ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Notable 2024 prospect set to visit campus

2094bef9bdcef1fa7d5dc54e734ee353b8c93fb5.gifv

RU, make it so

Let me say this and take away the fact that i am a die hard Rutgers fan! Just a few short years ago, we had no business going head to head in recruiting with schools like Iowa.

I am just using iowa as an example because Donnie has an official planned there and an unofficial to Rutgers. But right now, if I am a kid from the DC area and was choosing between Rutgers and Iowa, I am undoubtedly coming to Rutgers.

Sure, Keegan Murray was a top draft pick but not because he went to Iowa. He would have been that good in any program. They have gotten top kids and Pikiell is right on the precipice of getting the same quality. I really believe Cliff is going to be one of the highest draft picks we have ever had at Rutgers.

With the Rac renovations, Rutgers should be able to go head to head on most 4 star recruits. I wouldn’t be shocked if we land our first 5 star in the next few years. I am happy with kids who want to stay in the program for 4 years.

No data, but my gut sense is that NIL might help us in hoops and hurt in football. As a fanbase I feel like we can scrape up the funds to be competitive for a handful of top hoops players. And in NIL we are going from not being able to offer anything, to now being in the game. I don't think we can manage to compete in football just given the industrial scale of large numbers of players and dollars involved.

So with a great gameday experience, a top coach, a prime location, and now in the game with NIL, I don't see why we wouldn't start to get some top guys.

Last edited:
No data, but my gut sense that NIL might help us in hoops and hurt in football. As a fanbase I feel like we can scrape up the funds to be competitive for a handful of top hoops players. And in NIL we are going from not being able to offer anything, to now being in the game. I don't think we can manage to compete in football just given the industrial scale of large numbers of players and dollars involved.

So with a great gameday experience, a top coach, a prime location, and now in the game with NIL, I don't see why we wouldn't start to get some top guys.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. You can better target your NIL resources. I never bought the argument about basketball program building and recruiting being easier than football based on less numbers, but I do think it can work to your advantage with NIL.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Recruiting to Rutgers basketball has never been *that* hard to do. The FIG class, Rosario, Mack & Jack... even bad coaches were bringing in top-150 guys.

Recruiting to Rutgers basketball has never been *that* hard to do. The FIG class, Rosario, Mack & Jack... even bad coaches were bringing in top-150 guys.
The FIG class was solid, but I wouldn't put it in blockbuster category. I mean, did we land Watkins, Freeman, Thomas (Tim and Lance)? Waters was in on guys like Noah and Josh Boone early, but they were clearly looking for better offers. That said, we have been able to bring in solid classes, we just couldn't keep them here.

The FIG class was solid, but I wouldn't put it in blockbuster category. I mean, did we land Watkins, Freeman, Thomas (Tim and Lance)? Waters was in on guys like Noah and Josh Boone early, but they were clearly looking for better offers. That said, we have been able to bring in solid classes, we just couldn't keep them here.
All three were top 150. None were top 100 so not dynamite but a very very good class.

Let me say this and take away the fact that i am a die hard Rutgers fan! Just a few short years ago, we had no business going head to head in recruiting with schools like Iowa.

I am just using iowa as an example because Donnie has an official planned there and an unofficial to Rutgers. But right now, if I am a kid from the DC area and was choosing between Rutgers and Iowa, I am undoubtedly coming to Rutgers.

Sure, Keegan Murray was a top draft pick but not because he went to Iowa. He would have been that good in any program. They have gotten top kids and Pikiell is right on the precipice of getting the same quality. I really believe Cliff is going to be one of the highest draft picks we have ever had at Rutgers.

With the Rac renovations, Rutgers should be able to go head to head on most 4 star recruits. I wouldn’t be shocked if we land our first 5 star in the next few years. I am happy with kids who want to stay in the program for 4 years.

Keegan Murray was not a highly ranked recruit. Fran McCaffrey and now an HC like Pikiell are "selling" the same thing to these kids. "Look what I did with a lower ranked kid like Keegan/Harper. I spent years developing his skills and now those kids have a realistic shot at the NBA. Plus we regularly play big games in front of packed gyms and make the NCAAT. I can do that for you."

Pike built this program in six years where he can "sell" these ideas to the recruits. No HC has been able to sell that at Rutgers in decades. It's fairly remarkable. I am not surprised that higher ranked kids/their advisors are now willing to look at Rutgers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT