ADVERTISEMENT

No. 21/19 Rutgers Women's Soccer Off to Midwest for Matchups with Iowa (Fri) and Nebraska (Sun)

Great game ladies!!!
RU 1, Indy 0
No offense, but I hope football scores more than you!!!!
RRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Additional thoughts-- thought our girls were very organized & disciplined, especially in the D1/3. We moved the ball well all over the pitch. Felt that we were also more dangerous than Iowa. Don't know about anyone else but thought Amirah was mugged in the box for what should have been a PK. Felt that we played with confidence. Amanda Visco who scored with a header off a corner is really tough with those headers. On to Nebraska. It's a 5 hr bus ride. The girls will have to dig deep on a quick turn around.

Last edited:
4-2 in conference and 3rd place in the B1G!
3 game winning streak!!!!!
Keep it going versus Nebraska ladies!!!!!!!

Reactions: ChasRC69
Additional thoughts-- thought our girls were very organized & disciplined, especially in the D1/3. We moved the ball well all over the pitch. Felt that we were also more dangerous than Iowa. Don't know about anyone else but thought Amirah was mugged in the box for what should have been a PK. Felt that we played with confidence. Amanda Visco who scored with a header off a corner is really tough with those headers. On to Nebraska. It's a 5 hr bus ride. The girls will have to dig deep on a quick turn around.
Agree with you 100% about Amirah no question that should have been a PK; I mainly watched the second half as I watched the whole men's game; Great win still played a little too defensive especially the last 30 minutes and I would like to see us again as we discussed quicker on our passes; Brittany had a great threat with I think about 10 minutes to go and for some reason dribbled into the middle again and did she not only not get a pass off but she lost the ball not sure how this is not pointed out to the girls in film room

Reactions: RUonBrain
Agree with you 100% about Amirah no question that should have been a PK; I mainly watched the second half as I watched the whole men's game; Great win still played a little too defensive especially the last 30 minutes and I would like to see us again as we discussed quicker on our passes; Brittany had a great threat with I think about 10 minutes to go and for some reason dribbled into the middle again and did she not only not get a pass off but she lost the ball not sure how this is not pointed out to the girls in film room
Thought our passing was much improved in Iowa & Northwestern games over previous several. Thought it was a good move keeping Provenzano at center D. Though not as fast as Swaby, she is very steady & makes good decisions. Liked moving Swaby up to mid. She added something to the attack. On Amirah, don't know how the Ref could have missed that. It was in the open & he was right there. Other than that thought he reffed a very good & consistent game.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Thought our passing was much improved in Iowa & Northwestern games over previous several. Thought it was a good move keeping Provenzano at center D. Though not as fast as Swaby, she is very steady & makes good decisions. Liked moving Swaby up to mid. She added something to the attack. On Amirah, don't know how the Ref could have missed that. It was in the open & he was right there. Other than that thought he reffed a very good & consistent game.
I watched game on my phone so hard to see at times especially the numbers. As you said if they moved Swaby to mid I like that although my daughter who does play soccer and has gone to a couple of games with me suggested they move Amirah to center mid

I watched game on my phone so hard to see at times especially the numbers. As you said if they moved Swaby to mid I like that although my daughter who does play soccer and has gone to a couple of games with me suggested they move Amirah to center mid
During the last few games they have moved Brittany to attacking center mid during the game.

Dentist, we have I believe rightly criticized our corners. Yesterday, Taylor delivered a beautiful cross for Amanda's header.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Won't hear me say this often, but....a good tie on the road, after a very long trip for the girls. A couple thoughts. Not sure how I feel about Swaby in the mid field, while at times it created a few more offensive chances, it also hurts the defense, she actually got in the way a few times and she doesn't see the game offensively, didn't finish a couple easy chances, where someine else on the same end of tge ball may??? just fast forward. Now at times that makes a lot of sense.....perhaps late in a game, OT, etc. Amirah goals was a nice individual effort after the setup from LaPlant and Swaby but may have had 2 better options with a back door through run and one in front of her, just still holding a bit too long at times which breaks up the attack. They definitely looked tired, but rightly so and why I say good tie. The goal we gave up was due to poor defense. Still playing back too much, need to find that last past, a lot of wasted runs. Overall a very good effort and big points on the road. They now need to rest up and heal for a strong finish, clean up the little things.

Won't hear me say this often, but....a good tie on the road, after a very long trip for the girls. A couple thoughts. Not sure how I feel about Swaby in the mid field, while at times it created a few more offensive chances, it also hurts the defense, she actually got in the way a few times and she doesn't see the game offensively, didn't finish a couple easy chances, where someine else on the same end of tge ball may??? just fast forward. Now at times that makes a lot of sense.....perhaps late in a game, OT, etc. Amirah goals was a nice individual effort after the setup from LaPlant and Swaby but may have had 2 better options with a back door through run and one in front of her, just still holding a bit too long at times which breaks up the attack. They definitely looked tired, but rightly so and why I say good tie. The goal we gave up was due to poor defense. Still playing back too much, need to find that last past, a lot of wasted runs. Overall a very good effort and big points on the road. They now need to rest up and heal for a strong finish, clean up the little things.
The usual suspects: Yes on Swaby. Missed two easy chances either one of which would have meant the game. Have to bury them. Also, once again she failed to see a wide open LaPlant outside the 18 & instead tried to force a pass to Amirah or Nneka in the middle. Amirah really held on to the ball too long & tried to beat 3 defenders on one occasion. Tierney once again played with the ball & coughed it up in our D 1/3 which led to a Husker sequence of possession & the goal. Nneka continued to run people over & collect fouls, & continued to have major problems with the ball at her feet. Nicole Binkley continues to pass to the other team.

I don't consider this a good tie. I understand that it represents a point. But this is a game we should have won against this Nebraska team. We let them off the hook & gain momentum. Poor execution on our part cost us dearly.

The usual suspects: Yes on Swaby. Missed two easy chances either one of which would have meant the game. Have to bury them. Also, once again she failed to see a wide open LaPlant outside the 18 & instead tried to force a pass to Amirah or Nneka in the middle. Amirah really held on to the ball too long & tried to beat 3 defenders on one occasion. Tierney once again played with the ball & coughed it up in our D 1/3 which led to a Husker sequence of possession & the goal. Nneka continued to run people over & collect fouls, & continued to have major problems with the ball at her feet. Nicole Binkley continues to pass to the other team.

I don't consider this a good tie. I understand that it represents a point. But this is a game we should have won against this Nebraska team. We let them off the hook & gain momentum. Poor execution on our part cost us dearly.
Did not see game at all as my daughter had fall lacrosse tournament but as you say RUDAD02 these are problems we have talked about all season and things that if you and KillerBee are bring every game you would think they should be corrected by our coaching staff at this level and I am not sure why they are not. Also hate to single out a girl but Nneka is a liability and also if you watch her closely is very lazy out there. In the early games I saw I think the freshman Regan Berg is a better all around player and not sure why she doesn’t see the field more

Forgot our corners & direct kicks at which Taylor continues, for the most part, to be totally inadequate. Execution!!!

What baffles me is the substitutions or lack thereof. We have several players that saw lots of action last year and none or very little this year....Hendley, Maya Daniels, Ashley Atubi to name a few. Then there are many players this year that have played significant minutes or even started a game and then hardly see the field again... for example Katona, Harrigan, Aronov, Berg, and Goldstein (who filled in excellently for Swaby during her first absence).
We used to have a great advantage late in games b/c we would wear the other team down with our fresh legs. Of course, there could be some injuries but certainly not all of them. Just seems strange.

What baffles me is the substitutions or lack thereof. We have several players that saw lots of action last year and none or very little this year....Hendley, Maya Daniels, Ashley Atubi to name a few. Then there are many players this year that have played significant minutes or even started a game and then hardly see the field again... for example Katona, Harrigan, Aronov, Berg, and Goldstein (who filled in excellently for Swaby during her first absence).
We used to have a great advantage late in games b/c we would wear the other team down with our fresh legs. Of course, there could be some injuries but certainly not all of them. Just seems strange.
Many have been &/or are injured--Hendley, Katona, Goldstein, Harrigan. Atubi & Daniels have not proven up to the task. Berg, while big & pretty fast, has proven to lack the skill level thus far. Thus far Mike is really using all the girls that are up to the task that he has available.

One girl that I thought looked good in past seasons in the limited action that she got was Jezlyn Jiminez. She played in the middle &, though small, looked quick, skilled & with a good soccer sense. She is a junior. Not sure what is going on with her. Would like to see her get a run. We could use help there.

1-0-1 with the tie coming in the backside of a long road trip. Exactly what was needed. 2-0-0 would have been outstanding but they GOT THE JOB DONE fellas. Period,

Did you see the game?

So NOT the point. 1-0-1 ON THE ROAD with a flight, game, a long bus trip, then a tie on the back side against two teams that started the weekend in the top half of the conference standings, is a damn good outcome. Perfect, no, but most HC’s would be headed home with smiles on their faces.

Sorry if you don’t agree and obviously there are concerns - there ALWAYS are unless you win the National Title - but that was a very good weekend.

So NOT the point. 1-0-1 ON THE ROAD with a flight, game, a long bus trip, then a tie on the back side against two teams that started the weekend in the top half of the conference standings, is a damn good outcome. Perfect, no, but most HC’s would be headed home with smiles on their faces.

Sorry if you don’t agree and obviously there are concerns - there ALWAYS are unless you win the National Title - but that was a very good weekend.
I take it then that you didn't see the game. We should have beaten Nebraska on Sunday & had 3 points. That's what should have happened & then it would have been a good outcome. You are certainly entitled to your opinion & I am not going to argue the point.

I take it then that you didn't see the game. We should have beaten Nebraska on Sunday & had 3 points. That's what should have happened & then it would have been a good outcome. You are certainly entitled to your opinion & I am not going to argue the point.

The results were very good, 6 points would have been fantastic.

Many have been &/or are injured--Hendley, Katona, Goldstein, Harrigan. Atubi & Daniels have not proven up to the task. Berg, while big & pretty fast, has proven to lack the skill level thus far. Thus far Mike is really using all the girls that are up to the task that he has available.
Jezlyn and Hayley Baer are in walking casts. Mya and Hendley have been hurt since day oneDana and Shea both have recurring disc issues. Harrigan I don’t know. swaby had her thigh taped vrs the Huskers. Tierney rolled her ankle a month ago. Who knows if it’s 100

The correct players are playing, this is a talented squad, yes, there are limitations in some areas, mid field lacks speed, so you plan accordingly, move some players, have been experimenting with Swaby, which I feel cost the team on both offense and defense Sunday, by perhaps with a game or 2 its a good move? Just need to make adjustments throughout the game based on what the game gives you and the other teams strengths and weaknesses, R has not capitalized on mismatches. For example LaPlant will almost always if not always be faster and more technical than one of the opposing teams outside back, set it up and target it. Need to move the ball forward, especially in transition, first thought is still always, always back, catch a team off guard, pile up the goals, an attacking mentality and look for the pass in the final 1/3rd as soon as it's touches. Then play possession defense once you have a comfortable lead. Hate to mention names but Amirah at target up top gets a lot of quality touches, she works,hard to do so, but she needs to receive, turn, and look to distribute immediately, look for those runs by the outside forwards and overlapping mids, and the goals will pile up! They have proven it. The defense is and always has been solid, I personally feel R also has the talent to be one of the top offensive teams in the Nation, they have speed, individual skill to go 1 v 1, just share the ball, get on the same page......constant pressure, wear defenses down. I am not sure where Nekka should be right now, if she is going to be effective it has to be out in front with space, so she has time to set and shoot, just not sure in possession style play.....Also need to rethink restarts, we have 2 goals on corners, I cannot recall the last time R scored on a set piece. There must be a player that can strike a ball hard and on frame from 25 in! At least then there's a chance for a rebound. Make some changes with who is playing......

Reactions: richthedentist
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT