ADVERTISEMENT

No. 7 Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Hosts Johns Hopkins Saturday on Senior Day

After Lehigh's thunderous victory over an 0-6 Lafayette I'm surprised he didn't put them in the Top 5. And he must feel terrible not giving Syracuse a #1 vote.

Reactions: Local Shill
I have brought this doomsday scenario up a couple of times. If we are going to have one non UMD loss better it happens against Michigan than in the tournament. We already know Maryland is getting a bid regardless but it remains to be seen if we would get a third Big Ten Bid. You would like to think so, but selection day has not been kind to us in the past. Hopefully we just keep rolling but not sure a win next week clinches a bid.
Not arguing here but the assumption would have to be that the team we lose to in the BTT would then beat MD...because if we go 8-2...lose in the semi to say either OSU or PSU...and they then lose to MD in the BTT title game...they will not get selected over us...we would get the second big ten bid...we would own the season record over both OSU and PSU (2-1 vs both...if we lost in the semi's)...AND we would have a better record overall...our records are not even close actually...

The only way we lose the 2nd bid is if Maryland loses to any team not named RU in the BTT...could it happen...maybe, but percentages are very low...

A 5-7 PSU or OSU team that gets beat by Maryland in a BTT final will not get in over an RU team sitting at 8-3 with us owning head to head over both (PSU/OSU) with convincing wins...

Now, I agree, keep wining, and get to the BTT champ game...we are a lock...but why stop there...let's beat Maryland and win the Big Ten AQ 😉

Reactions: dconifer
Somehow Lehigh moved up in the media poll and we stayed at 8. Bizarre.
Our buddy Quint had us slotted at #10, which I think is the same as last week or possibly dropped us, but he kept Denver (after a loss to G'town), Lehigh and Army in front of us. He also put Duke back to #1 in front of Maryland.

Our buddy Quint had us slotted at #10, which I think is the same as last week or possibly dropped us, but he kept Denver (after a loss to G'town), Lehigh and Army in front of us. He also put Duke back to #1 in front of Maryland.

Hasn't he publicly stated that he doesn't want Maryland seeded #1 because that, theoretically, would mean the 2 top ACC schools would play in the semifinals in the tournament? I could grumble about Denver and Georgetown ahead of RU but at least he has a leg to stand on. But Lehigh after a relatively close game vs. Lafayette? Please. And his comment on faceoffs if/when RU faces Top 10 teams in the tournament is appropriate.

Reactions: Caliknight
Now, I agree, keep wining, and get to the BTT champ game...we are a lock...but why stop there...let's beat Maryland and win the Big Ten AQ 😉

In my opinion that is not even a crazy scenario. Rutgers gave my Terps all they could handle in both games, save a few odd (and decisive) minutes...

In my opinion that is not even a crazy scenario. Rutgers gave my Terps all they could handle in both games, save a few odd (and decisive) minutes...

I've been saying it all year. Maryland is the best team in the country. And getting better. Yesterday was the most complete performance I have seen from them and I have watched every game.

Can Rutgers beat Maryland? Yes. It would take our best effort of the year and we would need to capitalize on opportunities while playing a very mistake free game. Like every team that plays Maryland.

The good news is we are getting a little better each outing. The bad news is Maryland is too. The only knock on Maryland to date is depth of scoring. The not known guys are making big plays now. I am also impressed with the D evolution that I have seen from Maryland. It was always stout, but it's starting to get to elite status. There are no easy goals against Maryland and their staff does a great job of taking away what you do well. Good news for us is our 6 on 6 offense is starting to match our run and gun. Not quite at the level but we are getting looks now we weren't early in the season in settled situations. Moving Kirst up top to his natural position is helping a ton in this area. He's stretch shooting is unique and he has great eyes. Can our mids draw double teams against Maryland's great D mids allowing our attack more room to operate? That's going to be a huge piece of it, especially with AC starting to play at that Tewaaraton level we saw last game. He looked more mobile, fluid, and creative than I have ever seen him look. While Maryland has 3 great poles, OSU had no answers for him. He was unguardable, much like Bernhardt last night. That kid is a huge problem for any defense.

Not arguing here but the assumption would have to be that the team we lose to in the BTT would then beat MD...because if we go 8-2...lose in the semi to say either OSU or PSU...and they then lose to MD in the BTT title game...they will not get selected over us...we would get the second big ten bid...we would own the season record over both OSU and PSU (2-1 vs both...if we lost in the semi's)...AND we would have a better record overall...our records are not even close actually...

The only way we lose the 2nd bid is if Maryland loses to any team not named RU in the BTT...could it happen...maybe, but percentages are very low...

A 5-7 PSU or OSU team that gets beat by Maryland in a BTT final will not get in over an RU team sitting at 8-3 with us owning head to head over both (PSU/OSU) with convincing wins...

Yes, the scenario is that someone other than MD or RU wins the Big Ten Tourney and thus takes the auto bid. Even we win in the semis but MD is upset in the semis then I think to guarantee the bid we need to win the tournament. MD is going to the NCAA whether they win the Big Ten tournament or not. Could we still get in as a third Big Ten if we lose in the finals? You would hope so, but there seems to be a lot of concern on this board about an ACC bias that might be hard to overcome.

While we benefit this year from the Ivies not playing and taking tournament slots, the lack of any non-conference action allows people to view the lower half of the league in a negative light just based solely on their conference records. We have had no opportunity to demonstrate the relative strength of the conference against others.

The B1G not allowing non conference games absolutely killed any chance of the league getting in more than 2 teams.

The acc can be positioned as, "look, we won all but 1 OOC games. Our leagues is just that good. Of course we are beating each other up. We are the best 5 teams".

The problem with that is they never played anyone OOC outside of Army who smoked Syracuse. On their own field.

Reactions: dconifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT