ADVERTISEMENT

Now that Corey is returning ...a lesson for fans to learn

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Guys

Now that Corey has announced he is returning ...something to really consider going forward ...

Regardless of how this turned out (and this one turns out well for RU), remember that college athletes are still at the end of the day people.

Yes playing four years (maybe five if they redshirt) and getting an opportunity to get a college education and represent the name on the front of the jersey is a PRIVLEDGE and not a right...and the student athlete should respect this

But at the same time...they are people. Some of which have personal considerations, and sometimes these personal consideration to go as far as even to cause major personal problems that clearly have a priority of playing a college sport even at the highest level

I look at josh hicks story last season for the football program as a perfect example

Point is...there are personal things that come into play that are private that don't need to be in the public forum and do influence decisions on what a student athlete chooses to do

Let me be clear that I am NOT saying this is Case for Corey. I really don't know.
But if you read some of the things out there...you can see this was weighing on him and we really don't know what is gojng on

Point is...when this happens ...and it WILL happen again...just let it play out...support our own, wish for the best, wish them well as a representative of our school ...and refrain from the bashing as we really don't know the whole story and really aren't entitled to know, even has passionate fans and supporters

Guys

Now that Corey has announced he is returning ...something to really consider going forward ...

Regardless of how this turned out (and this one turns out well for RU), remember that college athletes are still at the end of the day people.

Yes playing four years (maybe five if they redshirt) and getting an opportunity to get a college education and represent the name on the front of the jersey is a PRIVLEDGE and not a right...and the student athlete should respect this

But at the same time...they are people. Some of which have personal considerations, and sometimes these personal consideration to go as far as even to cause major personal problems that clearly have a priority of playing a college sport even at the highest level

I look at josh hicks story last season for the football program as a perfect example

Point is...there are personal things that come into play that are private that don't need to be in the public forum and do influence decisions on what a student athlete chooses to do

Let me be clear that I am NOT saying this is Case for Corey. I really don't know.
But if you read some of the things out there...you can see this was weighing on him and we really don't know what is gojng on

Point is...when this happens ...and it WILL happen again...just let it play out...support our own, wish for the best, wish them well as a representative of our school ...and refrain from the bashing as we really don't know the whole story and really aren't entitled to know, even has passionate fans and supporters

Well said. Sadly, the world is full of people who simply cannot resist the urge. The ability to exercise judgement, discipline and tact is too often mistaken for political correctness. I fully recognize freedom of speech, but whatever happened to good old fashioned values? Just because you CAN say something, doesn't mean you should.

Guys

From what I have seen, people were offering their honest opinion on Sanders. Pointing out flaws is not bashing him. They were expressing what they felt were reasons he should stay at RU. Now I didn't pour over all the comments, but the ones I saw weren't very harsh. If they were demeaning and fabricated, that's one thing. But people expressing opinions on a basketball forum is what happens. I am glad he chose to come back. It is what's best for him and for Rutgers in my opinion.

Guys

Totally agree - and would add
(1.) - not only are they people - but it has to be understood that they are 18-25 year-old people - often grappling with choices that in the business world, you would have multiple project teams seeking to resolve. In a corporation - think about many business decisions with a long range impact - and potentially a multi-million dollar range of outcomes - how many minds would be involved, how many days, weeks , months - how many scenarios run, & re-run - how many pages would the business case be?
Have to keep in mind that these kids are often working their way through challenging issues often almost entirely by themselves - and ultimately the have to figure out what works best for them.

(2.) - summon up some faith in the coaching staff - not every uncertainty is going to be instantly met with an immediate tangible reaction - not every moment of anxiety has to be immediately quelled with some dramatic move or piece of news.

Some just plain out forgot Corey , like everyone, needs to do what's best for his future and not knock him for trying to find out if his time is now to turn pro.
There were some posters that gave good and reasonable critiques of his talent and how they help/hinder his draft chances if he goes now.
It seems those posters seem to know the players are thinking about their future while still on the roster and they know Rutgers is just a means to an end like they were to Rutgers when Rutgers recruited them.
Rutgers didn't recruit them just to give them an education, RU wants a winning MBB program and recruited them to reach that goal.
When a player gives his all during the season, stays academically eligible and out of trouble, the posters who treat them fairly when they look at pro careers before all of their eligibility is used u are the posters I enjoy reading what they think of a players talent when it comes to entering the NBA draft .

Others just posted out of frustration anything and everything they could think of to put Corey down because they were worried how this upcoming season would be without Sanders in the line-up. Those are the poster that need to take a good look at themselves and realize playing for Rutgers isn't a lifetime job and the pl;ayers on the RUMBB roster must look at their future as well as being loyal to the program while they are playing College ball.
Some have their eyes on the pros and no one should begrudge their trying to find out where they stand when it comes to their being ready for a pro career,even if that means declaring for the draft every year and coming back if they don't hear their game is up to NBA standards yet

I am happy Cory made the right decision. There's no way he was going to get drafted in the NBA this year. (We had the same issue with Delgado). Unfortunately, agents get into these kids' ears make promises of rich NBA contracts that are totally unrealistic.

and I suppose your bashing of Sanders and not the team is to counter-balance this?
Some truth to this. 3-33 B1G record and it drives me crazy that people blame the other 4 players and not at all the guy with the ball in his hands the majority of EVERY possession. I was defending Corey early in the season when we faced a lot of zone in the OOC and he wasn't forcing things and wasn't "putting up numbers"

Some just plain out forgot Corey , like everyone, needs to do what's best for his future and not knock him for trying to find out if his time is now to turn pro.
There were some posters that gave good and reasonable critiques of his talent and how they help/hinder his draft chances if he goes now.
It seems those posters seem to know the players are thinking about their future while still on the roster and they know Rutgers is just a means to an end like they were to Rutgers when Rutgers recruited them.
Rutgers didn't recruit them just to give them an education, RU wants a winning MBB program and recruited them to reach that goal.
When a player gives his all during the season, stays academically eligible and out of trouble, the posters who treat them fairly when they look at pro careers before all of their eligibility is used u are the posters I enjoy reading what they think of a players talent when it comes to entering the NBA draft .

Others just posted out of frustration anything and everything they could think of to put Corey down because they were worried how this upcoming season would be without Sanders in the line-up. Those are the poster that need to take a good look at themselves and realize playing for Rutgers isn't a lifetime job and the pl;ayers on the RUMBB roster must look at their future as well as being loyal to the program while they are playing College ball.
Some have their eyes on the pros and no one should begrudge their trying to find out where they stand when it comes to their being ready for a pro career,even if that means declaring for the draft every year and coming back if they don't hear their game is up to NBA standards yet

I know I'll get a response from the guy, but.....To pinpoint how ridiculous it got. I saw one guy who criticized Sanders for his " reaction and body language" after missing Foul Shots. Come on Man, Really silly stuff.

It would be really unfortunate if Sanders read any of the comments here...some were over the top.

Last edited:
Some truth to this. 3-33 B1G record and it drives me crazy that people blame the other 4 players and not at all the guy with the ball in his hands the majority of EVERY possession. I was defending Corey early in the season when we faced a lot of zone in the OOC and he wasn't forcing things and wasn't "putting up numbers"

If the other 4 players were better it would not have been necessary for the ball to be in Corey's hand the majority of every possession.

I think most people were and are pretty reasonable with their evaluations of Corey's play last year, both positive and negative.

Ball in his hands most of the time does not mean he can turn Water into Wine. This is a still a Team Sport and the other players still have to get open, catch and score. If they did, maybe Sanders averages 6 assists per game.

Totally agree - and would add
(1.) - not only are they people - but it has to be understood that they are 18-25 year-old people - often grappling with choices that in the business world, you would have multiple project teams seeking to resolve. In a corporation - think about many business decisions with a long range impact - and potentially a multi-million dollar range of outcomes - how many minds would be involved, how many days, weeks , months - how many scenarios run, & re-run - how many pages would the business case be?
Have to keep in mind that these kids are often working their way through challenging issues often almost entirely by themselves - and ultimately the have to figure out what works best for them.

(2.) - summon up some faith in the coaching staff - not every uncertainty is going to be instantly met with an immediate tangible reaction - not every moment of anxiety has to be immediately quelled with some dramatic move or piece of news.
Somehow I must have missed the "often grappling with choices that in the business world, you would have multiple project teams seeking to resolve" when I was that age.

The best example of this is the abuse Gary Nova took - amazingly I bet our fan base would love to have Gary start this year.

The best example of this abuse is the abuse Chas Dodd took... usually from the Gary Nova fans.

He reads the comments here. Everyone involved in Rutgers basketball reads this forum, or knows someone who reads what's written here and passes along the info.

I will second this strongly. Which was part of my purpose of the original message to start this thead

He reads the comments here. Everyone involved in Rutgers basketball reads this forum, or knows someone who reads what's written here and passes along the info.

Nothing like a bunch of "Back Seat Drivers" talking smack about one of our own...sad

This is what drives me crazy!!!!!

Why? A point guard passes the ball to a guy on the wing, if he goes straight up and makes it, the point guard gets an assist. Better shooters equal more assist for the point guard.

Corey can play better and so can the other guys on the floor.

You seem to be forgetting Mike Teel!

Did not forget and while it was close, it just seemed that the abuse Nova took was often more personal in nature. They both received a lot more than Dodd. People still talk about Nova against Va Tech in the bowl game, Chas was probably worse against ND.

the indirect and direct bashing of our team minus Sanders to me is the bigger issue.
----
I think bashing is the wrong word.... many fans thought that if we lost two guards that we count on, the next year would be tough to win even as many games as this past year.... it is not bashing, it is just being
pessimistic as to how many games could be won, based on remaining and incoming talent.

Why? A point guard passes the ball to a guy on the wing, if he goes straight up and makes it, the point guard gets an assist. Better shooters equal more assist for the point guard.

Corey can play better and so can the other guys on the floor.

He NEVER passed when penetrating.

Did not forget and while it was close, it just seemed that the abuse Nova took was often more personal in nature. They both received a lot more than Dodd. People still talk about Nova against Va Tech in the bowl game, Chas was probably worse against ND.
Nova's game against VT was epically awful

Nova 17/40 129 yd 0 td's 1 picks
Dodd 10/28 156 yds 1 td 3 picks

No one expected much from RU & Dodd vs, ND. The Nova performance, given how well our D played, was worse

I remember Va Tech game where Savon Huggins was wide open on a screen pass with a blocker in front. Could have been a 20 yard gain and Gary threw a lousy pass. And Ru was up 10-0 with that great defense. Ugh

I pray for a day when fans stop acting like these athletes owe us a single thing.

I think it comes down to this more than anything. With the money available in Europe, along with the d-league turning into a somewhat lucrative league, guys are going to be leaving school early more and more. Hard to blame anyone for trying to get away from the NCAAs shenanigans as soon as possible. You expect the players to hold up their end of the bargain during the school year and season, but at the end of the year they owe the fans, teammates, coaches, etc. nothing.

I would love to see the D-League be able to take kids just out of HS in their draft and have the NBA make being draft eligible for the players who completed 2 years of college ball.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
What, exactly is "bashing" anyway? Is it criticizing a player's performance by legitimate, reasonable standards? No. Is it suggesting someone is not ready for the next level? No, of course not, because there are more than 300 DI teams and a lot fewer NBA teams. Is it decrying poor decisions, turnovers, lack of progress? No, no and no.

There are obvious things you don't do, but most of the criticism was not, to me, bashing. Repetitive, perhaps.

Nova's game against VT was epically awful

Nova 17/40 129 yd 0 td's 1 picks
Dodd 10/28 156 yds 1 td 3 picks

No one expected much from RU & Dodd vs, ND. The Nova performance, given how well our D played, was worse

Plus Dodd never had the benefit of Carroo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT