ADVERTISEMENT

No More NCAA for College Football?

I agree but the money there will have to be shared. Tight ends and kickers will want a piece of the action. And then it will become minor league football--which might doom it. People will tune in in Alabama and Ohio. In states or regions of states left out in the cold they will not. I feel like the glue that holds college football together is the university angle but also the fact that everyone is a part of it because universities all over the country are included. Most of them have no chance at a national championship but they can dream and maybe the local team can make it to a big bowl game. When it becomes a two-tiered system of 45 teams at the top and everyone else--left to fight over the crumbs and guatanteed to never win anything of consequence--everyone else's fans will tune out. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
You raise good points, but money seems to throw away rational reasoning. Such is the world today. Have to wonder if someone proposes an alternative that could be a relegation type system to provide for a steady stream of second tier beat ups (that do get higher comp) for the top tier teams?

Reactions: brgRC90
You raise good points, but money seems to throw away rational reasoning. Such is the world today. Wonder if an alternative could be a relegation type system to provide for a steady stream of second tier beat ups for the top tier teams?
Money, usually, only seems to throw away rational reasoning. The few folks making the biggest profits are being plenty rational. It's the rest of us, being fed scraps or nothing at all, to whom it seems irrational.

It will take a little while, but eventually all the stake-holders with significant financial interests here will work whatever needs to be worked out in order to ensure the funds flowing. Could get very messy in the interim though.

I mean, if you think about it, there are several potential benefits:

(a) It shows recruits just how far RU will go for the benefit of their players.
(b) It will likely elevate RU's visibility across the nation as it's reported by sports media.
(c) It could be the difference between 2 and 5 wins this season, which is huge from a recruiting standpoint.

If RU can show where other players in similar situations were permitted to play, that would probably be more than enough to sway public sentiment in our favor, although that isn't strictly necessary.

We could always sue the NCAA and try to get a judge to issue an order permitting him to play until the case is heard, sometime in 2024 or so. 🙂

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
5 of the 11 are from non-P5.. and then ther's Notre Dame. Kick the Notre Dame guy off.. that's too much representation for one school. But I assume he represents the Independents. So that's a majority for non-P5. No bueno.

We could always sue the NCAA and try to get a judge to issue an order permitting him to play until the case is heard, sometime in 2024 or so. 🙂
NICE.. like the whole post.. just wanted to highlight that.
sir-patrick-stewart-patrick-stewart.gif

Reactions: mildone
Money, usually, only seems to throw away rational reasoning. The few folks making the biggest profits are being plenty rational. It's the rest of us, being fed scraps or nothing at all, to whom it seems irrational.

It will take a little while, but eventually all the stake-holders with significant financial interests here will work whatever needs to be worked out in order to ensure the funds flowing. Could get very messy in the interim though.
Agreed. It all depends on where your seat at the table is.

Reactions: mildone
There isn't amateur sports anymore. Olympics was the first domino and it was a big one. Now college. Coming up the USGA Amateur Championship will be 2 players who have played in LIV Tournaments with future wink, wink $$
In my opinion the Davis Cup was the first amateur domino to fall.
The 1973 Davis Cup started allowing pros in it and the pro players have ruled those games ever since.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
NCAA is vestigial as far as football goes
It still makes over a billion on college basketball (which is dead to me after the one and done nonsense) so I don't see them breaking camp and going home on BB

The one and done nonsense can be blamed on the NBA Players Association.

It isn't about the schools or equal chances! It is an open market for the players to make money off their Name Image Likeness.
AND??? ....for the players to make money based on their ability to produce in an athletic venue.

AND??? ....for the players to make money based on their ability to produce in an athletic venue.
Jeez. Schools have zero say in the matter. It's between the player and anyone who wants to support/pay them. It is illegal to pay them based on performance or even stay at a college if it's a multiple year deal

Jeez. Schools have zero say in the matter. It's between the player and anyone who wants to support/pay them. It is illegal to pay them based on performance or even stay at a college if it's a multiple year deal
Jeez what? I never mentioned the schools having any say in the matter. But if you want to go that route. You don't think the schools are tied to the high donor boosters who are paying these players based on their ability to produce on the field? Hence, the schools are probably involved, albeit indirectly. If you think the schools (meaning the coaching staff) have zero say in who gets the now legal, brown, paper bag, I don't know what to tell you.
There, now I said it.

Jeez what? I never mentioned the schools having any say in the matter. But if you want to go that route. You don't think the schools are tied to the high donor boosters who are paying these players based on their ability to produce on the field? Hence, the schools are probably involved, albeit indirectly. If you think the schools (meaning the coaching staff) have zero say in who gets the now legal, brown, paper bag, I don't know what to tell you.
There, now I said it.
I do know what to tell you. Clueless

I do know what to tell you. Clueless
Probably you are right. But you were putting words in my mouth..which is not unusual for you. Why don't you enlighten me how high level recruits are paid a million dollars to attend Football U without any of the football staff's input. I guess the bagmen are the expert recruiters and the well paid players are just showing up on the doorstep waiting for the Sabans and the Meyers to welcome them with open arms. Got it.

Yes but everyone plays along
Colleges and coaches could throw shade at the one year rip-offs but they get in line.
Slippery slope and all that.

Forget falling in line.
HC Pike is actively recruiting every possible one and done that he can.

Being fed scraps?
Rutgers just signed the largest media deal in history.
Pretty sure the deal is more per year than every other conference in CFB combined.

Rutgers is 100% sitting at the "big boy table".
Play Lehigh, Syracuse and Army as someone said above?
Have fun doing that without HC Schiano or HC Pike or any highly ranked recruits.
Our new $1m/year media deal (probably too high honestly) isn't going to cover their salaries.

Being fed scraps?
Rutgers just signed the largest media deal in history.
Pretty sure the deal is more per year than every other conference in CFB combined.

Rutgers is 100% sitting at the "big boy table".
Play Lehigh, Syracuse and Army as someone said above?
Have fun doing that without HC Schiano or HC Pike or any highly ranked recruits.
Our new $1m/year media deal (probably too high honestly) isn't going to cover their salaries.
Yeah, you pretty much misunderstood what I wrote. The Big Ten and it‘s member schools are among the stakeholders I was talking about. As are the media companies who broadcast college sports who have an even bigger stake and profit enormously.

Now go back and reread and see if it makes more sense to you.

Reactions: NickRU714
ADVERTISEMENT