ADVERTISEMENT

Not all RU fans see it the same

ruready07

All American
Apr 15, 2003
There are a bunch of fans who constantly practice self-pity and have such a defeatist attitude. These guys have seen low times on the banks and should be commended for their loyalty - BUT the routine is old now and it has no place in our plans moving forward.

The rest of us do not expect or welcome negative outcomes for our program in any way. We expect to win recruiting battles, expect our coaches and players to max out their potential and expect our program to get right back up to speed in short time.

We have seen winning football on the banks for the past decade, have put a ton of guys in the NFL and did it all with incredibly high academic achievement - there is no way we should let the negative minority erase all of those good things - and that is what is happening.
Negative news goes further and is more attention grabbing than positive , so if we don't get a handle on this ASAP, it will make our rebuild exponentially tougher.

Be proud of your program and it's potential . This isn't the 90's, 80's or the 40's - it's 2016 and everything is different . We have some of the best players in Nj already committed for next year - that's what we always wanted right??

They also don't realize it that they hurt the perception of the program when they are negative about it on here, Twitter and Facebook groups. These are the people who think that because we are 2-10 that the coaches are in over their heads as opposed to looking under the hood to see the real problems that can't be fixed overnight. They would rather just beat the program up as opposed to try and find solutions. They see no light at the end of the tunnel. Only they can change their attitudes but thankfully there are more of us positive people out there than these negatoids. They don't help at all.

There are a bunch of fans who constantly practice self-pity and have such a defeatist attitude. These guys have seen low times on the banks and should be commended for their loyalty - BUT the routine is old now and it has no place in our plans moving forward.

The rest of us do not expect or welcome negative outcomes for our program in any way. We expect to win recruiting battles, expect our coaches and players to max out their potential and expect our program to get right back up to speed in short time.

We have seen winning football on the banks for the past decade, have put a ton of guys in the NFL and did it all with incredibly high academic achievement - there is no way we should let the negative minority erase all of those good things - and that is what is happening.
Negative news goes further and is more attention grabbing than positive , so if we don't get a handle on this ASAP, it will make our rebuild exponentially tougher.

Be proud of your program and it's potential . This isn't the 90's, 80's or the 40's - it's 2016 and everything is different . We have some of the best players in Nj already committed for next year - that's what we always wanted right??

I wish I could like your post 1000 times. It has always been the way I felt, no matter who is the coach. SUPPORT THE PROGRAM.

They also don't realize it that they hurt the perception of the program when they are negative about it on here, Twitter and Facebook groups. These are the people who think that because we are 2-10 that the coaches are in over their heads as opposed to looking under the hood to see the real problems that can't be fixed overnight. They would rather just beat the program up as opposed to try and find solutions. They see no light at the end of the tunnel. Only they can change their attitudes but thankfully there are more of us positive people out there than these negatoids. They don't help at all.
I agree wholeheartedly, which is why it is ALWAYS important to SUPPORT THE PROGRAM. Some of us who did just that became objects of scorn and are still called out as "Floodies," when the fact is that we were just SUPPORTING THE PROGRAM. Some people have inside knowledge, or think they have inside knowledge because they heard something from the janitor in the Hale Center, at Subway or know one of the players' family. Information from these sources may or may not be correct, and I always take it with a grain of salt, as the person spreading the information have an agenda. The most important thing we can always do is SUPPORT THE PROGRAM, even if we do not agree with who is head coach, the offensive coordinator or anyone else on the staff. Now I will listen to those that spout FACTS talk about how RIGHT they were and they were well within their rights to lambaste the former coach, while others of us will ALWAYS SUPPORT THE PROGRAM.

I wish I could like your post 1000 times. It has always been the way I felt, no matter who is the coach. SUPPORT THE PROGRAM.

I agree wholeheartedly, which is why it is ALWAYS important to SUPPORT THE PROGRAM. Some of us who did just that became objects of scorn and are still called out as "Floodies," when the fact is that we were just SUPPORTING THE PROGRAM. Some people have inside knowledge, or think they have inside knowledge because they heard something from the janitor in the Hale Center, at Subway or know one of the players' family. Information from these sources may or may not be correct, and I always take it with a grain of salt, as the person spreading the information have an agenda. The most important thing we can always do is SUPPORT THE PROGRAM, even if we do not agree with who is head coach, the offensive coordinator or anyone else on the staff. Now I will listen to those that spout FACTS talk about how RIGHT they were and they were well within their rights to lambaste the former coach, while others of us will ALWAYS SUPPORT THE PROGRAM.

Could not agree more -
at the risk of poking a sharp stick in various directions - one of the challenges in building strong fan base in the Greater Rutgers Region is a lack of a long standing robust college football mentality - specifically a lack of the attitude that you outlined - which is a lot like the general perspective that one would find surrounding traditional Big Ten programs - and other old line major college teams.... want them to win - but win or lose - loyal to the core!
It often seem that in the Greater Rutgers Region - what in some cases passes for local college football fan mentality is a lot of elements of re-purposed Giants / Jet / Eagles /Yankees / current day Mets / Phillies / Rangers / Flyers fan mentality ...
However - guys getting paid millions of dollars to exclusively go to work on a gridiron are entirely different from 18-23 year old kids who are carrying 12-15 college credits and trying to juggle the issues of learning to be adults.
Coaches building professional teams often can & should be businesslike - because it is a business. College football is tough - but it is different - you ignore the fact that these are evolving young adults finding their way & you fail to connect with them.
The Fan bases around traditional long standing college programs have a compassion and a love for the team - they adore their players (maybe sometimes too much & with too much generosity & a maybe it inflates egos too much - but they love their team) - they know these kids are there for a short time & then they are gone & they try to appreciate them while they are there (they think of them as 'their kids') - and in reality these are overwhelmingly great highly dedicated kids.
- Also the Fan bases around traditional long standing college programs have a compassion for the coaching staff that perseveres through a lot of dismal results before it turns hostile - yes it turns if things stink - - but until it does, the support usually runs strong.
Remember these kids are used to being surrounded by a favorable fan base - so when they visit Blah-Blah State or University of Whatever - they are seeing a hyped up version of the adoration that they get back home - and it resonates with them - it attracts them.

The Greater Rutgers Region is a great place - and sometimes the edgy attitude is a great strength - but when it comes to supporting Rutgers Football, it would be fantastic if we could dial in just a bit of the relentlessly loyal mid-western support that some of the other B1G teams experience.

I really believe there is a school in central New Jersey that offers one of the most well-rounded educations in America. The school isn't Princeton and it plays sports in the best athletic conference in the land.

I transferred from a patriot league school to RU and can't tell you enough how much better Rutgers prepared me for life. Its a REAL place, not some fairy tale college campus where things are laid out for you and your experience ends up being the exact same as everyone else around you. That is not life and really doesn't serve our youth the way a university should .

Upstream Red Team

Nothing bothers me more than that defeatist attitude...no RU? No one cares!!!

Reactions: Knight Shift

Lame.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Here we go, any fan who predicts less than 7 wins next year is disloyal, a traitor to their alma mater, and of course the main reason why we lose recruits. Some things never change on this board, predictable, totally predictable.

Reactions: cicero grimes

Thanks for giving voice to what I think is the silent majority!

Here we go, any fan who predicts less than 7 wins next year is disloyal, a traitor to their alma mater, and of course the main reason why we lose recruits. Some things never change on this board, predictable, totally predictable.

Ruforlife, I agree with you - we have to be careful with expectations regarding wins and losses. Those are things we have little control over. But we shouldn't be careful in the type of enthusiasm we bring to the program .
For next year, we just need to show progress. It will let us know this staff is solid and from there we can build quicker

Though pretty much expected, this year's record was terrible. Blowout/shutout losses have made this team a laughingstock amongst our B1G brethren and college football fans in general. Hopefully Ash and Company can turn things around. Patience will be needed, but seems to be in short supply.

ADVERTISEMENT