ADVERTISEMENT

No Leadership on this Team

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
None.Geo isn't a leader and neither is anyone else. Nebraska won 2 conference games all season. We were playing for everything. That team was playing for nothing. Yet they were the team with focus, effort, and energy.

If you have leadership on a team, you don't come out and lay an egg like this. Simply doesn't happen.

None.Geo isn't a leader and neither is anyone else. Nebraska won 2 conference games all season. We were playing for everything. That team was playing for nothing. Yet they were the team with focus, effort, and energy.
If you have leadership on a team, you don't come out and lay an egg like this. Simply doesn't happen.
Yup, Geo acts like this loss is no big deal. No urgency

There have been a ton of signs:

1. EO leaves the program
2. Pike declines interest from transfers to not upset current players (keeps ship open)
3. Team has multiple players only meetings - the first being much earlier than needed at the time based purely on the hoops IMO

Geo was a leader last year. What happened between then and now? I have my theories on that.....

Love Pike but his problem is that he wants to be liked too much and is too loyal. Look at Hoiberg. He throws leading scorer off team and could care less and team responds. Pike is too loyal to his kids and to his assistants. And too nice to the refs.

1. EO leaves the program
2. Pike declines interest from transfers to not upset current players (keeps ship open)
3. Team has multiple players only meetings - the first being much earlier than needed at the time based purely on the hoops IMO

Don’t forget MacClung not “fitting in” with the team after he verballed. Have to wonder now if that was a problem with MacClung or the “team”

Sorry but a good team does not come out like Rutgers did tonite and crap the bed. Just a poor effort lacking some guts by them all. Predicting a loss against Minnesota would not be out of the question.

Reactions: SBP
Some interesting takes/points here. Not adding a transfer was a huge mistake. Wonder if anyone will eventually shed light. But team does look very uninspired and not close at all.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs

1. EO leaves the program
Regarding 2 and ive stated this before, I know for a FACT jahvon quinerly and luther muhammads first calls were to Rutgers and pike basically gave them the heisman. The reason? The exact reason you laid out

Reactions: IL Lusciato
3 players we had in our palms that we basically told to **** off
1) mac mcclung
2) jahvon quinerly
3) luther muhammad

How do ya'll know about all these "team only meetings?" First I'm hearing of it. Seems like that's some very close hand knowledge. Pike not wanted? If so, certainly sounds like Pike has lost control. Makes sense listening to his pressers.

How do ya'll know about all these "team only meetings?" First I'm hearing of it. Seems like that's some very close hand knowledge. Pike not wanted? If so, certainly sounds like Pike has lost control. Makes sense listening to his pressers.
After a recent loss, forget which, pike announced there was a players only meeting

It’s not hard to see why the chemistry is off.

Team gets off to hot start with big wins while JY and Mathis are playing the best of their careers. Then they lose to Iowa and start losing a few, and this is key just swallow the pill, because McConnell came back and to boot Geo not playing great.

JY was still ballin out during the losses and Mathis playing in line with McConnell/Geo/Paul. Yet, Young and Mathis start to lose minutes after they were responsible for out biggest wins of the season and Geo (worked his way back to his old self two months later) and McConnell get more minutes as a reward for holding us back in their first few games back.

PIke has no control. That much is obvious. He said so in the press conference. To paraphrase, "Nebraska defends the 3 very well. We took the most 3s of the year. That wasn't the game plan".

If the game plan was to get it inside and not take 3's, and the team does nothing but shoot 3's, the team has no respect for Pike or the game plan that was put in. No good team would do such a thing.

But, this is Rutgers basketball. The lowest IQ team going. Of course they decide to not run the game plan and take a bunch of 3's. That's exactly what Nebraska can defend.

Basketball mental midgets.

After a recent loss, forget which, pike announced there was a players only meeting
Doesn't sound goo
I’ve never seen Myles this un-engaged in a game.
Worse O and D performance in 3 years
He was a total no-show against a team with no inside presence. I expected he'd have a big game, and instead he was MIA with 2 total points. And foul trouble was a non-issue!

PIke has no control. That much is obvious. He said so in the press conference. To paraphrase, "Nebraska defends the 3 very well. We took the most 3s of the year. That wasn't the game plan".

If the game plan was to get it inside and not take 3's, and the team does nothing but shoot 3's, the team has no respect for Pike or the game plan that was put in. No good team would do such a thing.

But, this is Rutgers basketball. The lowest IQ team going. Of course they decide to not run the game plan and take a bunch of 3's. That's exactly what Nebraska can defend.

Basketball mental midgets.
Hit the nail on the head. Pike should be fuming. Instead, he seemed just fine with tonight's result.

Reactions: biazza38
Doesn't sound goo

He was a total no-show against a team with no inside presence. I expected he'd have a big game, and instead he was MIA with 2 total points. And foul trouble was a non-issue!

That's because the team wasn't running the game plan. The plan was to not take 3's and get it inside. Per Pike.

All we did was come out shooting 3's and continued shooting 3's. Of course Myles was no where to be found. He can't be a point guard and pass to himself. He needs his teammates more than any other player on the floor.

Don’t forget MacClung not “fitting in” with the team after he verballed. Have to wonder now if that was a problem with MacClung or the “team”

Mathis also mentioned what it was like taking his official visit on the same weekend as Harper and McClung.

"The other commits and I talk a lot, and we just got closer this weekend. We were with each other for a while, so we just grew with each other a lot. Also, we’ve been texting a lot more since the visit. Some of my goals for college are just to win and get a lot better as a player. I think with the core group of guys we have coming in with and the group of guys they will have when I get there, I think we can accomplish that.”

Seems safe to say Harper and Montez weren’t the issue with MacClung getting spooked..

I know NOTHING about what goes on off the court
1-I just know MYLES went 1-2 >had 2pts(my grandma could do better)
Baker 4 pts 1reb
McConnel 1 pt
MulCahey 0 rebs
4players ...6pts....

2-Harper and Young hustled & had 22pts 9rebs between them

Looks to me like 2 groups that DONT get along

Unfortunate that it has gone down this way. To many players on this team want the spotlight. If they played selfless - we would've been as good as anybody in the league. Self destructive group - they turned into

Doesn't sound goo

It's not that they defended the 3 It's we can't shoot they missed wide open 3's and if you know basketball they packed the paint so no inside some of you need to learn the game

3 players we had in our palms that we basically told to **** off
1) mac mcclung
2) jahvon quinerly
3) luther muhammad

hard to argue now that all of them and Eugene didn’t make wise choices by going elsewhere.

Wrong type of leadership. Saw some defensive possessions from people wearing “C” that should never happen.

instead of taking charges the guys wearing “C” put their hands in the air to show the refs there is no foul.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I’m just glad I Saw the lax team Saturday. They put up 22 goals which is like scoring 120 points in basketball. It’s weird seeing an RU team be so offensively talented.

Reactions: RUBOB72
ADVERTISEMENT