ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame-Wake Forest game postponed-COVID

LOL...and they have the kind of wiggle room the B1G does NOT have! #thanksWarren

Reactions: Section124
Have thresholds been set for the number of players who can test positive yet the team will still play with those available? If ND had only 5 positive tests versus 13 are they playing? I guess you can't be sure for a couple of days whether others who have been exposed might test positive?

This blows, but we can’t overreact to each one of these stories. Remember when golf first started up and a couple of guys on tour tested positive after the first week? It was the end of the world, no sports can be played, blah, blah. Granted, football is a little tougher to navigate because of the nature of the game, but let’s just take it week by week.

The corona bros. definitely seem to get excited by news like this. It's so weird.
Get rid of the bro’s, bring out the corona sisters, they ain’t catholic
corona-girls.jpg.cf.jpg

My daughter is a freshman at Michigan. Lots of athletes have Covid.
Interesting and congrats to her. How are their overall numbers?

My daughter is a freshman at ND and the numbers in the student/staff population are very small at this point. They have had 700 total cases (most from an initial outbreak from two off-campus parties the first week), but only 33 are estimated as currently active as of 9/21. The word was that most positive cases had minor symptoms and only 1 student went to the ER, but was returned to the quarantine location and is fine.

We will see what the numbers look like tomorrow after this football spike. ND usually releases the numbers around noon.

True, huge misconception on this board that people treating the pandemic seriously are somehow rooting for it to torpedo sports and daily life.
It torpedoed my life pretty well.I'm in real trouble when I can't take a shower at gym.I'm not 25 any more.Immediate showers are crucial to avoiding pain.I had to buy a $200 dollar device to work on my knee pain.

Interesting and congrats to her. How are their overall numbers?

My daughter is a freshman at ND and the numbers in the student/staff population are very small at this point. They have had 700 total cases (most from an initial outbreak from two off-campus parties the first week), but only 33 are estimated as currently active as of 9/21. The word was that most positive cases had minor symptoms and only 1 student went to the ER, but was returned to the quarantine location and is fine.

We will see what the numbers look like tomorrow after this football spike. ND usually releases the numbers around noon.

Congrats to your daughter as well. Michigan seems to be doing "fine". Numbers appear to be rising as this is their third week on campus which seems to be when the virus starts to spread on college campuses. It appears UM is seeing about 40-50 positive cases per week as per their dashboard.

If all teams in the Big Ten Conference follow the daily testing protocols, contact tracing may be a moot issue:

While this sounds good on the surface, if it's detecting levels of virus that are below the infectious viability threshold you're going to have half the entire team if not more test positive. And since we know that viral DNA remnants can remain in your system for weeks, these players will likely continue to test positive all while never being contagious.

I think it would be more prudent to tweak the testing to bring the positive result threshold closer to the viability threshold of the virus. I'm not sure if this is possible given the way the test is structured, but we run the risk of having an oversensitive test wrongfully torpedoing the season.

ND: No daily testing.
Big Ten: Required daily testing.

Hopefully that is what makes the difference for the Big Ten.

Also the hope that unlike ND, many (but certainly not all) B1G schools prioritize safety of students, fans and coaches over football.

Reactions: Greg2020
mmm--let's count how many games have been played vs those postponed--can we likewise have a similiarly jubilant annoucement each time a game is played---there will be other games stopped -it's inevitable and to be fair the better story is how quickly (thank God) these college aged kids recover with mild symptons in the first place--just keep them on campus and away from those more seriously affected

Covid will be the 3rd leading cause of death in the US in 2020. If we were losing 1,000 people a day in car crashes on US highways the national speed limit would be 12 miles per hour. Use your brain.
I believe it's up to 2nd now and car crash fatalities were the reason seat-belts must be used since around 1991.

Reactions: Greg2020
ADVERTISEMENT