. While I think he stacked Ravino, there's no reason why he should of lost that. Where is Kannaird? Haven't seen anyone answer this. I would like to see him go 165 or at least challenge the spot.

7- 174: Huge Turley fan, but he looked a little lost out there. There's just so many question marks here. I don't know if it's confidence, conditioning, still recovering, or lack of desire, but it pains me to see him losing to guys that he's better than. He used to wrestle angry and now he's very timid. I really want to see the switch flipped to that madman again. Nothing better than seeing him pumble guys. I really hope he finds that level again. Also, if it is purely a recovery/hasn't wrestled in a while thing, then I apologize in advance for even throwing out lack of desire. Again, big fan, but can't help stating what I perceive from a distance.

8- Soldano did his job. Anyone disappointed that he didn't pin shouldn't be disappointed. I think his match against the 5th year senior (Drexel) was impressive. That was a veteran vs. a true freshman. Brian has a lot of high expectations and frankly is carrying his weight. Kid has the swagger too. He'll be jumping levels with more experience as well.

9- Janzer won a blue collared match against Penn. That kid is much better than his rank indicates. To not get turned was huge. Nice duck under too. Just wish he had taken some shots but it sounds like he's still recovering, if not still in pain.

10- We finally have a heavyweight. Boone might not be a top 5 guy, but he looks great out there. We saw a lot of offense. The size has really helped him immensely. His conditioning greatly improved. Looks like having Lawson around has been helpful.
Really looking forward to seeing him vs. B1G. I think he may end up pulling some upsets.

Overall Team: Gritty win against Penn. Great win. There was a lot of chirping from Penn over the last few years. Hopefully this helps draw in some kids. We're only a few recruits or transfers away from jumping to the next level. Big match vs. Princeton this week. Hope everyone heals and shows up for it. They got pumbled by Wisconsin and MSU.
Solid write up. Some good, some not so good. But stuff to work on from the top to bottom of our lineup.

Reactions: njsportsphan
We should be able to handle Princeton based on what I saw from them vs Wisconsin and Sparty. Peterson/Shawver can hold Glory to a decision and I think Clark has enough defense and can keep Quincy Monday from making too much damage at 157. Outside of that, I'm not really scared of anyone else Princeton has at this point.

Anyone know how young our team is compared to others? It seems to me like it's super young in a sport where normally you have upperclassmen outside of true superstars.

Thanks. He had the look where he was having fun hurting kids. It was awesom and terrifying. I know he's got it in him.
I like Turley when he's on. I've expressed doubts that he and Janzer will recover well and not become reinjured. It's playing out now. I had big hopes for Turley. I was disappointed to see him start slow every year with apparent conditioning issues. He has gotten better as the years progressed, except for when he became injured. I've been watching for signs of problems since his style can be hard on the shoulders. I haven't noticed him favoring a shoulder, but he isn't wrestling like he used to. I hope it's another late start and nothing more. My initial concerns at 174 and 197 remain. Half the weight classes show weakness with only White and (a big maybe) Turley with improvement potential.

So far with the results to date, I think Shawver and Peterson have shown to be nearly equal. Neither can redshirt, so how will a decision be made? It seems to me that the most fair way would be the dreaded wrestle-off. Otherwise, there would be some hard feelings. Shawver has been the kind of kid we want. He came and improved every year he has been with the program; that can't be said for all. I'd hate to see him leave. If they are both going to stay with the program, a plan needs to be put in place sooner than later. If that plan has one of them moving to 133, make a decision and start conditioning that one to be ready at the weight for next year or sooner.

Reactions: FoxRU
So far with the results to date, I think Shawver and Peterson have shown to be nearly equal. Neither can redshirt, so how will a decision be made? It seems to me that the most fair way would be the dreaded wrestle-off. Otherwise, there would be some hard feelings. Shawver has been the kind of kid we want. He came and improved every year he has been with the program; that can't be said for all. I'd hate to see him leave. If they are both going to stay with the program, a plan needs to be put in place sooner than later. If that plan has one of them moving to 133, make a decision and start conditioning that one to be ready at the weight for next year or sooner.
Agreed. Shawver, has already made some noise knocking off McKee twice. He has constantly improved and stays healthy. You just don't hear anything bad about the kid. I would hate to see him leave, but I think he truly enjoys RU. We'll see how the next few weeks pan out, but I think a wrestle off is going to have to happen with these two. They are both doing an exceptional job, but unfortunately this is what happens when you're a part of a good program.

I would love it if he and DP figure out the 125/133 situation for the next 2 years. DP look like a big 125lb'er IMO. Crazy how we have this situation with 184 as well.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Agreed. Shawver, has already made some noise knocking off McKee twice. He has constantly improved and stays healthy. You just don't hear anything bad about the kid. I would hate to see him leave, but I think he truly enjoys RU. We'll see how the next few weeks pan out, but I think a wrestle off is going to have to happen with these two. They are both doing an exceptional job, but unfortunately this is what happens when you're a part of a good program.

I would love it if he and DP figure out the 125/133 situation for the next 2 years. DP look like a big 125lb'er IMO. Crazy how we have this situation with 184 as well.
Heilmann is here only for this season, right? If so, maybe one of Peterson/Shawver can hit the weights and move up to 133 next year. Both are really talented and I'd hate to see one leave in the portal.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Heilmann is here only for this season, right? If so, maybe one of Peterson/Shawver can hit the weights and move up to 133 next year. Both are really talented and I'd hate to see one leave in the portal.
Yeah. I think he has two years of eligibility but expressed that this is his last year (unless that's someone else I'm thinking of).

Reactions: bigmatt718
I like Turley when he's on. I've expressed doubts that he and Janzer will recover well and not become reinjured. It's playing out now. I had big hopes for Turley. I was disappointed to see him start slow every year with apparent conditioning issues. He has gotten better as the years progressed, except for when he became injured. I've been watching for signs of problems since his style can be hard on the shoulders. I haven't noticed him favoring a shoulder, but he isn't wrestling like he used to. I hope it's another late start and nothing more. My initial concerns at 174 and 197 remain. Half the weight classes show weakness with only White and (a big maybe) Turley with improvement potential.
We gotta stop making excuses.. if they r truly injured they shouldn’t be wrestling.. I think we are expecting too much.. Turley is about the same lvl wrestler he was before he went psycho Turley at nationals for the surprise AA.. he had the buster Douglas taking out Tyson fire that time and I still think that was just an outlier performance..hope I’m wrong

DP has a slight edge rn in terms of AA potential.. but Shawver proving to everyone he jumped a lvl this year… they both had similar results(DP major miller gives him slight edge for me) so.. Midlands will be the next big “indicator” who should go in march..

Why is everyone jumping the gun on how someone might leave?? What happened to the let’s have 3 national qualifier lvl wrestler mentality at every weight lol. Heilman is only this year so 125/33 both open next year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT