ADVERTISEMENT

No players at post game

The team is composed largely of upper class men yet there seems to be a lack of leadership on the court.Young is the only player that has shown some offensive consistency on a team that struggles to score over 60 points.The lack of scoring is directly related to missed layups and 3 point shots.

I think Coach Pike knows his team and he needed to shield them from the spotlight after an emotional and disappointing loss at home. That's a good coach 👏 He owns this one. Take the pressure off the kids and get them to focus 💯on the next game. That's a Pro Move 👏

Soft move for a soft team

Reactions: runner3283
I think Coach Pike knows his team and he needed to shield them from the spotlight after an emotional and disappointing loss at home. That's a good coach 👏 He owns this one. Take the pressure off the kids and get them to focus 💯on the next game. That's a Pro Move 👏
Emotional loss? Where?

Reactions: Mr Magoo

i didnt see emotion out there today

Did someone ask him what the heck "it's on me" means? Or what he's going to do differently for the Indiana game?

Reactions: RU MAN and RUsojo
What are they talking about?
How do you have a players meeting 10 minutes after the game when the issue is captains not playing with enough effort.

exactly how does that go? What do Ron and Geo say?

it’s like watching a hockey game and a team gets blown out with poor effort and in the last 5 minutes they go around cheap shotting people. If you are so tough why not play hard when the game matters.

Played Myles more than 24 minutes.

Not put Mathis in the game at all considering he's been doing the same things all season.

Started Young.

It's not all on Pikiell but he shares the blame.
Here’s the thing......

You can’t blast a coach for doing nothing when players don’t play with effort while simulatenously asking why is he not playing his best players for more minutes.

I do think young needs to start....but he came in 3 minutes in to a tied game.

I will fault Pike for not insisting guards for not getting Myles the ball more.

1st 8 possessions Myles got low post touches 5 of them....we got 9 points in those possessions. Zero in the other 3.

after 2 straight possessions where we got hoops Baker passed up Myles when he had the right angle and Myles had his guy on his back.

Baker was probably the leader going into the season, got hurt, and RHJ took over. Baker is back and RHJ can't do anything and they are probably clashing.

Why could have Pike done differently (playing devils advocate)
I think he tried different things. For instance, when we cut it to six in the second half, he had in four guards and Cliff, with no Ron. So he was trying combinations that might work. But if you can't put the ball through the hoop and you're careless, there's not much else a coach can do.

Why is it either on Coach or the players? Easily on both. Yes the players need to make shots, play D, not sulk etc etc......Coach on the other hand has to play the hot hand, be more aware of the needs on the court at the time. For example Mathis is great on D but with minutes left in the game why he his shooting 3 point bricks? Why did Myles start out strong yet sit on the bench for many minutes ( certainly not foul trouble). For this game it was Pike AND the players

Yeah Pike said it was all on him which is noble but it is not going to solve any of the problems. He also suggested that until today they have been playing really well and that the team had great intensity at Michigan. Someone should have asked if he really believed his offense has been functioning well even when winning some recent games. Suggested they will play with more swagger and said he wants RH to rebound and get to the foul line in response to a question about his shooting woes.

Maybe a players only meeting after the game? Assume Geo would lead something like that. He said things will be different against Indiana. Don't see it unless they figure out how to put the ball in the basket more regularly.

I don’t see it....what do you see?

I see lack of effort. Not guys not getting along. It is tough not being at games where at times I see stuff.
Guys who get along off the court get along on the court. This team isn’t close. They routinely do not pass the ball to open guys and do nothing to help their teammates work for better shots. It’s isolation city with guys who frankly are all offensively challenged. Something is wrong in that locker room.

I watched our lacrosse team play yesterday. Concepts in lacrosse and basketball are very very similar. It was night and day watching the ball movement and player movement.

Sometimes it appears this team is messing with us. They looked like world-beaters early, then went into a deep funk, only to break out of it suddenly against Indiana ( hopefully Indiana is the key). However since then, they slowly have regressed back into their funk.

Something is clearly wrong. I just want to get our bid and see what we can do, and hopefully the problem resolved itself next season.
The bigger issue for next season is that even with Jaden Jones, our recruiting is ranked anywhere from 9th-13th in the league right now. Pike simply can’t have another disastrous recruiting class after last year’s

Guys who get along off the court get along on the court. This team isn’t close. They routinely do not pass the ball to open guys and do nothing to help their teammates work for better shots. It’s isolation city with guys who frankly are all offensively challenged. Something is wrong in that locker room.

I watched our lacrosse team play yesterday. Concepts in lacrosse and basketball are very very similar. It was night and day watching the ball movement and player movement.

Definitely. I wonder what that locker room is like. Will be interesting to hear the true story one day. Right now, it's just a mystifying shame.

They’re kids with talent. Pike recruited them. Yes they have responsibility but Pike has not put them in a position to succeed.

Like when they miss wide open 3s like Ron, or when they miss fast break layups like Caleb, or when pikiell get young in an isolation down 6 and Jacob just gives the ball to the other team? I am sorry but we had countless opportunities today and against Michigan to hit a big shot and we didn’t. You can complain about pikiell but not when we miss wide open 3s and what not.

ADVERTISEMENT