ADVERTISEMENT

No. 4 Rutgers Women's Soccer vs. No. 17 Penn State

even though I hate PSU how do you drop from 8 to 17 with a tie when Duke loses 2 games and is still ranked #5 what a joke

even though I hate PSU how do you drop from 8 to 17 with a tie when Duke loses 2 games and is still ranked #5 what a joke
To be fair, Duke’s two losses are to the current #1 and #3 in the country. Penn State just tied an Indiana team that has scored 3 goals all season and has one win in 7. Those are vastly different in terms of quality opponents. I do think Duke should be lower than 5th but Penn State’s drop is pretty deserved as of now.

To be fair, Duke’s two losses are to the current #1 and #3 in the country. Penn State just tied an Indiana team that has scored 3 goals all season and has one win in 7. Those are vastly different in terms of quality opponents. I do think Duke should be lower than 5th but Penn State’s drop is pretty deserved as of now.
Indiana has also pitched all shutouts.

Reactions: Jules99b
One thing to note about Penn State is that they currently do not have a single win in the current RPI top 90. Yes, you read that right, top 90. They tied #12 in the RPI Georgetown and tied Indiana, who just improved to #87 in the RPI. They lost to #47 Stanford, though Stanford is likely to improve their RPI by the end of the year. All of their other wins are over teams #91 and lower in the RPI. PSU may come into the game desperate for a signature win. The team is going to have to come out with fire to make sure there’s no rivalry upset.

6 of Indiana’s 7 games have ended in 0-0 draws. The one team they scored against is currently #342 in the RPI out of 358. It’s mind-boggling.
Sure is. Heard they have a very good frosh keeper from Germany. Guessing they also pack it in.

Indiana has 2 wins and has now scored 8 goals. They beat Indiana St 3-0 and Trine 5-0 which I think is division 2 or 3. In 8 games Indiana has taken 90 shots with 36 on goal compared to 164 and 82 for Rutgers. There have given up 33 shots on goal vs. 22 for for Rutgers. They have conceded a total of 86 shots compared to 82 for Rutgers. 51 of the 90 shots taken were in the 2 wins, the other 6 games they averaged 6.5 shots about 2 shots on goal so most of their games agains better teams has taken place in the midfield or in their own third.

6 of Indiana’s 7 games have ended in 0-0 draws. The one team they scored against is currently #342 in the RPI out of 358. It’s mind-boggling.
Talk about parking the bus. They must have a few double-deckers.

Will weather be a factor out at PSU? Rain in New Jersey today.

Will weather be a factor out at PSU? Rain in New Jersey today.
NWS forecast is partly sunny, high 65, but with a 20% chance of an isolated shower through around 7:00 p.m. Temps will be in the mid to upper 50s during the game. It will be breezy though, with gusts up to 31 mph. So doesn't appear as if rain will impact the game, but the wind could.

Guessing they also absolutely suck at scoring.
Yup. One of the things that Chris Henderson (the guy whose stats I’ll post on here when they’re available) pointed out is that Indiana isn’t just not scoring, they’re not creating any opportunities either. In a tie, they haven’t had more than 4 SOG. Staggering. For comparison’s sake, Indiana had 8 SOG vs one of the worst teams in the country (340 out of 350) in their singular 3-0 win. Rutgers had 19 SOG vs Temple, who are about 200th out of 350. Indiana’s sophomore GK is very good though. We got a bit lucky last year since she was out with the German u20 team when we played Indiana in Bloomington.

Except for a few minutes when PS scored we are out playing them. Missed on several good opportunities. Girman missed a wide open goal. Need to cash in.

turnover and poor defense lead to another PSU goal. 2-0 now.

Buy a clue.

It looks like a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. Banks is on the left side with Misal.

Mason and Lynch got beat on the right side. Banks ran it down from the back side but got there a little late.

Reactions: TRU2RU and Jules99b
If the streak ends they can get back to work and begin a new streak.

The schedule is a little tougher this year with PSU and Michigan on the road.

It was interesting to hear that Kassidy scored 30 goals and had 17 assists at Curtiss HS in her senior season.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
Whew, hopefully this is their worst effort of the year. Sloppy play from the keeper on up

Whew, hopefully this is their worst effort of the year. Sloppy play from the keeper on up
Yes. Didn't deserve to win it. Thought the play by play guy was going to wet himself for Penn State. The woman wasn't far behind. Pretty well refed game.

Yes. Didn't deserve to win it. Thought the play by play guy was going to wet himself for Penn State. The woman wasn't far behind. Pretty well refed game.
Agree about the announcers. It was hard to listen to at times.

It's pretty much always like that for Penn State soccer. Even last year when we won the game you'd think Penn State was the best thing since sliced bread. Granted they were playing well but even still. Thought the ref let it get a little more physical than usual but otherwise I agree.

If I had to guess, the damp field was throwing the team off of their passing game. Doesn't make it an excuse but it certainly didn't help. As I said, Penn State would be desperate for a result and they played like it. At this point, the team has to learn and move on. Penn State was due, they haven't won against Rutgers since 2018 (ironically off a Tagliaferri assist) and only two players who played today have ever played at Jeffrey Field. A stretch of LSU, OSU and PSU is a pretty rough one, even with two at home. Just gotta regroup and get ready for Maryland on Sunday. Team is still in the conference title race and they shouldn't feel discouraged by a 50/50 game at best going PSU's way.

Not a good game. Sucks to lose to PSU in anything. Hopefully, we learn from this, start a new streak, and are still playing on 12/5.

Disappointing? Yes.
Unexpected? No.

9-1-0 is still a great start. Too bad the team will drop to 8th or 9th in the polls

Couple of thoughts:
Sara Brocius was one girl who played a strong offensive game;
Gia Girman has only one thing in mind in the offensive third--shoot. Not only did her shot from in close miss a wide open net but she missed a wide open Allie Lowrey standing closer to a wide open net for what would have been a tap in. Like Gia but she needs to improve that aspect of her game;
Kalie Daigle continues to want to play with the ball at her feet. Needs to see the play & move the ball much more frequently;
Didn't see Emma Misal in during the latter part of the 2nd half. Hope it wasn't a hammie again.
As Mike O'Neill said--credit to Penn State. These are the kinds of losses you learn from. GO RU!!!

Dad, no one answered my question about pressuring the ball so I’ll ask you.
When watching high level teams be it men or women, I find the teams that allow little time to make a play on the ball and forces the opposition to make a decision quickly are by far the most successful in the long run.
In the second half last night I saw little pressure by us when PSU reversed the ball and all kinds of time for them to make a positive play

ADVERTISEMENT