ADVERTISEMENT

No. 20 Rutgers Field Hockey Travels to No. 2 Maryland for BTN Game Sunday

Kept it close … 1 out of 3 today (really 1 out of 4 but I never count WVB)

Absolutely screwed. Refs did everything in their power to make sure that Terps won. They were supposed to win.

Last edited:
Absolutely screwed. Ref did everything in their power to make sure that Terps won. They were supposed to win.
True, but Howard messed up on that last Md goal, letting it squirt through her pads.

An all around tremendous effort by the ladies, and I should say Howard played an outstanding game until that last goal, including making a ridiculous diving save with the Terp player at point blank range.

RUDAD, maybe you can educate me, because I'm not somebody who understands field hockey that well. But I watched the entire game, and saw team B dominate team A until the last three minutes. Team A's single shot, on a penalty, no less, over the first 45 minutes or so (if I am not mistaken) made it into the goal, and Team A's goalie stood on her head, so that her team held a 1-0 lead at halftime. But Team B controlled the ball and had it in Team A's end most of the game, running play after play and taking shot after shot.

What did you see to come the the conclusion that the referees delivered the game to Team B? Honest question.

Last edited:
RUDAD, maybe you can educate me, because I'm not somebody who understands field hockey that well. But I watched the entire game, and saw team B dominate team A until the last three minutes. Team A's single shot, on a penalty, no less, over the first 45 minutes or so (if I am not mistaken) made it into the goal, and Team A's goalie stood on her head, so that her team held a 1-0 lead at halftime. But Team B controlled the ball and had it in Team A's end most of the game, running play after play and taking shot after shot.

What did you see to come the the conclusion that the referees delivered the game to Team B? Honest question.
They didn't. Sometimes, believe it or not, better teams simply draw penalties because they are the BETTER team and your opponent is playing a little more hectic, a little rougher, a little less smart, etc., and shit happens. It was a valiant effort by RU, and this side has come A LONG WAY the past 2 months, but we just beat #3 and took #2 to the wire. Things are looking bright for the future!

They didn't. Sometimes, believe it or not, better teams simply draw penalties because they are the BETTER team and your opponent is playing a little more hectic, a little rougher, a little less smart, etc., and shit happens. It was a valiant effort by RU, and this side has come A LONG WAY the past 2 months, but we just beat #3 and took #2 to the wire. Things are looking bright for the future!
Did you see the game?

dconifer, Maryland is ranked #2 nationally for a reason. They are a good team. They also have a deserved reputation as a top tier team. And yes they controlled the ball for a great deal of the game. Some of that was probably by design, as I think that Meredith didn't want to play run & gun with the Terps very potent offense & relied on us playing good D. By the same token every time there was a contested play Maryland was given the ball. Many of those should have gone to RU.
They had a series of consecutive penalty corners called for them some of which were undeserved.
RU was called for fouls that were phantom calls & resulted in RU playing a girl down for 2 min.
On several occasions the announcers commented that a call was unfortunate for Rutgers which meant it was bogus. For them to say that is a lot. Not an expert either, but had a daughter play D1 hockey, & know enough to know what I saw.

ADVERTISEMENT