ADVERTISEMENT

No. 5 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Hosts No. 3 Maryland Sunday @ Noon On ESPNU

I would add faceoffs. Once again we struggled there and lacked enough possession to mount a serious comeback.
Didn’t help that Dugenio had to battle the ref in addition to the Terp fogo. There were at least 3 questionable procedure calls, one of which was a complete phantom call and another that clearly was on the Terp player. Once he was into penalty area it is tough to win.

For the most part, I like the new fo rules, but I absolutely hate how the officials have inserted themselves into the game by calling so many procedures. They need to do something about that. Need set the ball and go so the players are not sitting there in the set position for 15 seconds before the ref decides blow the whistle. They are just setting up for inevitable procedure calls. It’s not supposed to be a test of who has the most patience, they just need to make sure both guys are set then go, just like on in bound plays. No need to drag it out.

Didn’t help that Dugenio had to battle the ref in addition to the Terp fogo. There were at least 3 questionable procedure calls, one of which was a complete phantom call and another that clearly was on the Terp player. Once he was into penalty area it is tough to win.

For the most part, I like the new fo rules, but I absolutely hate how the officials have inserted themselves into the game by calling so many procedures. They need to do something about that. Need set the ball and go so the players are not sitting there in the set position for 15 seconds before the ref decides blow the whistle. They are just setting up for inevitable procedure calls. It’s not supposed to be a test of who has the most patience, they just need to make sure both guys are set then go, just like on in bound plays. No need to drag it out.

FYI - There have been memos in prior years sent to the refs from the NCAA telling them to vary the time between the FOGOs are set and the whistle to avoid being "timed". Doesn't mean they should blow the whistle on the wrong guy.

The f’d Dugenio all day. Total bullshit.

We get treated like the road team at home.

We are close. Some things to clean up obviously but we aren’t far away.

Reactions: biazza38
The f’d Dugenio all day. Total bullshit.

We get treated like the road team at home.

We are close. Some things to clean up obviously but we aren’t far away.

I get what you’re saying BUT it’s time for that “over the hump” game for this program. Can’t keep saying “close” in another 2-3 years. MUST beat these guys once to get the monkey off our backs and take that next step.

Reactions: RUtom
I get what you’re saying BUT it’s time for that “over the hump” game for this program. Can’t keep saying “close” in another 2-3 years. MUST beat these guys once to get the monkey off our backs and take that next step.
I know you hate hearing this. It’s a long process. The first part of that process was getting the program supported properly. Maryland has been doing that forever.

Maryland is the top of the heap. It is what it is. It’s not sexy or fun to admit. But if you want to beat the best, this is how it goes.

We are getting closer.

We are a top 8 lacrosse program, probably top 5. That is a pretty big hump we got over. Being in the top 3 is another big jump.

FYI - There have been memos in prior years sent to the refs from the NCAA telling them to vary the time between the FOGOs are set and the whistle to avoid being "timed". Doesn't mean they should blow the whistle on the wrong guy.
Makes more sense to do that with one knee moto because without that technique you can have one fogo who can completely dominate the entire game and even more so if they can jump the whistle. The new rules are designed to reduce that and timing the whistle is less of an issue. When faceoffs had similar rules in the past, both players would get down and set, then the ref would place the ball and immediate whistle. You really have to be out in front of the ref to get a procedure call. When over half of the results of faceoffs are procedure calls, something is broken. The object is to let the players play. Shouldn’t be hard to fix.

Reactions: Caliknight
Maryland is likely the #1 team in the country, top 3 at worst. We have played them tighter than anyone else x2. Even the first game on the road was a nail biter until midway through the 4th. We are one of the most talented teams in the country. Unfortunately the Terps are epically loaded, even by their standards. They are blowing everyone else off the field without breaking a sweat. They brought their A game both times they played us and was easily the best two games they have played and it took every bit of that every to come away with the W.

There was a time when even our good team clearly had a huge talent gap compared to the top programs. That is not the case today. The difference between us and Maryland is one or two players and at this level that is the difference between winning. Injuries are a part of the game but clearly Mullins was not himself. Him not at 100% really changes the dynamics on offense. Here is one of the best all around attackmen when healthy but he really was not able to have much of an impact.

Point is we are right there. We should definitely make the tourney this year and I think we have a great chance of making some serious noise. Should we end up missing the tourney I reserve the right to chance my opinion.

Maryland is likely the #1 team in the country, top 3 at worst. We have played them tighter than anyone else x2. Even the first game on the road was a nail biter until midway through the 4th. We are one of the most talented teams in the country. Unfortunately the Terps are epically loaded, even by their standards. They are blowing everyone else off the field without breaking a sweat. They brought their A game both times they played us and was easily the best two games they have played and it took every bit of that every to come away with the W.

There was a time when even our good team clearly had a huge talent gap compared to the top programs. That is not the case today. The difference between us and Maryland is one or two players and at this level that is the difference between winning. Injuries are a part of the game but clearly Mullins was not himself. Him not at 100% really changes the dynamics on offense. Here is one of the best all around attackmen when healthy but he really was not able to have much of an impact.

Point is we are right there. We should definitely make the tourney this year and I think we have a great chance of making some serious noise. Should we end up missing the tourney I reserve the right to chance my opinion.
I said it in an earlier post. Maryland got very fortunate. Bernhardt was gone. He transferred to another school for football only to transfer back to Maryland at the last second. Such a win for them. He was the most dynamic player on the field. And in the country IMO. Take him off that team and we win both games. Total game changer.

That said. We held them to 13 goals. Our D is getting much better.

Reactions: rbled
Guys, Maryland is the best team in the country...some of you in this board just don't understand the game and it shows....

There is a small 3 team group of elite elite teams this year...Maryland is in that group with UNC and Duke...that's it...

There is a next grouping of teams...maybe 5-6 teams that are in a bunch...WE "Rutgers" are in that next group with teams like UVA, ND, Syracuse, Army, and maybe Denver...we are in that grouping this year...that's high end...

This RU team is very very good...but when you make mistakes in the clearing game and you are not clean on offense for 17-18 minutes of a game vs a team like Maryland....you lose...period.

It was a better showing than two weeks ago...the RU defense was actually much better today...

Here is the bottom line for this team and this season...

1.) Beat Ohio State...that's a more important game than MD...we need to win next week and we will be in good shape
2.) Beat the teams we should beat this year...which is everyone not named Maryland
3.) Secure the 2 seed in the Big Ten Tournament ..which absolutely secures an NCAA bid in my mind
4.) Try and get to the Big Ten Tounery final...and then you get another swing at Maryland

That's it...Beat OSU next week...that is THE most important game we have on the schedule...

Win as a team and lose as a team...if we tighten up a few items...this game is down to the wire...hell, when a game is three goals with 3-4-5 minutes left...you're in a dawg fight...

Kids battled today

Maryland is damn elite...and guess what...they have a great offensive team...their defense is even better...

Beat Ohio State!
Congrats on your son’s goal today!

Guys, Maryland is the best team in the country...some of you in this board just don't understand the game and it shows....

There is a small 3 team group of elite elite teams this year...Maryland is in that group with UNC and Duke...that's it...

There is a next grouping of teams...maybe 5-6 teams that are in a bunch...WE "Rutgers" are in that next group with teams like UVA, ND, Syracuse, Army, and maybe Denver...we are in that grouping this year...that's high end...

This RU team is very very good...but when you make mistakes in the clearing game and you are not clean on offense for 17-18 minutes of a game vs a team like Maryland....you lose...period.

It was a better showing than two weeks ago...the RU defense was actually much better today...

1.) Beat Ohio State...that's a more important game than MD...we need to win next week and we will be in good shape
2.) Beat the teams we should beat this year...which is everyone not named Maryland
3.) Secure the 2 seed in the Big Ten Tournament ..which absolutely secures an NCAA bid in my mind
4.) Try and get to the Big Ten Tounery final...and then you get another swing at Maryland

That's it...Beat OSU next week...that is THE most important game we have on the schedule...

Win as a team and lose as a team...if we tighten up a few items...this game is down to the wire...hell, when a game is three goals with 3-4-5 minutes left...you're in a dawg fight...

Kids battled today

Maryland is damn elite...and guess what...they have a great offensive team...their defense is even better...

Beat Ohio State!
Great post. And congrats to 44. That’s not the last big goal we will see from him. He’s having a helluva year.

Reactions: Golfer2019
We already beat Hopkins, penn st, Ohio state, and Michigan this season and you're still complaining? Maryland is freaking good this year so I don't feel bad losing to them. We're actually remarkably close in competitiveness.

We already beat Hopkins, penn st, Ohio state, and Michigan this season and you're still complaining? Maryland is freaking good this year so I don't feel bad losing to them. We're actually remarkably close in competitiveness.

Not complaining. Just want to see us get the Maryland 500-lb gorilla off our backs. Love the step we’ve taken this year.

My comment about Rutgers lacrosse is "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it." In my opinion, both of the MD/Rutgers games were largely even. In each of them, Rutgers went through a bad ten minutes (or so) stretch, and that was the difference.

Like somebody else said, Maryland hasn't really struggled with any other team, but has now eeked out wins against Rutgers twice.

In case you were wondering (you probably were not), there was never a time in today's game where I, a Terrapin fan, thought "this game is in the bag."

Makes more sense to do that with one knee moto because without that technique you can have one fogo who can completely dominate the entire game and even more so if they can jump the whistle. The new rules are designed to reduce that and timing the whistle is less of an issue. When faceoffs had similar rules in the past, both players would get down and set, then the ref would place the ball and immediate whistle. You really have to be out in front of the ref to get a procedure call. When over half of the results of faceoffs are procedure calls, something is broken. The object is to let the players play. Shouldn’t be hard to fix.

Depends on how far back you want to go. When the ball was placed on the lower walls between the two sticks as opposed to on the ground there was a variation in when the whistle blew, because the ref had to place the ball as opposed to just checking from a few feet away with the ball on the ground. A rough rule was the older and more out of shape the ref was the longer it would take, because the refs wanted to be sure they were out of the way.

Depends on how far back you want to go. When the ball was placed on the lower walls between the two sticks as opposed to on the ground there was a variation in when the whistle blew, because the ref had to place the ball as opposed to just checking from a few feet away with the ball on the ground. A rough rule was the older and more out of shape the ref was the longer it would take, because the refs wanted to be sure they were out of the way.

That made me LOL. We had similar rough rules in wrestling about older, out of shape refs...

Updated B1G Standings...

Maryland 6-0
Rutgers 4-2
Ohio State 3-3
Hopkins 2-4
Penn State 2-4
Michigan 1-5

Special note...we (Rutgers) have played MD twice...everyone else below us still has to play Maryland...

Next game vs Ohio State is home Saturday on national TV (BTN)

It's the biggest game of the year. OSU has a lot of talent on offense...but their defense is not close to Maryland level... We smoked OSU in Columbus...this will be a tough game...but OSU is no Maryland.

Our guys will be ready to compete...next game up.

Goals are still in play for this team...big goals...They have everything still in front of them if they mow their own grass...

Beat Ohio State!

Kids battled today

Beat Ohio State!
This is a great post. I missed most of the game as I had an event for my son to go to but, I did see a couple of things and the one that comes to mind is that we can not make mistakes against this team. We missed two slides on Bernhardt and he scored on both of them.
loved it when Kirst took Grill from the top for a goal but did not see that again. Faceoff were an issue all day the the refs were being hounded by the coaches. UMD has a very good face off coach who knows our kid very well. ( they went to the same HS and had the same HS face off coach.)
This Maryland team is as complete a team as any in the country. They are very strong at every level and may have the best defensive unit in the country. Rutgers is a top team and should not drop very far in the rankings but they have to stay focused these next few weeks with the PSU game on the road being very dangerous.

This is a great post. I missed most of the game as I had an event for my son to go to but, I did see a couple of things and the one that comes to mind is that we can not make mistakes against this team. We missed two slides on Bernhardt and he scored on both of them.
loved it when Kirst took Grill from the top for a goal but did not see that again. Faceoff were an issue all day the the refs were being hounded by the coaches. UMD has a very good face off coach who knows our kid very well. ( they went to the same HS and had the same HS face off coach.)
This Maryland team is as complete a team as any in the country. They are very strong at every level and may have the best defensive unit in the country. Rutgers is a top team and should not drop very far in the rankings but they have to stay focused these next few weeks with the PSU game on the road being very dangerous.

Well said. If reality holds it should not cost them much in the rankings but what I semi-expect is:

UNC
Duke
Maryland
Virginia
Syracuse (with one 1st place vote?)
Notre Dame
Denver or Rutgers

ADVERTISEMENT