ADVERTISEMENT

No. 4 Rutgers Women's Soccer vs. No. 17 Penn State

Dad, no one answered my question about pressuring the ball so I’ll ask you.
When watching high level teams be it men or women, I find the teams that allow little time to make a play on the ball and forces the opposition to make a decision quickly are by far the most successful in the long run.
In the second half last night I saw little pressure by us when PSU reversed the ball and all kinds of time for them to make a positive play
Not Dad but agree 100% we did not pressure the ball enough we were just not good last night and will add to Dad’s recap later

Dad, no one answered my question about pressuring the ball so I’ll ask you.
When watching high level teams be it men or women, I find the teams that allow little time to make a play on the ball and forces the opposition to make a decision quickly are by far the most successful in the long run.
In the second half last night I saw little pressure by us when PSU reversed the ball and all kinds of time for them to make a positive play
Zap, agree with you on successful teams pressuring the ball. In the 2nd half not only were we not pressuring the ball but we were not moving it well either. Just didn't play well especially in the 2nd half. Could have had a couple of goals at least if we just converted our chances in the 1st half. And PS played very well, especially on D.

6 of Indiana’s 7 games have ended in 0-0 draws. The one team they scored against is currently #342 in the RPI out of 358. It’s mind-boggling.
Its mind boggling for Indiana but low scoring and tie scores happen too often in soccer.

Motivated PSU team at home … tough environment to win at.
I saw our forwards retreating into zone D down 2-0.
Put simple, if you’re going to get beat, lose attacking the ball.
IMO, their D should feel like their only play is sending the ball back to the goalie or out of bounds.

I thought Penn State outplayed us for pretty much the whole 2nd half. I have been critical of Banks but neither goal was her fault. It looked like her job was to mark Schlagel which she was doing on the first goal when the initial shot was taken. Thought Broscius was caught watching there, which caused the goal. Thought Meg should have had a better clear on the shot also. The second goal was just that we were pressing up trying to get something going and a counter got through. We did look tired in the second half but from the look of the flags blowing we were going into the wind. Sloppy game but would rather it now than later in the season.

ADVERTISEMENT