ADVERTISEMENT

No. 5 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Hosts No. 3 Maryland Sunday @ Noon On ESPNU

Andddddf another turnover. Terrible quarter. Now down 4. I’m done

The only thing keeping this from a blowout is that UMD is turning it over uncharacteristically.

Need to start the 4th with a couple of quick ones.

You can’t win top 5 games playing this way. Lacrosse, like basketball, is a game of runs. Turnovers, especially senseless ones, kill your own momentum. We have really gone on a run all game.

I’d like to see us attack earlier. To do that we need to clear the ball and not turn it over, but settling the ball down plays into their hands.

Yeah even as a novice I was wondering that. Seems to be negating our athleticism.

11-9 now. Let's keep the momentum going. Need these faceoffs.

Is the line in? If so he was definitely in the goal crease. Guys just got screwed royally.

They played tough. The 17 minute drought is gonna cost us. Maryland did a good job slowing us down. The weather obviously helped them. Let’s see how we finish this one down 3

#2 just got throttled. TO and game over. Gonna need to bounce back after this one. The Terps are leaving their mark.

Oh man that sucks. Kirst makes a great save but passes in the middle of the field to our d mid in traffic. Easy goal.
You hate learning lessons during losses. But that’s what this is hopefully.

Maryland is not Michigan. Can’t make plays like this and win. It’s impossible.

Hate when we force the middle. Not our game on offense or defense

Clears and turnovers in the offensive zone was the story. Maryland was above their usual turnovers as well, so the weather was a factor.

Didn't help that Mullins clearly was not 100%.

Reactions: Caliknight
Cali, is Rutgers recruiting for next season in an upward trajectory?

Do they have a chance to catch MD in the near future?
Now with our facility and hopefully the football team being competent enough to bring recruits to games, it’s going to be even better. 22 class on paper anyway is our best one ever so far. 4 4*s to date. Even bigger will be the portal.

Marylands recruiting has been unreal. Hard to say we will be at that level any time soon. Maryland got very lucky. 1 for them was gone. He transferred to another school to play QB in football. He transferred back to Maryland. That’s almost unheard of. He’s just so dynamic. Take him away and this game looks very different.

Reactions: gef21
maryland is a storied program.....winning is ingrained in the program....the same as duke, hopkins, and soreexcuse.....we on the other hand ,have a lot of catching up to do...it's a shame what the players, and coaches have endured through the years.... a lack of commitment from a bunch of suits, who turned their back on athletics, because of snobbery,and wanting to be an ivy league wanna be......finally at last we are moving in th right direction...hiring pat hobbs, regardless of the ash hiring has been a god send ,he has been hitting them out of the park recently ....we see competitiveness where there once was listlessness....the future looks bright.
once we win our first big chmp. in any sport
then that success will breed more success ,and future generations will reap the benefits....unfortunately i will be dust in the wind...great name for a song title.....so, in closing ...on occasion,like the rest of you fine people i get a little critical about game play, and coaching, and may utter some verbal angst in the heat of the moment (another song title) this is what constant losing will do to you.....that will be a distant memory very soon.

Guys, Maryland is the best team in the country...some of you in this board just don't understand the game and it shows....

There is a small 3 team group of elite elite teams this year...Maryland is in that group with UNC and Duke...that's it...

There is a next grouping of teams...maybe 5-6 teams that are in a bunch...WE "Rutgers" are in that next group with teams like UVA, ND, Syracuse, Army, and maybe Denver...we are in that grouping this year...that's high end...

This RU team is very very good...but when you make mistakes in the clearing game and you are not clean on offense for 17-18 minutes of a game vs a team like Maryland....you lose...period.

It was a better showing than two weeks ago...the RU defense was actually much better today...

Here is the bottom line for this team and this season...

1.) Beat Ohio State...that's a more important game than MD...we need to win next week and we will be in good shape
2.) Beat the teams we should beat this year...which is everyone not named Maryland
3.) Secure the 2 seed in the Big Ten Tournament ..which absolutely secures an NCAA bid in my mind
4.) Try and get to the Big Ten Tounery final...and then you get another swing at Maryland

That's it...Beat OSU next week...that is THE most important game we have on the schedule...

Win as a team and lose as a team...if we tighten up a few items...this game is down to the wire...hell, when a game is three goals with 3-4-5 minutes left...you're in a dawg fight...

Kids battled today

Maryland is damn elite...and guess what...they have a great offensive team...their defense is even better...

Beat Ohio State!

I sure hope we finally make the NCAA again. It seems like it has been forever since we last made it.

Clears and turnovers in the offensive zone was the story. Maryland was above their usual turnovers as well, so the weather was a factor.

Didn't help that Mullins clearly was not 100%.
I would add faceoffs. Once again we struggled there and lacked enough possession to mount a serious comeback.

Penn St. 11 Hopkins 8. For some reason Hopkins didn't overplay O'Keefe, who had 4-1. Epstein 1 goal on 11 shots for Hopkins. Midfield defense for both teams was level below RU-MD.

ADVERTISEMENT