ADVERTISEMENT

No players at post game

Would not be surprised to lose all the rest and be shut out. With every missed shot their confidence sinks further . They look like Nebraska

Pikiell’s biggest mistake today was not staying with the guys that got the game to 6. Geo, Cliff, Mathis, McConnell and young I believe. He subbed in Paul, then Myles and then Ron.... should have went with the guys that got us back in the game. He made a mistake in going back to the starters

Pikiell’s biggest mistake today was not staying with the guys that got the game to 6. Geo, Cliff, Mathis, McConnell and young I believe. He subbed in Paul, then Myles and then Ron.... should have went with the guys that got us back in the game. He made a mistake in going back to the starters

he inexplicably took Young out...it was stunning

Reactions: RUChoppin and goru7
im at a loss...but do we go:

PG: Jacob
SG: Geo
SF: McConnell
PF: Cliff
C: Myles

And just see what happens????

Ron off the bench as 6th man. Followed by Mulcahy?

I’d press. We are not a disciplined, high IQ team that executes well. It’s too late to expect that. I’d say to the top 10 guys, be ready. You’re all playing. Next five? Be ready.

Take the thinking out of it and just go Nolan Richard helter skelter the entire game. It’s gotta be better than this shit.

Reactions: Rutgers36
I dont think this is completely accurate.

Jacob played hard
Montez played hard (but poorly)
Cliff played hard
Paul played hard (but poorly)
Hard and emotion are two separate things... So 4 guys played hard... we needed 6-8 playing hard.

Thing is we have gone away from full court pressed , which even in this game have worked for us. We also have gone away from switching up our defense to go zone at times.
Seems to me that Pike is very set in his ways(like substitutions) and afraid to Mix it up. Only way to help break the funk we are in is to mix things up. He should realize by now that CO/JY/MM on that court at the same time is not working.
JY works best with Geo/RHJ/Myles and anyone else.

The season turned when RHJ was named a POY finalist. He hasn't been the same since that moment. He needs to come off the bench with some fire and take back his role. I don't think it's too late. $$$$

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Why could have Pike done differently (playing devils advocate)
Could have kept Paul on the bench the entire second half especially after we made the run to cut it from 15 to 6 without him and his turnovers. He played Caleb too much as it was obvious he was off . He could have run high lo with Myles and Ron . He could have yelled at his guards to through a bounce pass to Myles on the block not 15 feet from the hoop. Once he sees the good Jacob , he doesn’t come out of the game . Run a proper Pike and roll. Get the guys off the perimeter and being lazy and not moving off the ball or offensive rebounding. His pre planned rotations are terrible and he fails to recognize it.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
This is the second players only meeting ...the first one was after the Michigan state loss on the road

and that’s the only two we know about

We have locker room issues gentlemen...period.
We sure do. Right now this team is a mess. I don't see any fire in any of them. And no that fidgeting with Young is just nervous energy. The team looks dead out there. Pike better buck up and get kick their a$$ or else we can kiss the NCAA's goodbye.

Reactions: runner3283
Yeah Pike said it was all on him which is noble but it is not going to solve any of the problems. He also suggested that until today they have been playing really well and that the team had great intensity at Michigan. Someone should have asked if he really believed his offense has been functioning well even when winning some recent games. Suggested they will play with more swagger and said he wants RH to rebound and get to the foul line in response to a question about his shooting woes.

Maybe a players only meeting after the game? Assume Geo would lead something like that. He said things will be different against Indiana. Don't see it unless they figure out how to put the ball in the basket more regularly.
All I see with Geo of late is, he's a great magician. He's great at disappearing when we need him most.

After watching today’s OSU UM game and seeing how well those two teams can shoot; it became particularly glaring that we are in dire need of offensive skill. We simply can’t keep up with teams that shoot like that and it’s evident in the results. Harper and Baker are letting this team down. Sorry Ron and Geo but you are old enough to have to accept that fact. Whether it’s on the court or in your Monday morning meeting at your next job; it’s about performance.

im at a loss...but do we go:

PG: Jacob
SG: Geo
SF: McConnell
PF: Cliff
C: Myles

And just see what happens????

Ron off the bench as 6th man. Followed by Mulcahy?

Not if the Basketball Nazi Refs are on the floor.
Myles and Cliff will each have 3 fouls before the first commercial break.

MO

Reactions: Randal7
Guys who get along off the court get along on the court. This team isn’t close. They routinely do not pass the ball to open guys and do nothing to help their teammates work for better shots. It’s isolation city with guys who frankly are all offensively challenged. Something is wrong in that locker room.

I watched our lacrosse team play yesterday. Concepts in lacrosse and basketball are very very similar. It was night and day watching the ball movement and player movement.
I recall guys passing like crazy and finding open guys and them missing shots- or over passing and turning it over.

Now, in fast break situations I agree that they have mostly tried one- on-one plays and attempted forced shots and blew it a lot. But I don't think they are being selfish in the half court. They just aren't playing with any passion or sense of urgency and haven't been since losing at MSU.
Best thing tourney-wise would be to get in as a 12 seed and face a 5 seed as a big under dog. This is assuming they eek their way in at all. They may blow it entirely.

Inexplicably? Maybe it was the fact that Jacob sh*t his pants and gave the ball to the other team with opportunity to get it to 4

Didn’t matter. The pressure was working. We were climbing back into things and the guy best equipped to force another turnover was removed from the game. I love what PM brings, but he was at the scorers table waiting to check in before the turnover and I posted in the game string then that I couldn’t believe we were subbing there in the middle of a come back. It was as the previous poster said, inexplicable for JY to come out and really a head scratcher that we were subbing period.

Why could have Pike done differently (playing devils advocate)
First thread I’m reading tonight so apologies in advance if already stated.

I have always defended Pike, but not today. Sans JY, the players played like sh&t but Pike was horrible, as well. Here’s what I was yelling today:

1. We couldn’t score, beginning in the 1st half....who’s the one guy you can count on to score??? Jacob Young! Why was he not in the game for long stretches then taken out for...leads to my #2...
2. Why in the world did Pike have Mulcahy in there when he was stinking it up on O and getting torched on D? What’s with the love fest?? Terrible coaching. Young should have been in there!!!!
3. Why wasn’t Myles underneath most of the game today??? MD has no big man. Pike has Myles at the top of the key!!! Set your pick and get your arse inside!!!
4. Geo - for the 100th time....WHY ARE YOU HESITATING TO SHOOT???? BE SHOT READY ANd SHOOT!!!! What are you waiting for? To get a green light to shoot? Your senior year? Someone that is a better shooter to shoot??? C’mon man, just have fun and shoot the rock.

The sequence in the 2nd half with Mulcahy,, Geo, and Harper letting the shot clock run out - pathetic. Guys- the ball is not a grenade!!! SHOOT!!!

Reactions: RUonBrain
Game was lost when shots didn’t go down.

we all can analyze (myself included) until the cows come home. Making perimeter shots solves everything.
So true.
I wondered early in the season when things were going well and RU was undefeated exactly what would happen when Harper cooled off. Unfortunately we're finding out.

I think the shooting has impacted them, in their heads now, made them tentative on offense, leading to passing around the perimeter like a game of hot potato, hesitant to shoot. as someone else said, we hit 3-4 shots, including 2 3's as I recall, when the whistle was blown. This has compounded things. Maryland didn't do anything masterful, it was driving and kicking, but they didn't hesitate to shoot...we are not a good shooting team to begin with, but this has snowballed. When the other team hits some shots, we press, the D can't keep things manageable.

The missing of bunnies is amazing I must say. if we hit a 1-2 of those, it would have been a lot closer at points, instead of 47-41. Never threatened Maryland--give them credit, they have improved, but, as suspected, they came in feeling good about themselves...

Not if the Basketball Nazi Refs are on the floor.
Myles and Cliff will each have 3 fouls before the first commercial break.

MO
My thoughts exactly. If we had a third big man who was capable of putting in valuable minutes then you can try it. Right now we don’t have that luxury

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
The team is composed largely of upper class men yet there seems to be a lack of leadership on the court.

I was going to start a separate thread on this. Where's our captain? Where's Geo? He's played about as flat as anyone recently and I hate to say it but he's been a disappointment.

On a positive note, Cliff is looking much better...not as lost. It’s actually been pretty cool watching him develop. He’s getting there, exciting to see what is coming in the future.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
thank you..no worries, I think we all get upset during the game thread, we tend to take our frustrations on the teams play out on other another. 👊
Part of what makes this opinion slog so entertaining. Posters don't agree with the respective venom they’re spewing and start attacking each other. It’s a beautiful thing. Should be offered as a psych course at Rutgers.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT