ADVERTISEMENT

Now that NIL is here. Donate to school vs pay a player for an ad

This is a long overdue ruling. College athletes should not be restricted in their side hustle.

The only people arguing against this move are boomers (who miss the good old days and exploitative systems that are conveniently more beneficial to them or the foundation of their current status) or anyone that profits from the NCAA cartel.

Kudos to RU for being ahead of this. Like everything else in college sports, Schiano and Crew will leverage and use this to their recruiting advantage.
So you're in favor of full on free agency? Because that's what this is with no restrictions like the NFL. Hey I could get behind this if there were some sort of rules, but there aren't. No salary cap and no restrictions on free agency(transfer portal) and this will become a sh*ts show within the next couple years. Wait and watch the carnage unfold.

What will happen if the University of Xyz is a Nike school and Billy Bob Jones Signs a deal with Under Armour, New Balance, Adidas, Reebok, new shoe/cleat company of the week? Whoever he signs with is going to want him wearing their stuff when he plays and does interviews, aren’t they ?

What will happen if the University of Xyz is a Nike school and Billy Bob Jones Signs a deal with Under Armour, New Balance, Adidas, Reebok, new shoe/cleat company of the week? Whoever he signs with is going to want him wearing their stuff when he plays and does interviews, aren’t they ?
Yes, Billy Bob Jones will wear the gear he signed with, and give Nike (and, his school) the finger. TS.

Brigham Young University sets NIL policy and standards. I expect other religious schools will follow. Well, except for Baylor lol

Maybe Baylor will limit the number of rapes.

Cant wait to see the resentment and jealousy develop between have and have not teammates
Assign a team chaplain to gather them together on Sunday morning for training on:

(1) humility, (2) charity, (3) chastity, (4) gratitude, (5) temperance, (6) patience, and (7) diligence.

Wow. Didn't know they have no social media in the rest of the country! 😳

This whole NIL thing got me thinking. What must be going through Jeremy Bloom's mind as college kids can make money now? The NCAA pressured him to pass on endorsements as a top skier (Olympic) if he wanted to continue playing football at the University of Colorado? The NCAA ruled him ineligible. Bloom would be one of the few athletes who could have made millions.

I get what you're saying, but think homeboy is sippin' some bourbon and doin' alright:

"Jeremy Bloom is an American former skier and American football player. He is the only athlete in history to both ski in the Winter Olympics and be drafted into the National Football League. As a skier, he is a three-time world champion, two-time Olympian, and 11-time World Cup gold medalist."

"Bloom has modeled with Tommy Hilfiger, Abercrombie & Fitch (A&F:Rising Stars Christmas 2004), GQ Magazine and Cosmopolitan magazine. He was a frequent guest host on Video Stew on Palladia and was a VJ for the channel. He has appeared on magazine covers for Cargo, Outside, Sports Illustrated on Campus, Hooked on the Outdoors, and Mile High Sports."

Oh yeah, and Kevin Costner played his dad on the big screen.

This is all so depressing. I get my kids to watch college sports and tell them how great it is that these guys/gals play and practice as hard as the pros and on top of that they are full time students yada yada. I try to make myself think it's not as bad as people make it out to be. However it is that bad and will never return to true amateurism. Ugh
Can’t remember the last time there was true amateurism. It has always been about the $$$, now players can make money legally instead of under the table and $100 handshakes.

I don’t know if this has been discussed but what happens to high school athletes? Can they follow the college NIL model?

ADVERTISEMENT