ADVERTISEMENT

No Zags, Mohegan still in the cards

Gonzaga game fell apart last Friday. Rationale was that the teams were not on the same page contractually. Rutgers was getting paid to go to Spokane. Very strange development. There will be a Mohegan game but it does not appear to be Providence.
Wow.
I don't even know what that means.
I loved the idea of getting paid to kick their butts. If I'm AD I take 100k plus to get students to the game and buy tickets in the after market so we have a presence there.

I can dream can't I.

Too bad.

Richard have you heard anything about Pike narrowing the field yet for a 4/5? Heard it was originally a debate whether or not to get a pure 5 or a hybrid 4/5.

Playing 4000 miles away for 1 game made absolutely zero sense. The Zags are not UCLA, Arizona where you would get a chance to get some RU fans into the building and get the credibility of a quality road game.....,the Kennel in Spokane, Washington is a tough travel spot and we need to stay aligned to the Pac 12, ACC B1G group of schools, if we are going to go out of our way to travel for an OOC.

Get a normal home and home or a neutral site game finalized like Mohegan and we have Wake Forest and SHU plus the ACC/B1G lined up, plus Michigan State at MSG. That is more than enough quality OOC or neutral games.

Playing 4000 miles away for 1 game made absolutely zero sense. The Zags are not UCLA, Arizona where you would get a chance to get some RU fans into the building and get the credibility of a quality road game.....,the Kennel in Spokane, Washington is a tough travel spot and we need to stay aligned to the Pac 12, ACC B1G group of schools, if we are going to go out of our way to travel for an OOC.

Get a normal home and home or a neutral site game finalized like Mohegan and we have Wake Forest and SHU plus the ACC/B1G lined up, plus Michigan State at MSG. That is more than enough quality OOC or neutral games.
Spokane is 4,000 miles away? Geography is not your deal. Otherwise, I agree.

I’m just worried it’s going to be Rhode Island (they’ve played at Mohegan Sun before) and then BC on the road in the ACC challenge. I was really hoping to avoid the UMass / DePaul types away from home. Would much rather play 4 games against contenders.

Spokane is 4,000 miles away? Geography is not your deal. Otherwise, I agree.

3000- 4000 , whatever the amount of miles happens to be, is still ridiculously long for 1 game....it's still an enormous amount of flight time and you get nothing out of the game as a program.

If you're going to travel cross country, play UCLA or Arizona and make it an event where it's at least a venue or location worth traveling to.

I’m just worried it’s going to be Rhode Island (they’ve played at Mohegan Sun before) and then BC on the road in the ACC challenge. I was really hoping to avoid the UMass / DePaul types away from home. Would much rather play 4 games against contenders.
Archie Miller is new HC at URI I believe. If Pike and Archie had a good relationship, playing URI at Mohegan is a possibility. What about Syracuse or BC at Mohegan?

Every plane ride and night in a hotel room is a deposit in the negative piggy bank. Plus it is 2-3 days away from the classroom.
I wish you were joking, but I know you are not......

We are a big time team the last time I checked. Stop being such a party pooper.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: BlockR
Agree with hawk. Zag game was dumb to even consider it.

not worried about schedule. It's fine.

3 teams that we will never see on a schedule by choice are UConn,Nova and Princeton. Just the way it is.
RU 72, please put in a good word for a Princeton game. Staying connected to them in a major sport has some small value for the university. And we had a good basketball history with them that old timers like me miss.

RU 72, please put in a good word for a Princeton game. Staying connected to them in a major sport has some small value for the university. And we had a good basketball history with them that old timers like me miss.
Class of 94 so I suppose I’m rapidly approaching old timer but Princeton was a fun/big game for me in school.

I have no issues with a home and home. We should pack Jadwin. Good road win
A standing home and home with Princeton wouldn’t be good for the style OOC we aim for. We only look to play 4 games that aren’t home cupcakes a year. That would lock us in to all 4 of those games and no neutral tournament for sure. It would be SHU, Princeton, Gavitt and ACC challenge most years.

Archie Miller is new HC at URI I believe. If Pike and Archie had a good relationship, playing URI at Mohegan is a possibility. What about Syracuse or BC at Mohegan?
BC would be better than RI only because it would at least mean we’d get someone else in the ACC challenge.

I’m assuming we’ll get someone who last played a road game. The options are Clemson, Miami, FSU (played those 3 recently), Duke (unlikely), ND (best case), Virginia Tech, UofL and BC. Do not want to play a road game at an ACC bottom feeder.

A standing home and home with Princeton wouldn’t be good for the style OOC we aim for. We only look to play 4 games that aren’t home cupcakes a year. That would lock us in to all 4 of those games and no neutral tournament for sure. It would be SHU, Princeton, Gavitt and ACC challenge most years.
Well we should adjust our OOC approach by a game then.

Well we should adjust our OOC approach by a game then.
That just doesn’t seem to be how Pike rolls. He wants most of the games to be for experimenting with line ups. The hope would be for him to sporadically go out on a limb and put us in a neutral tourney. He’d never do that if we had a standing game with Princeton in addition to SHU.

I have no issues with a home and home. We should pack Jadwin. Good road win
Anyone who thinks we should go to jadwin is one of those people who thinks playing schools that are ranked highly academically is more important.

I forgot who it was but someone said they enjoy RU playing ivy league and other high academic schools more than good sport program schools

ADVERTISEMENT