ADVERTISEMENT

No. 6/7 Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Hosts No. 13/14 Princeton in 100th All-Time Meeting - Saturday 1pm

For those that don’t now, this game had extra meaning. Which is saying something.

As they announced, Uly Molina, the beloved equipment manager, sadly has throat cancer. The team was pumped to play for him today.

Go attack it Uly!

After today, this should be the rankings:

1.) UVA
2.) ND
3.) Duke
4.) Maryland
5.) RU
6.) PSU
7.) Hopkins

With OSU just outside the Top 10.

1.) Notre Dame (ouch that hurts)
2.) UVA
3.)Duke
4.) PSU
5.) Maryland
6.) Cornell
7.) RU

• Love
Reactions: Caliknight
Six hours later and I am still feeling this victory. A lot of players stepped up but in a game where every possession mattered Mullin and Newman were clutch.
This game just means more than the others. No way to sugarcoat it.

If we won one game all year, this is the one. Boys are celebrating appropriately I can guarantee you.

How did the hat giveaway work out? I wish I coulda made it to the game (truck went into the shop) and I tried to google that hat to purchase without success. Hope they do it again.

Montclair, Maplewood, Fair Lawn Hunterdon Central, & some from the Island.
Most of them were from long island (and most of them were Delta Upsilon Brothers). Many of the Jersey guys who picked up a stick at Rutgers were football players that defensive coordinator Coach Bob Naso recruited to play lacrosse as he did double duty as the lax HC. Sticks were wood in those days. Many of those guys still attend every home game. Great loyalty to the program.

Most of them were from long island (and most of them were Delta Upsilon Brothers). Many of the Jersey guys who picked up a stick at Rutgers were football players that defensive coordinator Coach Bob Naso recruited to play lacrosse as he did double duty as the lax HC. Sticks were wood in those days. Many of those guys still attend every home game. Great loyalty to the program.

Now you're talking the 60s. That was before my time. Plastic was introduced in the '70 season and were almost universal by '73. I know of at least Hunterdon grad who was an AA for Rutgers in the mid 70s. And while I'm sure there was a significant LI presence, there likely was a strong NJ presence as well. NJ lax was underated until that historic win in the HS opener to the '70 North-South game, but things changed rapidly after that.

Being a lax alum is much different than other sports I’ve learned.

You're not kidding. I can only point to our friends program. There is a widow of a player from the class of'48, obviously in her 90s, who still donates 10k per year to the program.

You're not kidding. I can only point to our friends program. There is a widow of a player from the class of'48, obviously in her 90s, who still donates 10k per year to the program.
It's a real expectation. Once you are in the program, you are expected to give back. That's made very clear.

Now you're talking the 60s. That was before my time. Plastic was introduced in the '70 season and were almost universal by '73. I know of at least Hunterdon grad who was an AA for Rutgers in the mid 70s. And while I'm sure there was a significant LI presence, there likely was a strong NJ presence as well. NJ lax was underated until that historic win in the HS opener to the '70 North-South game, but things changed rapidly after that.
Early 70’s. Jersey guys recruited for lax, other than Coach Naso’s football conversion “recruits”, were just starting to trickle in from the few HS programs in NJ. A good number of alumni from that era went on to help grow the sport at both the youth and high school levels in New Jersey. BTW- Some of those football players turned out to be excellent lacrosse players as well. Times were certainly different then for college athletes with a very few actually playing 3 sports and participating in intra fraternity competitions. Couldn’t do that today.

Who was the HC grad? Central has a great lax tradition. Many people don’t realize that as great as Tom Bill was in football he was that and more in lacrosse. He became a phenomenal coach at Central in both sports.

Early 70’s. Jersey guys recruited for lax, other than Coach Naso’s football conversion “recruits”, were just starting to trickle in from the few HS programs in NJ. A good number of alumni from that era went on to help grow the sport at both the youth and high school levels in New Jersey. BTW- Some of those football players turned out to be excellent lacrosse players as well. Times were certainly different then for college athletes with a very few actually playing 3 sports and participating in intra fraternity competitions. Couldn’t do that today.

Who was the HC grad? Central has a great lax tradition. Many people don’t realize that as great as Tom Bill was in football he was that and more in lacrosse. He became a phenomenal coach at Central in both sports.

Rich Prakopyck. His coach was Steve Jacobson who was an absolute legend. He coached Fair Lawn, Central, Ridgewood and Ramapo to state titles. He was also HC of Farleigh Dickerson for a spell. A great coach who would drive the school administrators nuts and eventually move on.

I remember Bob Carney was a WR on the football team and was a faceoff/middie. I think it was in the 72 and 73 seasons. Jim Teatom was a Safety on the football team and lettered in Lacrosse in 74-77. Both were HM AAs. I think there were several others who doubled in that period,

Last edited:

Lord, how could I have forgotten this. He was 5 years older than me but I ran on the same club midfield line with him for 2 years after he retired from the Montreal Alouettes. Bruce Van Ness was a Jersey kid.

Rich Prakopyck. His coach was Steve Jacobson who was an absolute legend. He coached Fair Lawn, Central, Ridgewood and Ramapo to state titles. He was also HC of Farleigh Dickerson for a spell. A great coach who would drive the school administrators nuts and eventually move on.
Lord, how could I have forgotten this. He was 5 years older than me but I ran on the same club midfield line with him for 2 years after he retired from the Montreal Alouettes. Bruce Van Ness was a Jersey kid.
Roy Malinak from Caldwell is another example of a Jersey guy who fit that description. sadly Bruce passed away a number of years ago. Good guys in good times. Enjoy the memories.

Roy Malinak from Caldwell is another example of a Jersey guy who fit that description. sadly Bruce passed away a number of years ago. Good guys in good times. Enjoy the memories.

Circa 2007-8, complications from Parkinsons.

ADVERTISEMENT