ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from the NEPSAC today

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Saw 8 games. 2 with Kante and 1 with Gavin.The good news is that neither kid is leaving early for the NBA. Both in their own right will be very good college players. Gavin has an excellent stroke,hops and good court vision. He had a bunch of turnovers early and played good,not great defense. Needs lots of time in the weight room. Funny,looks like a Syracuse player. Long arms on D and a shoot first mentality. Boeheim was there and apparently wanted him. I have no fear that he will ultimately sign with anyone else. Zero shot. He was wearing an R pullover. Kante was watched intently by Michigan,Iowa,Maryland,Pitt, Providence and Iowa. I think that TJ was there but not certain. Steve arrived just before Gavin's game. BTW,Gavin's team is terrible.It was once again made clear to me that Michigan had a firm lead over both Rutgers and Maryland,with Iowa and Providence perhaps in play.Brewster Academy has a team which would be a 10 or so seed in the NCAA's. They are that good. Taylor Bowen was the best player on the floor all day. No one close.
Pat Sellers confirmed that his CCSU team will be at the RAC around exam time in December. Gonzaga as a one off on the road is still very much at play for Rutgers. I want it badly and even a 10 point loss would due wonders with the selection committee in March.They care about road games of substance.

Saw 8 games. 2 with Kante and 1 with Gavin.The good news is that neither kid is leaving early for the NBA. Both in their own right will be very good college players. Gavin has an excellent stroke,hops and good court vision. He had a bunch of turnovers early and played good,not great defense. Needs lots of time in the weight room. Funny,looks like a Syracuse player. Long arms on D and a shoot first mentality. Boeheim was there and apparently wanted him. I have no fear that he will ultimately sign with anyone else. Zero shot. He was wearing an R pullover. Kante was watched intently by Michigan,Iowa,Maryland,Pitt, Providence and Iowa. I think that TJ was there but not certain. Steve arrived just before Gavin's game. BTW,Gavin's team is terrible.It was once again made clear to me that Michigan had a firm lead over both Rutgers and Maryland,with Iowa and Providence perhaps in play.Brewster Academy has a team which would be a 10 or so seed in the NCAA's. They are that good. Taylor Bowen was the best player on the floor all day. No one close.
Pat Sellers confirmed that his CCSU team will be at the RAC around exam time in December. Gonzaga as a one off on the road is still very much at play for Rutgers. I want it badly and even a 10 point loss would due wonders with the selection committee in March.They care about road games of substance.
You’re the best ! Love the intel and scouting reports !

Thank you Richard. Your love for RU hoops is unbelievable! know that TJ or Brandin was in Montgomery today watching someone. Wasn’t sure who it was only saw the outfit.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Thanks for all the intel! Gonzaga would be exciting. Any other 23’s RU is going after?
Yes,Rutgers has definitely offered Bowen. He has the look of a one and done. From what I could cull, Arkansas and UConn are heavily involved with him. He plays tomorrow am. So does Kante and I am relatively certain that Steve is still there and will be,alone or with an assistant tonight and tomorrow am. NIL will be available to high schoolers in CT on July 1. It already is in NJ. The New England preps will even get stronger,if that is possible.No apologies for how Juwan acted,but when he walks into a room or building heads turn and he becomes the focus. I'm relatively certain that these 16-18 year olds feel that. But Rutgers and Michigan do not normally recruit from the same pool. I feel strongly that when both of his kids are out of Michigan he will be an NBA coach.

If you're not familiar with NEPSAC,
Bowen - Brewster = AAA (highest Division)
Kante - South Kent = AAA
There are only a handful or so of AAA teams
Then there are divisions AA, A, B, C and D
Griffiths - Kingswood = B
There isn't must difference between A and B - many B schools would be strong A schools
Griffiths was co-player of the year in Class B last season

Reactions: Scangg
Not sure what Rutgers gets by playing Gonzaga on the road. That's a guranteed loss.
im all for a better OOC but want winnable games against mid tier ACC/Big east/SEC teams ect...
The problem is these mid tier teams generally don’t want to play someone like us, they have real risk of losing at home in an ugly game. VT used to have the same problem trying to schedule out of conference football games. Gonzaga plays in a weaker conference, so they need tougher out of conference games, and they believe they can beat anyone.

The problem is these mid tier teams generally don’t want to play someone like us, they have real risk of losing at home in an ugly game. VT used to have the same problem trying to schedule out of conference football games. Gonzaga plays in a weaker conference, so they need tougher out of conference games, and they believe they can beat anyone.
So let’s schedule a home and home vs Gonzaga. Or a Seattle/Boise and MSG series. I don’t want a single away game or a single neutral site game out near Gonzaga.

That is very true. However, they don't strike me as the scared type. Plus if we played them at home I'd probably be in my seat about 3 days before tip I'd be so pumped.
What are you scared of? We have played the top of the Big 10 for the last 3 years and the only game on the road that was a disaster was Illinois when Geo was missing and half the team was under the weather. We fixed that by the end of the year and kicked their ass at home by 15.

Long trip
Too bad there isn’t a week off from conference play to do games like this in late Jan early Feb.

What are you scared of? We have played the top of the Big 10 for the last 3 years and the only game on the road that was a disaster was Illinois when Geo was missing and half the team was under the weather. We fixed that by the end of the year and kicked their ass at home by 15.
I'm not scared. I would love to play them. I think they would be foolish to play on our home court though given our history of upsets.

Gonzaga plays absolutely no one ever on the road, biggest reason they'll never advance on a consistent basis to the Final Four, despite being overseeded as the #1 overall seed.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Maybe. So then schedule a two game series at MSG and whatever city near Gonzaga that isn’t Spokane.

Someone above says Gonzaga thinks they can beat anyone, but do you think they are afraid to play us at the RAC?
Not afraid…but not much to gain and a lot to potentially lose. Like us playing at UMass but on a much lower scale.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Gonzaga plays absolutely no one ever on the road, biggest reason they'll never advance on a consistent basis to the Final Four, despite being overseeded as the #1 overall seed.
If Gonzaga ever does travel to NJ, it would be its first visit to the Garden State since 2001, when the Zags actually played in West Long Branch. Monmouth still played at Boylan Gym (capacity 2,500) at the time.

https://gozags.com/news/2001/12/29/No_22_Bulldogs_Breeze_By_Monmouth_79_54.aspx

They will be playing at texas this year and they have played in chapel hill at memphis at michigan st at ucla at arizona in years past. Their problem always has been their conference has been soo bad they don't get any better during conference play.

ADVERTISEMENT