ADVERTISEMENT

Number of 2019 season tickets

Myrtleknight

Junior
Mar 25, 2006
How is Hobbs going to spin it this year on the 150th anniversary. Last year it was the Yankee stadium game. This year, I have no idea what the hell he is going to say.

2015 - 31,168
2016 - 28,478
2017 - 23,812
2018 - 22,337
2019 - ?????

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2018/09/in-depth_look_at_rutgers_sagging_ticket_sales_as_s.html

Season tickets are definitely on the way down yet again. My blind guess is they end up with down to around 12,000 - 15,000. If you asked me what the chance of the happening in 2015 was I would’ve said less than 1% given the major state universities becoming regular home opponents. Say we lose 20k season ticket holders in 4 years. That’s like $10m a year. This is an epic f up.

Reactions: RUskoolie
I don't know about season ticket sales, but overall attendance will likely drop under 20k this year, I'd say.

Each of our OOC games are drivable for opposing fans (UMass, BC, Liberty), and there's a legitimate shot to see a road win for all of them, so there might be a small uptick for those games. But the bigger B1G attendance draws of Michigan and PSU are away this year.

Only a drop of 2,000- 4,000 from last year ? LMAO

Pass me whatever you are smoking. Hobbs is in panic mode.... calls from Brian Leonard, mass mailing of reminders to renew, etc.
Not smoking anything, so back it down there champ. You need to realize there is an old guard who buy tickets no matter what, so the team could go -4 and 16 and they would still buy tickets. (Although I don't think that's physically possible to have -4 wins, but, hey, we're Rutgers, so ya never know.) What I really want to see is the actual attendance numbers from last year (vs. tickets sold/distributed attendance): I think that tells a whole different story. In 2017 that was at 24,416, which means that on average the stadium was less than half full.

If you asked me what the chance of the happening in 2015 was I would’ve said less than 1% given the major state universities becoming regular home opponents.

You obviously didn't pay close attention to the recruiting of the prior coach then if you were that optimistic.

Reactions: Myrtleknight
How is Hobbs going to spin it this year on the 150th anniversary. Last year it was the Yankee stadium game. This year, I have no idea what the hell he is going to say.

2015 - 31,168
2016 - 28,478
2017 - 23,812
2018 - 22,337
2019 - ?????

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2018/09/in-depth_look_at_rutgers_sagging_ticket_sales_as_s.html

Season tickets are definitely on the way down yet again. My blind guess is they end up with down to around 12,000 - 15,000. If you asked me what the chance of the happening in 2015 was I would’ve said less than 1% given the major state universities becoming regular home opponents. Say we lose 20k season ticket holders in 4 years. That’s like $10m a year. This is an epic f up.
Thats why its funny when people blow off the notion that Hobbs is on thin ice. His only saving grace to this point is that Barchi dosent care about athletics.This mess with football, poor on field results,loss of millions $ in season tickets will not fly with BOG and influential boosters. Hobbs has done a decent job fundraising but hasn't hired a hired a head coach for a revenue sport that has finished at even .500.

Reactions: scarletbergen
Not smoking anything, so back it down there champ. You need to realize there is an old guard who buy tickets no matter what, so the team could go -4 and 16 and they would still buy tickets. (Although I don't think that's physically possible to have -4 wins, but, hey, we're Rutgers, so ya never know.) What I really want to see is the actual attendance numbers from last year (vs. tickets sold/distributed attendance): I think that tells a whole different story. In 2017 that was at 24,416, which means that on average the stadium was less than half full.
The difference is that for a lot of the old guard "no matter what" finally ended this offseason.

Incompetence year after year didn't get me to cut my ticket total even though I ate tickets for a few games every year. The arrogance of current leadership finally has.

Only a drop of 2,000- 4,000 from last year ? LMAO

Pass me whatever you are smoking. Hobbs is in panic mode.... calls from Brian Leonard, mass mailing of reminders to renew, etc.

I don’t understand why Hobbs would be in panic mode . If he had any pulse of the fanbase, read this board, or listened to the “ash must go” and “buyout” he would know this was expected. Dopes like us on the message board saw it . If he didn’t see this coming and is in panic mode, he is incompetent.

Wish there was a way to have a poll that shows the number tickets people are dropping and calculates the total at the end

Old Guard ? Season ticket sales dropped by 9000 over a 3 year period thru last season.
How did that “old guard” work out for you ? I am part of that group and I know of at least 10 folks who are also dropping tickets.
We wii see actual Renewal tickets for 2019 in 4 months when it becomes Public record.
The facts will then speak for themselves.
As for walk up / actual sales to boast Attendance, the on field performance of Ash will speak for themselves this season.

Reactions: BlockR
Just renewed - dropping from 5 tickets with 2 parking passes to 1 ticket with no parking.

Rep didn't utter a word of protest, didn't ask why, didn't try to convince me to keep the other tickets. They've given up.

I'm questioning why I even kept 1 (to hold the priority points for when we're "good" again and three will be demand for tickets?)

Last edited:
Season tickets are down and going down over the whole college football landscape
Not just RU.....unless schools get realistic with PPL'S and prices they are going to continue to go down

LOL. He's upset because Brian Leonard didn't call him. Gotta go, Brian is calling again. . . .

Just renewed - dropping from 5 tickets/2 parking passes to 1 ticket with no parking.

Rep didn't utter a word of protest, didn't ask why, didn't try to convince me to keep the other tickets. They've given up.

I'm questioning why I even kept 1 (to hold the priority points for when we're "good" again and three will be demand for tickets?)
Bad job by the rep.
When I renewed online, before entering my credit card information, two separate popups/opportunities appeared to buy additional single game tickets and to buy more season tickets. Thought that this was smart on their part. Did not see that in years past.

I think this year is bloody...around 15k with sparse
actuals in building....

they will hesitate to show the stands on tv..that bad

I think the number will be 15-17,000. From 34,000 season tickets in 2014 to 17,000 in 2019. At $500 a ticket.

Next time someone brags about how smart RU leadership is, what they've done for the school, this BOG person has 3 degrees, and the President is a doctor. Remember that these fools pissed away about $9m a year in ticket revenue in order to cut the school subsidy 2m a year and be revenue neutral. I have no respect for them. They're financial morons and they way they treat the athletic department I rather they not even have athletics here.

Last year was the straw that broke the camels back for long time season ticket holders, die hards and large boosters.

Pat Hobbs screwed up royally here but nothing changes until that clown Barchi is gone.

I think the number will be 15-17,000. From 34,000 season tickets in 2014 to 17,000 in 2019. At $500 a ticket.

Next time someone brags about how smart RU leadership is, what they've done for the school, this BOG person has 3 degrees, and the President is a doctor. Remember that these fools pissed away about $9m a year in ticket revenue in order to cut the school subsidy 2m a year and be revenue neutral. I have no respect for them. They're financial morons and they way they treat the athletic department I rather they not even have athletics here.

Last year was the straw that broke the camels back for long time season ticket holders, die hards and large boosters.

Pat Hobbs screwed up royally here but nothing changes until that clown Barchi is gone.

Yup. I've said it before but the fact that Rutgers sat on their collective asses from 2 1/2 years after the official B1G invite on 11/20/2012 before trying to improve any facilities told me all I needed to know. We had a golden opportunity and blew it. Now it will take a long, long time to catch up.

Wish there was a way to have a poll that shows the number tickets people are dropping and calculates the total at the end
Might be able to setup something on SurveyMonkey, if that still exists, online and attach the link to a poll in the message board. I think SurveyMonkey used to provide statistics on responses.

Hobbs may have to put out some new FakeNews tweets about football season tickets numbers soon.
Take him off the hot seat!
Lmao.

Reactions: Plum Street
No spin to do.
It's no secret the team was 1-11 last year.
Season tickets would of course be falling.

Hobbs is all-in on Ash turning things around. I hope he's right, but I have my doubts, of course.
If things turn around ticket sales will improve. If not, well I guess we start over again.

That last sentence contains two contrary statements.
Maybe Pat Hobbs wanted to unload Ash and Barchi said no. Nobody knows. But to say he "screwed up royally here" is not a rational statement. You are probably referring to the purported 7 year deal which is really a 5 year deal, but keep in mind that there were very few worthwhile candidates that would have considered signing on to this dumpster fire that Flood left with anything other than that contract. Guessing that 80-90% of the board was pretty optimistic about hiring the DC from National Champion Ohio State in 2015. Anything else is revisionist history and sour grapes, IMO.

Repost from another thread:

August 31, 2018 article:
https://www.ctpost.com/sports/jeffj...s-Future-of-UConn-football-isn-t-13195151.php
When a UConn athletic department representative said Monday that allocated season tickets had dropped from 16,000 to 9,000, the news was startling. Sure, we can talk about how the Huskies had 32,500 season ticket holders in 2005 and five years later still had 27,500. We can talk about how the team filled or nearly filled the Rent in those days and how losses upon losses the past seven years have led to erosion, disgust, more erosion, and apathy.

Yet season tickets reportedly had held at about 16,000 for three years and, after only one year of Randy Edsall II, erosion became, boom, a sinkhole? A drop became a free-fall of nearly 50 percent? It seemed hard to believe.

Turns out, for good reason. On Thursday, UConn clarified that 16,000 included corporate and staff tickets, visiting team comps, band, recruiting and high school coaches. UConn is at 13,000 for 2018.

The paid figure includes public season-ticket sales, as well as full and five-game student season-ticket plans. That number is about 9,500 this year and 11,200 last year. Look, from the start in 2003, those season-ticket figures included lots of comps, etc. Nevertheless, with seven successive losing seasons, the erosion is steady. Anger has become apathy.

Not to mention, UConn went 17-44 over the previous five years.
-------------------
Note to Pat Hobbs and Bob Barchi:

RU is 11-37 over the previous 4 years. Don't think that it can't happen here. The full share is not a panacea. Winning is.

Guessing that 80-90% of the board was pretty optimistic about hiring the DC from National Champion Ohio State in 2015. Anything else is revisionist history and sour grapes, IMO.

I was really optimistic until his staff was announced - then I was not as optimistic. I didn't have much faith that a bunch of young guns recently promoted to their current roles, with no experienced play caller, was going to shore up the expected offensive knowledge gap inherent in hiring a former DC as a HC.

I was really optimistic until his staff was announced - then I was not as optimistic. I didn't have much faith that a bunch of young guns recently promoted to their current roles, with no experienced play caller, was going to shore up the expected offensive knowledge gap inherent in hiring a former DC as a HC.
I was optimistic and thought Mehringer was going to be a spark plug for recruiting and energizing the players, but it did not take long to figure out that his lack of experience at the P5 level was a major Achilles heel. On top of that, he did not have the experience, hindsight or foresight to realize that forcing a pro-style QB (who was not a world beater to begin with, but serviceable) into his system was a really bad move. And Ash apparently had absolutely no clue that what Merhringer was doing was going to fail. Oddly, however, Ash recognized in practice that Gio had a better skill set for Mehringer's offense.

I recognized Gio's potential in Feb. 2016 by a review of his HS film.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/gio-the-dual-threat-qb.74153/

Maybe if Ash had done the same and worked on developing Gio earlier in Spring 2016, just maybe he would developed a little better as a starting QB. But Ash had said that he did not look at any player's past film, either 2015 film at Rutgers (and probably HS film) to get a sense for what their capabilities were.

The guy just seems to have some rigid, formulaic ways of doing things, and does not deviate from them. Sometimes you have to deviate from internal playbook and take risks to succeed. But risk-taking is not something Ash does.

That last sentence contains two contrary statements.
Maybe Pat Hobbs wanted to unload Ash and Barchi said no. Nobody knows. But to say he "screwed up royally here" is not a rational statement. You are probably referring to the purported 7 year deal which is really a 5 year deal, but keep in mind that there were very few worthwhile candidates that would have considered signing on to this dumpster fire that Flood left with anything other than that contract. Guessing that 80-90% of the board was pretty optimistic about hiring the DC from National Champion Ohio State in 2015. Anything else is revisionist history and sour grapes, IMO.

Al Golden, Mario Cristobal and PJ Fleck all had strong interest in coming here. All 3 are better than Ash (cannot believe I am typing that) all 3 damn well can recruit circles around him. I highly doubt all 3 required a 7 year guaranteed contract.

Oh, and all 3 were HCs previously and knew NJ previously. 2 of the 3 had worked at Rutgers already.

So yes, Hobbs will get plenty of shit from me because he doesn't know football at all and completely whiffed on the hire and then put himself, the school and the fanbase in a bad contract we couldn't get out of. He was apparently ignoring some good football minds inside the AD this past year about the current program on top of it.

I said when Asherror was hired this was too big a job for a never been head coach,let alone in the B10 East.
Not hiring,Schiano,Narduzzi or Fleck was a HUGE mistake that RU is now paying for, in alot of ways.

Our 25-person, 7 parking tag (2 Scarlet, 5 Yellow) ticket group (Sections 105, 104, 103) that started as 4 persons in the early 90’s to the 25 persons at the peak of Schiano era has dwindled in 2019 to 2 cheapest seats and no parking tags. Of our peak 25 person group, only 2 were Rutgers alumni. Everyone was either a NJ native and/or resident, proud to have something to root for. Since Schiano left there has been a complete disconnect between prices and the product and results and the idea that things were getting better. The ticket office’s direction of Current Giving over consecutive years of buying tickets and parking tags soured everyone. That business model may make sense to the decision makers who do not pay for their own tickets and parking tags, but not to the NJ folks who actually pony up their money and understand we are not Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State. And the sense of buying seats in sections requiring additional giving and two minutes into the games seeing the hordes of cheap ticket buyers descend on our sections only hammered home the fact that we were suckers.
Someday we will have leadership and decision makers in-place to make the commitment needed to compete and win in the Big Ten, not just participate. You need to hire the right coaches, drop the provincial NJ recruiting paradigm, and do things that build the fan base rather than have it question its own sanity.
That said ... go Rutgers.

Al Golden, Mario Cristobal and PJ Fleck all had strong interest in coming here. All 3 are better than Ash (cannot believe I am typing that) all 3 damn well can recruit circles around him. I highly doubt all 3 required a 7 year guaranteed contract.

Oh, and all 3 were HCs previously and knew NJ previously. 2 of the 3 had worked at Rutgers already.

So yes, Hobbs will get plenty of shit from me because he doesn't know football at all and completely whiffed on the hire and then put himself, the school and the fanbase in a bad contract we couldn't get out of. He was apparently ignoring some good football minds inside the AD this past year about the current program on top of it.
1. Cristobal- he turned us down. His wife and her hot friends thought NJ was shit. His first tour as a coach at FIU (or was it FAU?) was a disaster. So that dog won't hunt, unless you mean he was interested after Flood was fired. You got backup on this?
2. Golden--you been talking with @RUaMoose ? Those banner planes over da U's stadium speak volumes. He isn't even an OL coach at Alabama. No thanks.
3. PJ?- never heard he was interested. And sorry, I would not want his antics. Sure, in hindsight, we could suffer his antics if he did better than Ash. But keeping Flood may have been better than hiring Ash.

Next coach, we need to aim higher and hit it out of the park.

And I call BS on "Hobbs does not know football." That is such a bogeyman. It ain't rocket science. Me and @rutgersguy1 could pick a coach by just studying the data that is out there and following the coaching carousel. You think that Hobbs does not consult with Marco Battaglia on things? Do you think he makes decisions in a vacuum?

ADVERTISEMENT