ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern 2021 recruiting bouncing back

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
3 kids now committed in the 140 to 160 range for 2021....latest is Casey Simmons from out of Massachusetts.

I know fans may not want to believe the B1G is the best conference top to bottom, but in many ways, Northwestern was the poster child for "if they can do it, why can't Rutgers"......RU rebuilt it's roster, one class, one recruit at a time, with an excellent staff and work ethic.

I know many believe once you are in the bottom 3 or 4 of the league, you're destined to stay there. RU will have to earn all their victories down the road, NW will be better down the road as well.

https://northwestern.rivals.com/news/northwestern-adds-another-with-casey-simmons

I thought I read that Simmons was a top 100 kid. Good pickups for Collins.

My business partner has two sons at NW. he’s an Illini grad. Both boys were brainiacs with opportunities at Michigan. He pleaded for them to go to UM so they could “win”. He’s a big sports nut. To no avail ...

There is a certain academic prestige that Northwestern offers more than any other B1G school. If Collins uses that to his advantage, he has a chance with the exceptionally bright players nationwide. There’s a potential niche there with the Ivy-level student/athletes who want the exposure of a P5 conference and who aren’t quite Duke level. No reason he shouldn’t be competing with Stanford and Notre Dame for kids.

Reactions: RUEd
There is a certain academic prestige that Northwestern offers more than any other B1G school. If Collins uses that to his advantage, he has a chance with the exceptionally bright players nationwide. There’s a potential niche there with the Ivy-level student/athletes who want the exposure of a P5 conference and who aren’t quite Duke level. No reason he shouldn’t be competing with Stanford and Notre Dame for kids.

I wouldn’t include Stanford with the rest of those schools. Stanford maybe the most difficult school to go into in this country.

GO RU

Reactions: rume
The big ten is now proving to be the best and toughest basketball conference ...

The coaching is outstanding from 1-14. And you better be recruiting and building every year...as it is a zero sum game...as to move up means you need to pass someone along the way ...or else you will be passed

for last years bottom four ...this isn’t like the 16 team big East where three or four out of five of Rutgers, seton hall, DePaul and Providence was destined to being in the bottom four.

The programs all have the resources in the big ten...a level playing field

Reactions: RutgHoops
No reason he shouldn’t be competing with Stanford and Notre Dame for kids.

Stanford has this kid

and this kid

in its 2020 recruiting class so Collins needs to get to work at Northwestern.

Stanford has this kid

and this kid

in its 2020 recruiting class so Collins needs to get to work at Northwestern.

Haase is doing a remarkable job recruiting right now and a lot of people haven’t even heard of him. However, Stanford is 83-76 during the past 5 seasons and NW is 80-83 during that time, including a 24-win season. Pretty close, but they have been trending in different directions recently. The point is that they are both P5 teams primarily known for their rigorous academics moreso than their athletics.

My business partner has two sons at NW. he’s an Illini grad. Both boys were brainiacs with opportunities at Michigan. He pleaded for them to go to UM so they could “win”. He’s a big sports nut. To no avail ...

My daughter attended----loved it----we got to go to the Rose Bowl with the Cats.

Don't know if that happens again so couldn't miss it.

They've done a fabulous job upgrading their facilities so that should help them . Their indoor practice facility and new Arena are first rate.

I'm not a big Collins guy but I like Fitz a great deal.

My daughter attended----loved it----we got to go to the Rose Bowl with the Cats.

Don't know if that happens again so couldn't miss it.

They've done a fabulous job upgrading their facilities so that should help them . Their indoor practice facility and new Arena are first rate.

I'm not a big Collins guy but I like Fitz a great deal.
That Ryan Center is spectacular. On the water, etc.

Haase is doing a remarkable job recruiting right now and a lot of people haven’t even heard of him. However, Stanford is 83-76 during the past 5 seasons and NW is 80-83 during that time, including a 24-win season. Pretty close, but they have been trending in different directions recently. The point is that they are both P5 teams primarily known for their rigorous academics moreso than their athletics.
Yes, this is true but you specifically said, of Coach Collins, that "No reason he shouldn’t be competing with Stanford and Notre Dame for kids."

I'm just pointing out that Stanford has a five-star and a four-star in its 2020 class. So, I was just pointing out that, based on your comment, Collins needs to get to work at Northwestern to compete with Stanford for kids.

2021 Top 150 count so far by conference as we enter July.

B1G 16
ACC 9
Big East 7
SEC 6

Sparty has struck twice in the last couple of weeks, today landing 5* SG Max Christie out of Illinois. The top 150 count is definitely cyclical but it is rare that I've seen the B1G securing so many commitments in this range.

The count as of July 7th, since Christie picked MSU

B1G 18
ACC 9
Big East 8
Pac 12 6
SEC 5
Big 12 2

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
My wife is a Northwestern alum. Our household are B1G proud since our son will be attending Purdue starting in the middle of next month. The NU campus is beautiful with the setting next to Lake Michigan and on a clear day a view of the Chicago skyline. There deep pocketed alum upgraded Ryan Field, Welsh Ryan Arena and built a 250 million dollar football palace. Married well. Go RU!

ADVERTISEMENT