ADVERTISEMENT

No. 9 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Heads to No. 6 Ohio State Saturday Game Thread

Saw the first half. OSU jumped out quick against Hopkin's last Saturday with an early face off advantage. Hopkins settled down and kept it respectable thereafter. And Tre Leclaire was Tre Leclaire.

Is lacrosse (either ours or not) ever televised? I would like to learn more about this sport, which seems to me to combine a lot of the best things about basketball (screens, for instance) and hockey (face-offs).

Reactions: RUMountie
Is lacrosse (either ours or not) ever televised? I would like to learn more about this sport, which seems to me to combine a lot of the best things about basketball (screens, for instance) and hockey (face-offs).

These first few games are on BTN plus. There is a a game today on BTN (Penn St. v Maryland).

We will have some on BTN too.

You are right. Conceptually, lacrosse is very similar to basketball. Spacing, movement, all the same. Obviously lacrosse has contact and more guys on the field so that is where the football or hockey come into play.

Hockey guys are typically really good offensive players, especially around the crease. The understand absorbing contact and playing through. Hoops guys are usually, but not always, midfielders. They get offense to defense and the concepts more easily.

Really though, lots of sports translate, like soccer.

Reactions: retired711
Hoping the women's team is setting the trend for the men tomorrow. Women's team up 12-8 halfway through the 2nd half vs #19 OSU and looking dramatically better under their 2nd year coach. A win for the men's team gives us a big feather in our caps and 2-0 in B1G play when a 6-4 record likely gets you into the NCAA Tourney.

If you go to the Inside Lacrosse website and go to the Scores Section you will see a lot of links on Saturday afternoons and sometimes Sundays through which you can watch games. There will be games on the Big 10 channel and ACC channel. Eventually there will be a few games on ESPNU and ESPN2. And if there is a tournament this year they pretty much get televised on the ESPN networks.

And lacrosse and hockey are the only sports I know where play can take place behind the net/goal.

Edited to add:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/di/scores

Penn St. - Maryland is on 5:30 tonight and there will be a bunch of games tomorrow. Some games will be free and some you need to have stations like the Big 10 Network as part of your cable subscription.

Last edited:
Hoping the women's team is setting the trend for the men tomorrow. Women's team up 12-8 halfway through the 2nd half vs #19 OSU and looking dramatically better under their 2nd year coach. A win for the men's team gives us a big feather in our caps and 2-0 in B1G play when a 6-4 record likely gets you into the NCAA Tourney.

While nobody's perfect, Hobbs has made a lot of good decisions with respect to coaches.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
Arceri is 7-0 in faceoffs so far in PSU - MD game. 3-2. Maryland early in the 2nd.

I did watch a portion of the game. I liked it, but I had the same problem as with hockey where I am always losing track of the puck at vital moments. That ball travels fast!! It will be better when the sport becomes more popular, and telecasts have more cameras to show detail. But I will watch again! I particularly liked the face-off feature -- how is it determined which players will participate. BTW, I also liked that players put moves on each other as in basketball and particularly football. And Penn State lost!! Thanks to all for your advice!!

I did watch a portion of the game. I liked it, but I had the same problem as with hockey where I am always losing track of the puck at vital moments. That ball travels fast!! It will be better when the sport becomes more popular, and telecasts have more cameras to show detail. But I will watch again! I particularly liked the face-off feature -- how is it determined which players will participate. BTW, I also liked that players put moves on each other as in basketball and particularly football. And Penn State lost!! Thanks to all for your advice!!
Cam- glad you liked it. Yes, that’s always been an issue. Seeing the ball. The pro league uses a colored ball which seems to help. NBC does the production so it’s more viewer friendly.

As to who faceoffs, that’s a very specialized position. Kids doing that in college have been doing that, and probably very little else on the lacrosse field, for a number of years. It’s basically like being a kicker on a football team, only they are viewed much more highly. They are tough guys.

Facing off has become more and more specialized over the years, and the rules have changed as well. And not just the major changes in effect for this year. Over all the iterations one thing has never changed, the need for a lightning quick first move at the whistle. Beyond that, leg strength and toughness are important. As Cali said, comparisons to other sports are tough. As opposed to a kicker in football, I'd make a comparison to a gunner on punts and kickoffs.

Amusingly the best comparison may be to my grandfather, who was a 6"1" college basketball center in the '10s. That's the 1910's. And in those day there was a jump ball after every basket.

Reactions: retired711
I equate face offs to two wrestlers having a 5 to 10 second match to determine possession, sometimes your tag teammates helps out. It is pretty unique across the sporting landscape.

ADVERTISEMENT