RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Went to the doubleheader today. Place was crazy and I gauge it at:
9000 UNC fans
7000 Kentucky fans
1000 UCLA fans
500 Ohio State fans and 2000 college hoops fans. Not an empty seat.
3 openings for Jimmy V and 2 for CBS Classic
Rutgers is better than UNC and certainly equivalent to Ohio State. UCLA is elite.
Let's put 8000 in the seats in February and make the most famous arena covet Rutgers in these huge events covered by every major national writer and outlet. Only way to market the program nationally and that matters.

I used to go to all of the in season "tournament / festival" games at MSG and at Barclays when I was younger and working in NYC. Was always a lot of fun !

I would prefer we have an annual game at MSG preferably in a Jimmy V type of event etc.

I'll be at the game in February vs Sparty

Reactions: ScarletDave
Unfortunately (from an RU hoops perspective) I'll be in Florida visiting my dad; otherwise I would absolutely be there. Love going to MSG for games.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
UCLA fans were loud on TV. Definitely plan on being there for our game.

If you live in the area you have 17 chances to see Rutgers play. If you live in the area you have 1 or 2 chances to see those other schools.

This 17 th chance to see RU is way more expensive than the other 16 games.

Not an apples to apples comparison.

Whether or not we play in these games barely moves the needle in marketing our team. Playing in the NCAA tournament and potentially advancing to the 2nd weekend has a 100X greater impact.

No one remembers who won or did what in the Jimmy V classic or a made up invitational by CBS sports at MSG.

This is about monetizing the brand.

Reactions: Plum Street
This year yep.

Reports are in the scrimmage the ru starting 5 was giving the work to the UNC starting 5.

The play of the court this year has seemed to back that up
No one knows what happened in that scrimmage lol. Rutgers and unc have a very similar resume this year and in terms of getting selected for nationally televised tournaments I’m sure the tie goes to a top 3 blue blood program of all time.

If you live in the area you have 17 chances to see Rutgers play. If you live in the area you have 1 or 2 chances to see those other schools.

This 17 th chance to see RU is way more expensive than the other 16 games.

Not an apples to apples comparison.
But an accurate comparison would assess benefits and cost, not just cost, a mistake many financial people make.

A lot of people place a high value on going to NYC, pre-gaming at a NYC sports bar, seeing us play at MSG, maybe going to dinner or other NYC entertainment. Going to MSG games is unique and a lot of fun.

So the Wake game was skipped to see a game or two at MSG-- you abandoned RU and missed a good one at the RAC

Reactions: #1 RUFan
So, the Wake game was skipped to see a game or two at MSG-- you abandoned RU and missed a good one at the RAC
I didn't think of it that way until you wrote it. Interesting.

It’s not always about “who’s better”.

UNC is L still much much more attractive and will draw much much more

No one knows what happened in that scrimmage lol. Rutgers and unc have a very similar resume this year and in terms of getting selected for nationally televised tournaments I’m sure the tie goes to a top 3 blue blood program of all time.
North Carolina has played a far more difficult out of conference schedule.

Bring back the MSG Holiday Festival the week between Christmas and New Years day. RU, St.Johns, Seton Hall and rotate UCONN and Cuse every other year - Make is an annual event.

Bring back the MSG Holiday Festival the week between Christmas and New Years day. RU, St.Johns, Seton Hall and rotate UCONN and Cuse every other year - Make is an annual event.
Issue would be Big East schools would play each other 3x a year before conference tourney. Doubt they want that.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Or rotate Cuse, Hall and St. John’s every year?
I like keeping the B1G, ACC and Big East repped every year. So keep RU and Cuse every year. I would also stick with UCONN to keep the big school feel - and UCONN draws great to the garden. That tourny would sell out every year.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Unfortunately (from an RU hoops perspective) I'll be in Florida visiting my dad; otherwise I would absolutely be there. Love going to MSG for games.

same here. Will be in Tampa visiting my father-in-law. Sorry to miss it.

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT