ADVERTISEMENT

No. 6 Rutgers Women's Soccer at New Mexico

Tough matchup. UNM is an NCAA tournament team, last year won the Mountain West and is predicted to be back to back champions. Their home opener in their hosted tournament, not going to be a push-over game. Time to show up as #6 in the country

Tough matchup. UNM is an NCAA tournament team, last year won the Mountain West and is predicted to be back to back champions. Their home opener in their hosted tournament, not going to be a push-over game. Time to show up as #6 in the country
UNM got pummeled by BYU 6-0 in the opening round last year.

Yeah and a win 2000 miles away immediately builds this season's resume the right way.

I hope the women have been in NM for a few days to adjust to the elevation difference. If the team is deep enough, the coach can do a lot of subbing to have fresh bodies on the field.

I hope the women have been in NM for a few days to adjust to the elevation difference. If the team is deep enough, the coach can do a lot of subbing to have fresh bodies on the field.
They've been out there since Sunday or Monday I believe. Jet lag won't be a factor.

Watching a current B1G team play a future B1G team on BTN right now...Purdue vs USC. Packed house for Purdue who are up 1-0 at halftime.

Mountain West network surprisingly has better production value than 75% of Big Ten schools on BTN+ (not including RU which has one of the best)

Reactions: Degaz-RU
1-0 RU 16 mins left half 1. Feels like 70% in our own end, yet a good counter attack gets us the 1-0 advantage. Ali Lowery on a break down the middle.

Reactions: Tango Two
Lobos getting a lot of 50-50 balls. Same weak links. Daigle wants to dribble as soon as she gets the ball instead of seeing the open mate & the pass. Banks still wants to get up too tight on the attacker & often goes down with the contact.
We are missing Emma Misal out with a hammie & Emily Mason who is not back yet.
McClelland with a top notch save.

Reactions: rutgers lar
Yes UNM is playing high-press, we’re playing off them. Every time we get the ball feels like we’re heavily guarded into a bad pass/turnover. Luckily their attack isn’t that great otherwise could be a different story. Also, credit our D for making lots of stops/blocks just outside the box, and Meg some great work between the posts already

Lobos getting a lot of 50-50 balls. Same weak links. Daigle wants to dribble as soon as she gets the ball instead of seeing the open mate & the pass. Banks still wants to get up too tight on the attacker & often goes down with the contact.
We are missing Emma Misal out with a hammie & Emily Mason who is not back yet.
McClelland with a top notch save.

Of course winning is most important but I’d wish they’d get back to being the scarlet knights more and not the black knights.

RU wins 1-0! PHEW … welcome back to nerve wracking Rutgers sports again… typical first game, but our D looked seasoned. We also had lots of chances that went wide or good saves, could have been 3-0 or better. But a great win!! Felt like an NCAA tournament game, already in game 1. Team will be better from playing this one, glad we got the W on top. Shoutout to the MWN announcers who were very professional and complimentary of RU, even thanked us for taking this game and trip at all. Go RU

Reactions: Zak57 and RUHouston
1-0. That is all that matters. The Ref letting them play American football instead of soccer did not help the game.

I am glad no one got hurt. You could see the frustration by both teams. He was usually in the way or so far out of the play. The handball call from 40 yards away was brutal.

I thought the telecast was okay. Replays were out of focus.

RU wins 1-0! PHEW … welcome back to nerve wracking Rutgers sports again… typical first game, but our D looked seasoned. We also had lots of chances that went wide or good saves, could have been 3-0 or better. But a great win!! Felt like an NCAA tournament game, already in game 1. Team will be better from playing this one, glad we got the W on top. Shoutout to the MWN announcers who were very professional and complimentary of RU, even thanked us for taking this game and trip at all. Go RU
Certainly yes on the announcers. Banks played well in the second half. Very physical game. Hope Lowery is ok. Daigle with a boot type contraption on her leg.
Lobos took Tiernan out of the game. 2 & 3 defenders on her & she was trying to dribble by them with no success. McClelland looked in control. Lobos gave us all we wanted. Need to pick it up going forward.

Why was this game across the country scheduled?
New Mexico will be a high RPI team because of how well they'll do in their conference. So a win like this, against a top 60 or so RPI team away from home will be beneficial for Rutgers' RPI.

That game was brutal in terms of the physicality of it. It's just not a way that Rutgers likes to play and it takes the team completely out of their element, which may have been the intention. Thankfully Meg was in control the whole time and frankly made me feel better about weathering New Mexico's attacks. I think another thing to take note of is the altitude at UNM, which a quick Google search showed as 5100 feet, over 5000 feet more than Piscataway. Even with a few days to get used to it, I'm sure it was rough running up and down that field. So I'll definitely take a sloppy win here.

New Mexico will be a high RPI team because of how well they'll do in their conference. So a win like this, against a top 60 or so RPI team away from home will be beneficial for Rutgers' RPI.

That game was brutal in terms of the physicality of it. It's just not a way that Rutgers likes to play and it takes the team completely out of their element, which may have been the intention. Thankfully Meg was in control the whole time and frankly made me feel better about weathering New Mexico's attacks. I think another thing to take note of is the altitude at UNM, which a quick Google search showed as 5100 feet, over 5000 feet more than Piscataway. Even with a few days to get used to it, I'm sure it was rough running up and down that field. So I'll definitely take a sloppy win here.
Good points Jules. Ref really allowed it to get too physical. We got a break when he didn't call Romano for a foul in the box when she clearly ran up the girls back & took her down.

Reactions: Jules99b
This is a really good first W to open the season. Lots of reasons they could have lose this one but they played tough and came out with the W and will be better because of it. Meg coming back from the last year is going to be all kinds of great. They could have scored one or two more as well but you take this and run.

This is a really good first W to open the season. Lots of reasons they could have lose this one but they played tough and came out with the W and will be better because of it. Meg coming back from the last year is going to be all kinds of great. They could have scored one or two more as well but you take this and run.
Brocius had the best chance & she missed wide, & she knew it.

Definitely a great win on the road to open a season in an unusual situation (elevation) against a conference favorite and NCAA team. We had a few other chances and couldn’t covert but it was a physical game and hopefully a nice building block to kickstart the season.

I’ll take a 1-0 win on the road, 3000 miles away,, to start the season every time! Give me another 1-0 win to wrap things up!

Reactions: bigmatt718
54% possession for RU .. I’m always fascinated by this stat, figure with the keep-away the final 14 mins it bumped us up, but in the first 75 mins felt like 70% NM possession .. always ends up so close to even
It was actually 52-48 in favor of UNM in the first half (according to the commentators at the start of the 2nd half).

ADVERTISEMENT