ADVERTISEMENT

Number of 2019 season tickets

I was optimistic and thought Mehringer was going to be a spark plug for recruiting and energizing the players, but it did not take long to figure out that his lack of experience at the P5 level was a major Achilles heel. On top of that, he did not have the experience, hindsight or foresight to realize that forcing a pro-style QB (who was not a world beater to begin with, but serviceable) into his system was a really bad move. And Ash apparently had absolutely no clue that what Merhringer was doing was going to fail. Oddly, however, Ash recognized in practice that Gio had a better skill set for Mehringer's offense.

I recognized Gio's potential in Feb. 2016 by a review of his HS film.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/gio-the-dual-threat-qb.74153/

Maybe if Ash had done the same and worked on developing Gio earlier in Spring 2016, just maybe he would developed a little better as a starting QB. But Ash had said that he did not look at any player's past film, either 2015 film at Rutgers (and probably HS film) to get a sense for what their capabilities were.

The guy just seems to have some rigid, formulaic ways of doing things, and does not deviate from them. Sometimes you have to deviate from internal playbook and take risks to succeed. But risk-taking is not something Ash does.

I was sold on the Ash hire - I was hoping for a Schiano-like redux. Young DC with some pedigree, prior experience facing conference offenses, a big flashy ring to wave around on the recruiting trail.... just spend some money on a rockstar OC to take care of that side of the ball while he focused on building up the defense, and we'd be in business.

Then.... we didn't get that second part at all.

Even going big on the risk/reward with Mehringer, there was also no staid hand on the offensive side with prior playcalling experience as an "in case of emergency break glass" option, either. It was all neophytes - mostly guys who had never coached at that level in that capacity before, assistants promoted up to be the head guy at their position. It was the equivalent of a starting roster filled with freshmen, and they were completely out of their depth.... and Ash had no life preservers for them, because he had zero background on offense.

When the staff was finalized was pretty much when I started doubting... but the recruiting was still good with that flashy ring, and big talk, so I waited for the season to start. I traveled to see the Washington game.... and most glimmers of hope were extinguished. By the end of that season, I felt Ash had missed what small window he had to succeed here, and that he'd be gone by 2020.

For your perusal:

8H16cD9.jpg

Our 25-person, 7 parking tag (2 Scarlet, 5 Yellow) ticket group (Sections 105, 104, 103) that started as 4 persons in the early 90’s to the 25 persons at the peak of Schiano era has dwindled in 2019 to 2 cheapest seats and no parking tags. Of our peak 25 person group, only 2 were Rutgers alumni. Everyone was either a NJ native and/or resident, proud to have something to root for. Since Schiano left there has been a complete disconnect between prices and the product and results and the idea that things were getting better. The ticket office’s direction of Current Giving over consecutive years of buying tickets and parking tags soured everyone. That business model may make sense to the decision makers who do not pay for their own tickets and parking tags, but not to the NJ folks who actually pony up their money and understand we are not Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State. And the sense of buying seats in sections requiring additional giving and two minutes into the games seeing the hordes of cheap ticket buyers descend on our sections only hammered home the fact that we were suckers.
Someday we will have leadership and decision makers in-place to make the commitment needed to compete and win in the Big Ten, not just participate. You need to hire the right coaches, drop the provincial NJ recruiting paradigm, and do things that build the fan base rather than have it question its own sanity.
That said ... go Rutgers.

This. And how some knucklehead Posters on this Board said we will only drop 2k-3k season ticketholders this upcoming season is beyond mind boggling.
Start anew with a new Staff in 2020 hopefully.

One post in the thread made me really LOL and jenniferlawrenceyeahokay.gif.

I’ll let you guys figure out which one.

For your perusal:

8H16cD9.jpg

Total BS news. Tickets distributed [ reported} are meaningless.
24,400 actual fans were the average at games in HPSS in 2017. We will see actual 2018 shortly. Your projectory is unfortunately true. Will be back at pre 2006 levels this season.
Will rebound when the RU Administration does the right thing for the Football program.

Total BS news. Tickets distributed [ reported} are meaningless.
24,400 actual fans were the average at games in HPSS in 2017. We will see actual 2018 shortly. Your projectory is unfortunately true. Will be back at pre 2006 levels this season.
Will rebound when the RU Administration does the right thing for the Football program.

We've been at pre-2006 levels for two years already... well, we've been lower than any time since 2006 at least.

Thanks. When I was reading that thread I did not think it was this bad. I was actually a little surprised at how many were still renewing. This puts it in better perspective.

Me too. I would have guessed 20-25 percent based on that thread. 46 is shocking

How is Hobbs going to spin it this year on the 150th anniversary. Last year it was the Yankee stadium game. This year, I have no idea what the hell he is going to say.
2015 - 31,168
2016 - 28,478
2017 - 23,812
2018 - 22,337
2019 - ?????
I would’ve said less than 1% given the major state universities becoming regular home opponents. Say we lose 20k season ticket holders in 4 years. That’s like $10m a year. This is an epic f up.

$10million a year lost is a gross understatement for 20,000 lost season tickethoders. It’s a lot more than $500 per ticketholder. With lost ticket revenue, seat gift donations, Parking, Concession sales, Donations to the Program it has to be closer to $1000 per season ticket sold. Looking at $20 million lost per year with the base dropping by 20,000. OMG :cry:

$10million a year lost is a gross understatement for 20,000 lost season tickethoders. It’s a lot more than $500 per ticketholder. With lost ticket revenue, seat gift donations, Parking, Concession sales, Donations to the Program it has to be closer to $1000 per season ticket sold. Looking at $20 million lost per year with the base dropping by 20,000. OMG :cry:

But yeah, it was too big a financial cross to bear to eat Ash's contract and stanch the bleeding. [pfftt]

There is a financial impact from people cutting their ticket total, and another that is impossible to measure right now of people downgrading their tickets.

In my case I cut from 4 tickets to 2 which sounds simply like a 50% cut, but I also downgraded my tickets from 40 yard line to end zone to minimize the ticket price and seat donation, so I spent $1090 instead of $2985 (63.5% less).

The worst part about the drop is that those tickets aren't coming back at nearly the same rate that they were lost. Years of progress have been eroded and it's not being rebuilt short of a miracle.
yet Roy Hobbs just dosent get it..about keeping Asherror.

Also, that's 46% of people that care enough to take the time to read and post on a Rutgers message board, ie. the hardcore fans.

yet Roy Hobbs just dosent get it..about keeping Asherror.
Actually this problem goes all the way back to the hiring of Julie. I believe that we had the Assistant AD of Whisky as a finalist, someone who worked closely with Alvarez and understood how to run a P5 football program. Yet somehow we end up with two AD's with no experience running a football program or evaluating a football coach. This is how we got here.

There are only two real choices with our results. Disgruntled or disinterested.
There are more. I am not disgruntled or disinterested.
I am actually interested to see how the season turns out. If it turns out well, then great. If it does not turn out well, will be interested to see if Hobbs cans Ash. If the latter happens, and there is no canned Ash, I may become disinterested for 2020.

There are more. I am not disgruntled or disinterested.
I am actually interested to see how the season turns out. If it turns out well, then great. If it does not turn out well, will be interested to see if Hobbs cans Ash. If the latter happens, and there is no canned Ash, I may become disinterested for 2020.

There's also the head in the sand fans. Fans are whiney when team goes 1-11? SMH to that logic.

Renewed today. Down from a high of 12 in 2012 to 8 last year to 5.

Interesting conversation with the ticket rep. They finally got back to me after 4 messages! I asked Jack why it took so long to get back and if they were busy? To be told not busy at all just don't have anyone left to answer the phone and return calls.

Can't make this up if I tried.

Had 4 in 2017, down to 2 in 2018. My son will be a senior at RU next year, so keeping them for another year.

Renewed today. Down from a high of 12 in 2012 to 8 last year to 5.

Interesting conversation with the ticket rep. They finally got back to me after 4 messages! I asked Jack why it took so long to get back and if they were busy? To be told not busy at all just don't have anyone left to answer the phone and return calls.

Can't make this up if I tried.

On the website it said ‘phone sales until 9pm’. I tried to call after work a few times; my calls went directly to voicemail (1-866-GORU).

Joe P.

On the website it said ‘phone sales until 9pm’. I tried to call after work a few times; my calls went directly to voicemail (1-866-GORU).

Joe P.
I left 2 messages on Friday. One to my reps number and one to the main number. Left 2 messages today and replied to a twitter post that was begging people to renew. I am thinking the only reason I received a return call is because of my twitter post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT