ADVERTISEMENT

No. 9 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Heads to No. 6 Ohio State Saturday Game Thread

I believe you’re still in the Cherry Hill area, yes?

Seeing (and “hearing”) a game live is great and beneficial to learning the sport. If you can’t get up to Rutgers for a game, maybe check out a good HS program like Shawnee?

@gef21 and @rufamily, can you think of any schools in the area @camdenlawprof might want to check out when the weather gets better?
Moorestown is very good as well Lenape and Cherokee are pretty good. I know that Moorestown has been seen as the best team down there, so good in fact that to stay competitive they played lacrosse in the Skyland conference for boys. If you want to go a little farther away Hun, Lawrenceville and St. Augustine's are all really good privates

Technically speaking, Curry was playing midfield. They were just inverting him.

Yeah, but he was invented about 80% of the time. Might be related to Scanlon getting 1 goal on 9 shots while going 1-1 for the game.

The Kirst kid is a horse & he can move too.
Kirst, as he started his run toward goal from 20 yards out with the ball, shouldered a not small OSU defender to the ground at one point. It’s an element RU has lacked up front heretofore to be honest.

Hockey players/fans understand how three individuals who excel in different areas can make for an unstoppable line at times. Mullins, Charalambides, Kirst (the MCK line) may be developing into something special.
Mullins: Slam dunk set-ups and one-touch passes are kinda his thing
Charalambides: within 12 yards...elite release/finisher.
Kirst: matchup nightmare for one D-man to handle, but double team at your peril.

Last edited:
It was a good trip to Columbus....really nice to watch live lacrosse...in stadium...

I don't think TV did it justice just how badly RU outmanned OSU today. Up and down the field, in all phases, RU overmatched the Buckeyes....this team really has a nice mix...we have some true studs/stars that are finding rhythm...and they are making everyone around them better...

We're buttoned up as a unit (so far) defensively, and we've got athletes in numbers that come at you in waves...we really put a lot of pressure on OSU offensively and in transition

Nice to be 2-0...

Still a long season, but today was a really buttoned up performance from top to bottom...

Cheers
Yeah I think there was only 1 camera and they had no instant replay it’s ridiculous that I and others pay our money for Rutgers Big Ten Plus and they can only put 1 camera in the stadium they have better live streaming from D2 games!!

Love the new face off guy. He had 2 goals (to open the 3rd and 4th quarters) using what is seemingly WR speed.
The only downside I can see is that much like 3point shooting in basketball, it is tough to shoot a very high percentage like they did from 10+ yards (sometimes 15 yards) every game out. That said, Kirst, Knoblach, Strock and Charalambides can really bring it from out there

Last edited:
Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
How highly rated was Knoblach? He looks like a very mature and lethal attacker already. Almost reminds me a little of Charalambides as a frosh.

How highly rated was Knoblach? He looks like a very mature and lethal attacker already. Almost reminds me a little of Charalambides as a frosh.
High School All-American. Comes from athletic family (from his Rutgers bio) (father played football at U of Del., cousin Grant Wiley was AA linebacker at WVU and made the roster of the Minnesota Vikings and mother was All-American college lacrosse player at Coll of NJ).

High School All-American. Comes from athletic family (from his Rutgers bio) (father played football at U of Del., cousin Grant Wiley was AA linebacker at WVU and made the roster of the Minnesota Vikings and mother was All-American college lacrosse player at Coll of NJ).
The kid is off to a really nice start...very impressive...he's clicking and I love it

But I will say this team is loaded with High School All Americans...I'd guess everyone in our playing group is a high school All American...

This right now (and yes we have a long way to go) is what happens when you plug a couple pieces...yes, great pieces, but make no mistake...aside from Dugenio, Kirst, Kirst, and Knobloch...the rest of this playing group is the same...same guys...think about that

You add a force multiplier in Kirst on offense...add just as important of a piece in Dugenio at the X...build better chemistry, and look at what you got...

This team is old, it's deep, and they are athletic, and physical...and aside from 2-3 pieces...they were all here last year and the year before...they got old...and they are buying into roles...that is massive...

I was walking out of the shoe talking with an OSU dad...he was like "man you guys come at it from both sides of the field in waves and your fast and physical and skilled...

Long way to go...but with fingers crossed and good health...buckle up...

Love the new face off guy. He had 2 goals (to open the 3rd and 4th quarters) using what is seemingly WR speed.
The only downside I can see is that much like 3point shooting in basketball, it is tough to shoot a very high percentage like they did from 10+ yards (sometimes 15 yards) every game out. That said, Kirst, Knoblach, Strock and Charalambides can really bring it from out there

Thanks for linking. One thing I'll add that that the wings are providing better support for Dugenio on FO's than in in years past.

The kid is off to a really nice start...very impressive...he's clicking and I love it

But I will say this team is loaded with High School All Americans...I'd guess everyone in our playing group is a high school All American...

This right now (and yes we have a long way to go) is what happens when you plug a couple pieces...yes, great pieces, but make no mistake...aside from Dugenio, Kirst, Kirst, and Knobloch...the rest of this playing group is the same...same guys...think about that

You add a force multiplier in Kirst on offense...add just as important of a piece in Dugenio at the X...build better chemistry, and look at what you got...

This team is old, it's deep, and they are athletic, and physical...and aside from 2-3 pieces...they were all here last year and the year before...they got old...and they are buying into roles...that is massive...

I was walking out of the shoe talking with an OSU dad...he was like "man you guys come at it from both sides of the field in waves and your fast and physical and skilled...

Long way to go...but with fingers crossed and good health...buckle up...
The buying into roles is so key. On truly great teams, every role is important and the kids playing those roles understand that and excel because of it. It’s what makes teams great.

Yeah I think there was only 1 camera and they had no instant replay it’s ridiculous that I and others pay our money for Rutgers Big Ten Plus and they can only put 1 camera in the stadium they have better live streaming from D2 games!!

Really pathetic coverage from Ohio State. They don't have enough money in their Athletic Department to buy two good cameras and spend a little money on TV production from their end?

Reactions: rondi
The buying into roles is so key. On truly great teams, every role is important and the kids playing those roles understand that and excel because of it. It’s what makes teams great.
So true. Additionally, the kids recognize how much talent there is on the team so simply having the ability to contribute on the field is an honor. If you whine for a second that you are not in the role you want there is an equally talented kid right behind you that will jump at the opportunity to take your place.

So true. Additionally, the kids recognize how much talent there is on the team so simply having the ability to contribute on the field is an honor. If you whine for a second that you are not in the role you want there is an equally talented kid right behind you that will jump at the opportunity to take your place.
Agreed...but easier said than done for kids...all these kids are alpha dogs, monster competitors and believe they are capable...but, the great teams figure out how to make it work...

This conference is loaded with elite lacrosse players...such a tough conference

Fun to watch

Reactions: rufamily
Agreed...but easier said than done for kids...all these kids are alpha dogs, monster competitors and believe they are capable...but, the great teams figure out how to make it work...

This conference is loaded with elite lacrosse players...such a tough conference

Fun to watch

Definitely easier said than done. The great teams are able to figure it out. That's how they become great. Great talent working together for the common goal. The good thing about our style is lots of kids get touches. We had 8 different goal scorers yesterday with 50% of those being assisted. 60 shots and 22 goals. That's a team effort at every level. While holding them to 12 I might add.

I look at Uva yesterday as the opposite example. Incredibly talented, but not willing to or able to work together. At least yesterday. And they paid the price.

An interesting watch is Duke. On paper, I am not sure there has ever been a more talented team. Can they make it work and will guys accept roles they didn't have before like our guys?

His father K.C. Knoblach played on some great Westfield Football teams .I think dad played with Butch Woolfolk who went on to play at Michigan and with the Giants.

A couple of observations:

1- Goalie play- there was a shot that epitomizes the improvement in goal and it was in the first quarter I believe . Tre LeClair had a wide open 10 yard step down, I mean full hands free step down and he unloaded a rocket low and Kirst made the save. That is not a save we are making in the past.

2- Wing play on the faceoff's, at the half the announcer (who was pretty good) said that the face offs were 10-10 and we were winning most of our face-offs with the wings. 3 goals out of the face off group including 2 by the FOGO (one righty and one lefty) but the wing play has been so much better it has allowed our faceoff guy to throw the ball to the wings with confidence. But, there was one play in the second quarter where Frankowiak was on the wing and he was behind the ball, he ran past every player and picked up the ball neatly and started the break. was a subtle play but is encapuslates the effort we are getting from our wings this year.

3- Connor Kirst-- he just changes so much of the game, literally the match-ups have to change which gives us such an advantage and he can still beat his match up which forces slides. you have seen the result of the opposing teams putting a pole on Gallagher as it may slow him down but Sprock and Knobloch have been feasting on the short sticks. By the end of the game it looked like OSU had started to pole Knobloch, think about that, OSU had to pole the freshman who is on a line with two upper-classmen who have loads of experience and goals.

4-- Rope unit-- I know most of you know this but that group stirs the drink it allows us to play so fast and make up for mistakes. 3 of the 4 short sticks started out as offensive middies and would still be offensive middies on more than half of the D1 teams in the country. this group is also mature with 4 seniors and 2 juniors in the top six.

A couple of observations:

1- Goalie play- there was a shot that epitomizes the improvement in goal and it was in the first quarter I believe . Tre LeClair had a wide open 10 yard step down, I mean full hands free step down and he unloaded a rocket low and Kirst made the save. That is not a save we are making in the past.

2- Wing play on the faceoff's, at the half the announcer (who was pretty good) said that the face offs were 10-10 and we were winning most of our face-offs with the wings. 3 goals out of the face off group including 2 by the FOGO (one righty and one lefty) but the wing play has been so much better it has allowed our faceoff guy to throw the ball to the wings with confidence. But, there was one play in the second quarter where Frankowiak was on the wing and he was behind the ball, he ran past every player and picked up the ball neatly and started the break. was a subtle play but is encapuslates the effort we are getting from our wings this year.

3- Connor Kirst-- he just changes so much of the game, literally the match-ups have to change which gives us such an advantage and he can still beat his match up which forces slides. you have seen the result of the opposing teams putting a pole on Gallagher as it may slow him down but Sprock and Knobloch have been feasting on the short sticks. By the end of the game it looked like OSU had started to pole Knobloch, think about that, OSU had to pole the freshman who is on a line with two upper-classmen who have loads of experience and goals.

4-- Rope unit-- I know most of you know this but that group stirs the drink it allows us to play so fast and make up for mistakes. 3 of the 4 short sticks started out as offensive middies and would still be offensive middies on more than half of the D1 teams in the country. this group is also mature with 4 seniors and 2 juniors in the top six.
Another big play to add to your #3: Connor Kirst was 1v1 with OSU DMan Eric Wenz who is 6-5 210. Going across top side right, Kirst absolutely trucked him...put Wenz on his A$$.

As Bice said during the game, when Connor has the ball, you send someone else. Long pole, short stick whatever. Problem is he finds guys like he did against Penn St. Leaving any of our 5 against their 4 is a terrible option too. The decision really is, how do we want to get scored on?

I’m most impressed by our ball movement. We are just so crisp. Quick passes to sticks and seamless movement. Sat was elite.

As Bice said during the game, when Connor has the ball, you send someone else. Long pole, short stick whatever. Problem is he finds guys like he did against Penn St. Leaving any of our 5 against their 4 is a terrible option too. The decision really is, how do we want to get scored on?

I’m most impressed by our ball movement. We are just so crisp. Quick passes to sticks and seamless movement. Sat was elite.
I was most impressed by the pace we sustained, we just went after OSU in waves. Even when we gave up goals it was like ok, we'll get the next one. There was no fear but more importantly, there was ultimate confidence in each other and our ability to pick each other up. We pushed even when we were down a guy, and that comes from the rope unit. they are so skilled that they can stay on for offense and they do We chart a stat called contested ground balls and if you can win that battle you will win the game 9/10 times. Go back and watch how many contested ground balls we won and how many were won by the rope unit.

I know Michigan is next but that game with Maryland is going to be fun.

I was most impressed by the pace we sustained, we just went after OSU in waves. Even when we gave up goals it was like ok, we'll get the next one. There was no fear but more importantly, there was ultimate confidence in each other and our ability to pick each other up. We pushed even when we were down a guy, and that comes from the rope unit. they are so skilled that they can stay on for offense and they do We chart a stat called contested ground balls and if you can win that battle you will win the game 9/10 times. Go back and watch how many contested ground balls we won and how many were won by the rope unit.

I know Michigan is next but that game with Maryland is going to be fun.
I'll only post because your talking about it @rufamily as I should refrain from this topic being it's hard for me to be objective...but it's clear on the rope you have for sure two guys...and maybe 3 that are offensive players at heart, feel like they are high D1 level offensive guys...but understand that they can be more effective for this team playing a different role...as I posted earlier...all these guys are alpha dogs...it's hard for them to admit others guys are better suited for the pure offensive positions...hence stepping into unsung roles...for the benefit of the team...but that's what your seeing here...and after two games, it's looking pretty effective...

There is no doubt that Kamish, Coyne, Daniger foam at the mouth when they get out in space in transition...you can see it in their posture and in their aggressive approach...they're not looking to simply dump and exit...there is a hockey term used to describe defenseman that really excel at offense..."Offensive Defenseman" (Paul Coffey)...that is what you have with the three mentioned...maybe to a lesser extent Daniger and Franko...but make no mistake, they are all very comfortable with the ball in their sticks in traffic and all have confidence to go to the hoop or let it fly...

What I really like is I know that they are all working VERY hard to improve their on-ball defense...taking pride in winning 1 v 1 battles with toughness and footwork...they're not gonna be perfect...it's the nature of the game to get picked on...and our schedule is tough...but these guys will continue to get better...26/2/6/44 have the potential to be a really really good unit...I'll give a little credit here to BB for moving a couple chess pieces here...it might pay off in spades

Let's beat Michigan...as an MSU guy, you know how I feel about Michigan..

I'll only post because your talking about it @rufamily as I should refrain from this topic being it's hard for me to be objective...but it's clear on the rope you have for sure two guys...and maybe 3 that are offensive players at heart, feel like they are high D1 level offensive guys...but understand that they can be more effective for this team playing a different role...as I posted earlier...all these guys are alpha dogs...it's hard for them to admit others guys are better suited for the pure offensive positions...hence stepping into unsung roles...for the benefit of the team...but that's what your seeing here...and after two games, it's looking pretty effective...

There is no doubt that Kamish, Coyne, Daniger foam at the mouth when they get out in space in transition...you can see it in their posture and in their aggressive approach...they're not looking to simply dump and exit...there is a hockey term used to describe defenseman that really excel at offense..."Offensive Defenseman" (Paul Coffey)...that is what you have with the three mentioned...maybe to a lesser extent Daniger and Franko...but make no mistake, they are all very comfortable with the ball in their sticks in traffic and all have confidence to go to the hoop or let it fly...

What I really like is I know that they are all working VERY hard to improve their on-ball defense...taking pride in winning 1 v 1 battles with toughness and footwork...they're not gonna be perfect...it's the nature of the game to get picked on...and our schedule is tough...but these guys will continue to get better...26/2/6/44 have the potential to be a really really good unit...I'll give a little credit here to BB for moving a couple chess pieces here...it might pay off in spades

If the next time you make the comparison to Bobby Orr I'll know they're REALLY something 😉 When I was living in Boston in the mid-late 70's I be walking down a street and a number of times someone would shout "Yo Bobbyyyyy" from across the street. He was an inch taller and 10-12 lbs. heavier but the photo in the link looks like me photoshopped on to him skating.

If the next time you make the comparison to Bobby Orr I'll know they're REALLY something 😉 When I was living in Boston in the mid-late 70's I be walking down a street and a number of times someone would shout "Yo Bobbyyyyy" from across the street. He was an inch taller and 10-12 lbs. heavier but the photo in the link looks like me photoshopped on to him skating.

Too funny

Just to be clear, I wasn't comparing our kids to hall of fame professional athletes...I was just using the example to state that our SSDM group is more offensive minded..I think you got where I was going there

Nice pic! 😁

Dennis Potvin!!

Reactions: Golfer2019
I think the new faceoffs rules are a huge advantage for us this year because they encourage more contested gb situations. Ideally you have your d mids on the wing because they are usually scrappers and excellent gb guys, plus it’s is good to have them on to prevent a mismatch on defense if you don’t come up with the faceoff.

Typically the downside is that unless it is a clear fastbreak situation you usually settle it up and bring on your offensive middies. With our guys there is no need for that and we can go straight into attack mode when we come up with the ball on faceoffs because they as all very capable with the ball in their stick (including Dugenio). Unsettled situations like that are a great opportunity to score a lot of quick points and I think we will see that happen quite a bit. It’s really tough to defend and will put a lot of teams on their heels and force them to do things they don’t want to do in order to adjust.

Love this post. The only thing I would argue is the rope guys are unsung. On our team, those kids are stars. They do so much between the lines and on offense, much more than what a traditional team's rope guys do.

If you want to run and gun, you need the studs to do it. Those kids are all studs. That unit has already had a huge impact on the season, and the better they continue to play is the better our team is going to play. Give me a team full of do it all midfielders and I a happy guy.

We basically have three + midfields, 5 of the guys who happen to be defensive first, though they clearly have the greenlight and ability to make waves on the offensive side. They are going to score some huge goals during this season.

To follow up on Family's point, I loved seeing the how aggressive we are, even on a man down. This is clearly a team that has a ton of trust in each other and from the staff. Very few teams would take a rips down a man. Us? Pace was pushed and we got a great look. Take it. The way it should be.

I think the new faceoffs rules are a huge advantage for us this year because they encourage more contested gb situations. Ideally you have your d mids on the wing because they are usually scrappers and excellent gb guys, plus it’s is good to have them on to prevent a mismatch on defense if you don’t come up with the faceoff.

Typically the downside is that unless it is a clear fastbreak situation you usually settle it up and bring on your offensive middies. With our guys there is no need for that and we can go straight into attack mode when we come up with the ball on faceoffs because they as all very capable with the ball in their stick (including Dugenio). Unsettled situations like that are a great opportunity to score a lot of quick points and I think we will see that happen quite a bit. It’s really tough to defend and will put a lot of teams on their heels and force them to do things they don’t want to do in order to adjust.

PLUS, it's never a bad thing to get the ball to Kirst in an unsettled situation.

PLUS, it's never a bad thing to get the ball to Kirst in an unsettled situation.

I have not seen anyone who can handle him one on one in the open field or even close to an open field.

I am very curious to see how Makar from Maryland does. I am guessing that kid is going to get abused like he never has been.

i absolutely agree with you about those kids being Alpha Dogs and the sacrifice they are making. On a side note how is your younger son. I have watched his team play but I have not seen him. Is everything ok?

i absolutely agree with you about those kids being Alpha Dogs and the sacrifice they are making. On a side note how is your younger son. I have watched his team play but I have not seen him. Is everything ok?
Played in the game 1 OT win vs Richmond and scored a goal...two days later broke his foot in practice....has missed the last two games...boot comes off the foot today, and then it's working his way back into form...so yes, you haven't seen him in the box score because he's been out...my guess is it will be a couple more weeks before he shows up in a game...if all goes well..thanks for asking...it's been a tough start for him this year...tested positive for covid (no symptoms), missed two weeks of practice, started the Richmond game on basically havin two practices...then the injury...he probably won't be right all year...just a bad luck year for him...I'm just trying to keep his mind positive

Georgetown up 11-2 over Mt St. Mary's at the half. I want to see them play a ranked opponent to get a gauge on how good they really are. But so far it's been impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT