ADVERTISEMENT

No. 25 Rutgers Baseball Wraps Up Regular Season at Michigan

More futility at the plate. Two on, no outs, top of the line up coming up. Fly out, double play.

Michigan up 8-7 … looks like the dream will be over tonight. Even if RU won tonight and tomorrow, no way Purdue upsets Maryland.

I think the Terps won’t start Ramsey tomorrow if they play. That will help Purdue.

lol Maryland at number 3 RPI at the moment.

• Wow
Reactions: RUshore99
Pretty pathetic ending. One of the worst pitching staffs in the conference held RU scoreless over the last 5 innings. Lasko,Cimillo and Brito struck out swinging to end the game , a 9-7 loss. A game RU led 7-2.

Besides RU, there are four conference teams with winning conference records and RU played three of them. They lost the series to each of them.

Owens better reconsider any notions about upgrading the OOC schedule.

We gave this game away again with walks and no hitting from the 3,4 & 5 spots. Our catcher who was hitting over .400 has gone 0-10 in these two games. I feel sorry for Coach Owens as these guys have played so well all season and Michigan has outplayed RU in both of these games. We could wind up # 4 in the conference if we lose again tomorrow. We had been first place in the BIG 10 the entire season.

Pretty pathetic ending. One of the worst pitching staffs in the conference held RU scoreless over the last 5 innings. Lasko,Cimillo and Brito struck out swinging to end the game , a 9-7 loss. A game RU led 7-2.

Besides RU, there are four conference teams with winning conference records and RU played three of them. They lost the series to each of them.

Owens better reconsider any notions about upgrading the OOC schedule.
Just want recruits want to hear, “we don’t want to play tough out of conference games since we might lose.” That will really bring in more fans to the new stadium, bring in top recruits, and elevate the image of New Jersey’s Baseball Team.

Reactions: rufeelinit
1-4 in last 5 B1G feels like watching RU vs Houston in the NCAAs in basketball.

Just want recruits want to hear, “we don’t want to play tough out of conference games since we might lose.” That will really bring in more fans to the new stadium, bring in top recruits, and elevate the image of New Jersey’s Baseball Team.
Losing series to Maryland, Iowa and Michigan don’t help in that regard. Neither do inexcusable losses to in state rivals Princeton and Seton Hall. What Rutgers needs now more than a new scoreboard or field lights are quality pitchers. Those other things are needed window dressing as well, but getting better players should be the priority. Yes, better facilities could help. I think Owens is building the proper foundation and the program is headed in the right direction. RU came close against Iowa and Maryland and were heads and shoulders better than the conference foes they played. Not sure how they would fare vs the Illini. Their performance against Michigan almost falls into the choke category.

The challenge Rutgers faces is that top pitching recruits prefer playing at a southern univerity or on the west coast because of the weather. Its not likely the transfer portal will be the answer for pitchers.

The challenge Rutgers faces is that top pitching recruits prefer playing at a southern univerity or on the west coast because of the weather. Its not likely the transfer portal will be the answer for pitchers.
UConn seems to attract some pretty good pitching. They are currently ranked #3 in team E.R.A. behind only Tennessee and Southern Miss and ahead of UCLA. What's their excuse?

Edit- I just took a quick look at UConn's roster and almost all of their pitchers are from New England or Mid-Atlantci region (3 kids from NJ are on their roster)

Last edited:
Losing series to Maryland, Iowa and Michigan don’t help in that regard. Neither do inexcusable losses to in state rivals Princeton and Seton Hall. What Rutgers needs now more than a new scoreboard or field lights are quality pitchers. Those other things are needed window dressing as well, but getting better players should be the priority. Yes, better facilities could help. I think Owens is building the proper foundation and the program is headed in the right direction. RU came close against Iowa and Maryland and were heads and shoulders better than the conference foes they played. Not sure how they would fare vs the Illini. Their performance against Michigan almost falls into the choke category.
We are in a whole other universe from the previous coach.

18-9 bottom of the 9th. Another pitcher’s duel.
Michigan used 11 pitchers.

UConn seems to attract some pretty good pitching. They are currently ranked #3 in team E.R.A. behind only Tennessee and Southern Miss and ahead of UCLA. What's their excuse?

Edit- I just took a quick look at UConn's roster and almost all of their pitchers are from New England or Mid-Atlantci region (3 kids from NJ are on their roster)
We WILL start getting better/deeper pitching thanks to this season. Regardless of what some naysayers think it’s gonna be a HUGE plus recruiting-wise. Not the top-flight kids, DO NOT misunderstand, but the guys SHU and UConn tend to snag.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
RU holds on 18-12 to take the series finale and avoid the sweep. They did it their way- with the bats. Michigan put up huge numbers in all 3 games but RU was able to outgun them in this one. Looks like they’ll tie for 2Nd in the conference and finish the regular season with 41 wins.
Remarkably successful season considering pre- season expectations.Everyone here who has followed the team this season knows where improvement is needed.

Now ,let’s see if we can pull a surprise and win the conference tournament.

Glad they stopped the bleeding … pressure to win the conference was off so hopefully they played loose. Did not watch the game today.

Wrapping up 2-4 is a lot better than 1-5.

Now let’s see how the chips fall to see if RU finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

41 wins is much better than I expected, but it helped this year not playing Miami and really good teams early and being like 3-11. I am ok with playing bad teams to beef up the record,

Glad they stopped the bleeding … pressure to win the conference was off so hopefully they played loose. Did not watch the game today.

41 wins is much better than I expected, but it helped this year not playing Miami and really good teams early and being like 3-11. I am ok with playing bad teams to beef up the record,
STILL finished #2 in conference play. This is a HUGE step for the program. Playing Miami or not didn’t matter one iota this season. This program learned how to WIN again!

We need to play better competition early on . It will not hurt the team except they might surprise a few.

ADVERTISEMENT