ADVERTISEMENT

No More NCAA for College Football?

T2Kplus20

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 2, 2007
Bring it!

The 11 college presidents and chancellors who make up the College Football Playoff's Board of Managers met via Zoom on Monday and began a discussion that could reshape the future of college sports, sources told ESPN.

Multiple sources told ESPN that the Board of Managers briefly discussed the possibility of restructuring how college football is governed, with the idea presented of major college football potentially being governed outside of the NCAA. The most logical place for the sport to be run outside of the NCAA would be under the auspices of the CFP, which was discussed on the call. The CFP currently oversees the sport's postseason playoff and has contractual ties to other marquee postseason bowl games.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Hey @kyk1827 you dope! More proof you don't know anything.
Maybe you should read the posted article. First line. Facts!
"The 11 college presidents and chancellors who make up the College Football Playoff's Board of Managers"

• Haha
Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
There isn't amateur sports anymore. Olympics was the first domino and it was a big one. Now college. Coming up the USGA Amateur Championship will be 2 players who have played in LIV Tournaments with future wink, wink $$

NCAA is vestigial as far as football goes
It still makes over a billion on college basketball (which is dead to me after the one and done nonsense) so I don't see them breaking camp and going home on BB

College football is going to be a semi-pro league very soon.
You mean pro. But they need to be careful what they wish for. Association with universities is what brings in a lot of interest. Weaken that too much and it becomes minor league football, which will probably do little better than minor league baseball in most parts of the country.

They don't even want what little oversight the NCAA is allowed to provide anymore. Coming soon: amphetamine injections in the locker rooms.
the ncaa did it to themselves so no fks given there.

In reality, this is the inevitability of the trend. ESPN should be blowing the Big right now as they are most definitely in the back seat and getting dropped off at the next stop.

more is coming

Reactions: T2Kplus20
NCAA is vestigial as far as football goes
It still makes over a billion on college basketball (which is dead to me after the one and done nonsense) so I don't see them breaking camp and going home on BB

What one and done nonsense???

School affiliated football will collapse if this goes through. They will lose the casual viewer and anyone who isn't part of a top 20 school. No one want to watch minor league football. Thats a TON of revenue that will just find something else to do on Saturday.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Oh jeeze really? Your anger shouldn't be at the NCAA but both the NFL and NBA who use college as their free minor league.

Surprisingly the NFL is a better than the NBA
NFL doesn't allow a player to get drafted until he's either 21 or a college junior
NBA will draft a kid in high school
When I saw the NBA players getting owned by high school players like Lebron my whole view of the league changed.
No high school QB can come in and run all over a pro NFL defense

Surprisingly the NFL is a better than the NBA
NFL doesn't allow a player to get drafted until he's either 21 or a college junior
NBA will draft a kid in high school
When I saw the NBA players getting owned by high school players like Lebron my whole view of the league changed.
No high school QB can come in and run all over a pro NFL defense
Neither are good. They let colleges pay for development unlike hockey and baseball. No minor league systems

I know where moey comes from. They need rules for a salary cap. Period. Fullstop. If they are goinh pro with the players, they need rules.
Who is going to make the rules?? Colleges can not. So who?

The new governing board we hope they create.
They would have zero power. The courts said it's in control of each state. No state put a limit on it. As far as I know every P5 state approved NIL with zero limitations

Reactions: RUScrew85
They would have zero power. The courts said it's in control of each state. No state put a limit on it. As far as I know every P5 state approved NIL with zero limitations
Ahhhh yes…equal chances among all schools!
Laughter Laughing GIF

As more money floods college sports they're going to have to learn what other sports leagues learned: everyone who participates in generating the cash is going to demand a piece of it. There was a time when pro baseball players were paid squat. When Ruth was making $100k Gehrig was making $10k and their teammates were making a few thousand each. Ruth was a big draw but it took 9 players to run the game. In a similar fashion, some QBs are popular but it takes 11 players to fill out a side--and Ohio State, Alabama and Texas need Rutgers, Kentucky, Kansas, Boston College, Arizona State et al--and Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Elon--and other leagues, to make a league and a season. It just won't work very long as a lopsided, tilted field, every man for himself, self-regulated mess.

As more money floods college sports they're going to have to learn what other sports leagues learned: everyone who participates in generating the cash is going to demand a piece of it. There was a time when pro baseball players were paid squat. When Ruth was making $100k Gehrig was making $10k and their teammates were making a few thousand each. Ruth was a big draw but it took 9 players to run the game. In a similar fashion, some QBs are popular but it takes 11 players to fill out a side--and Ohio State, Alabama and Texas need Rutgers, Kentucky, Kansas, Boston College, Arizona State et al--and Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Elon--and other leagues, to make a league and a season. It just won't work very long as a lopsided, tilted field, every man for himself, self-regulated mess.
Though keep in mind that the other move may be for the cream to peel off and form a higher league. Similar to the top European Soccer Clubs in England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy almost peeling off before the fans of the Premier League revolted or the current LIV Golf Fiasco. I expect college football will, unfortunately, go the way of the cream of the crop programs peeling off because ESPN, Fox, or someone else dangles more money for them to do that than remain with the others.

Though keep in mind that the other move may be for the cream to peel off and form a higher league. Similar to the top European Soccer Clubs in England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy almost peeling off before the fans of the Premier League revolted or the current LIV Golf Fiasco. I expect college football will, unfortunately, go the way of the cream of the crop programs peeling off because ESPN, Fox, or someone else dangles more money for them to do that than remain with the others.
I agree but the money there will have to be shared. Tight ends and kickers will want a piece of the action. And then it will become minor league football--which might doom it. People will tune in in Alabama and Ohio. In states or regions of states left out in the cold they will not. I feel like the glue that holds college football together is the university angle but also the fact that everyone is a part of it because universities all over the country are included. Most of them have no chance at a national championship but they can dream and maybe the local team can make it to a big bowl game. When it becomes a two-tiered system of 45 teams at the top and everyone else--left to fight over the crumbs and guatanteed to never win anything of consequence--everyone else's fans will tune out. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Last edited:
Is the idea of going to the playoff/winning a “national championship” so important to your enjoyment as a Rutgers fan? To me, if it’s joining this stupid idea versus going back to playing Army, Syracuse, Lehigh etc. in a more pure form of college football, tailgating and the bands and players who come from a region and care about the school like you did when you went there, give me that instead of a minor league where one of the teams has “Rutgers” on the jersey only and some dream of competing in these war games with Alabama and Auburn

Seems to me like a bunch of maneuvering to gain control over something that seems uncontrollable. Gonna be an interesting next 5 years in college sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT