ADVERTISEMENT

Number of 2019 season tickets

Sure it does. You get a point for every year you've been a season ticket holder. I've had tickets for 32 years, I get 32 points.

As for parking - if you park in a premium lot then you have to pay the annual buy-in fee ("donation"). That number becomes part of your lifetime giving total, for which you also get points (1 per $1000).
If you want to park in a premium lot, you just buy passes on the secondary market for barely above face. Been doing it for years.

I don't have time for all that. It's worth the $500 bucks for me to just get them in an envelope at the beginning of the year.
It does take some work, mostly because sources dry up (since they bail on tickets like many on the board). For the first 4-5 years of the club section, I had a bunch sources and essentially did club tickets and brown or scarlet parking every game (on average for barely over face). Last season, I was down to just 2 sources, but losing creates aggravation so more folks make their tickets available.

Season ticket sales of 11,000?
giphy.gif

Sure it does. You get a point for every year you've been a season ticket holder. I've had tickets for 32 years, I get 32 points.

As for parking - if you park in a premium lot then you have to pay the annual buy-in fee ("donation"). That number becomes part of your lifetime giving total, for which you also get points (1 per $1000).
Should someone with a 20-ticket group get the same number of Consecutive year points as a 4-ticket group?

Should someone with a 20-ticket group get the same number of Consecutive year points as a 4-ticket group?

You get points-in-year for the number of tickets you purchase. It's two different metrics - consecutive years of purchase (football and/or basketball) and number of tickets in the current year.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You get points-in-year for the number of tickets you purchase. It's two different metrics - consecutive years of purchase (football and/or basketball) and number of tickets in the current year.
Exactly what I said. In the example I gave, a 20-ticket group only benefits in the current year. Over 20 years they spend far more money than a 4-ticket group. It should count for more than the current year when it comes to Priority Points.

Or maybe people who purchase season tickets do so because they don't turn their back on their alma mater or the team when things get bad. And maybe those who don't buy tickets so that "you" can "teach" the administration a lesson are like little kids who just take your ball and go home. You see how that works? Did you read @Doctor Worm 's post above, or is reading optional? Maybe people should just let people do what suits them and not cast judgment or aspersions on people who behave differently.

You want to punish yourself going 2-10 and buying the season tickets to watch it first hand, be my guest.

Exactly what I said. In the example I gave, a 20-ticket group only benefits in the current year. Over 20 years they spend far more money than a 4-ticket group. It should count for more than the current year when it comes to Priority Points.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Interesting. Your previous post seemed to indicate that you thought fans should be rewarded more for the loyalty of buying tickets over the loyalty of donating money. But now you seem to be advocating that the points should be awarded based on how much you spend.

There are plenty of ways they can allocate priority points. I think the current method, does a pretty good job balancing rewards for longevity of buying tickets, longevity of donating, number of tickets purchased and amount donated.

Reactions: Leonard23
I have no way of knowing,but I'm sure a couple of people would,when the membership of The TD Club was at it's all-time high, were the Season ticket holders also at it's all-time high? If so, then that would be a good indication of the interest in the football program.

I had 4 season tickets for 8 years, and would beg, borrow and steal to get off from work on Saturdays to attend. Now retired for 4 years, and able to make any game, we just pick and choose what games we'd like to go to, based on a lot of factors. Part of me misses the days of planning our tailgates and knowing we'll meet up with people, but the consent losing and mostly non competitiveness has worn all of us down. I didn't want my busy kids giving up half their weekend out of guilt because of the money I spent on season tickets.Now when there's a game we're all excited about, we search the internet, and get the best seats we can and have a great time .I really miss the days of Greg, and I'm sorry if that offends anyone for mentioning his name. Modern day Rutgers Football starts and ends with Schiano in my mind.

Last edited:
Wow JMU might sell more season tix this year than RU. :grimace:

The have a big stadium that probably is the same size as HPSS. They also recently had the best up and coming non P5 coach in the country in Mike Houston who won a NC there a couple years ago and had them top 10 the last 4 years in FBS....

I have screamed from the mountaintops of my desire to hire their former coach Mike Houston who just took the ECU job. He is still attainable and would be the ultimate hire for RU...

The have a big stadium that probably is the same size as HPSS. They also recently had the best up and coming non P5 coach in the country in Mike Houston who won a NC there a couple years ago and had them top 10 the last 4 years in FBS....

I have screamed from the mountaintops of my desire to hire their former coach Mike Houston who just took the ECU job. He is still attainable and would be the ultimate hire for RU...
Oh please that, "The have a big stadium that probably is the same size as HPSS." Bridgeforth Stadium capacity is 24,877, whereas HPSS is 52,454.

The glee expressed by many posters in this thread is barely disguised.

Brings to mind a quote from Tim McCarver which I think applies to RU fans as well. "New York fans desperately want their team to succeed. If that is impossible, the next best thing is for the team to fail miserably."

I had 4 season tickets for 8 years, and would beg, borrow and steal to get off from work on Saturdays to attend. Now retired for 4 years, and able to make any game, we just pick and choose what games we'd like to go to, based on a lot of factors. Part of me misses the days of planning our tailgates and knowing we'll meet up with people, but the consent losing and mostly none competitiveness has worn all of us down. I didn't want my busy kids giving up half their weekend out of guilt because of the money I spent on season tickets.Now when there's a game we're all excited about, we search the internet, and get the best seats we can and have a great time .I really miss the days of Greg, and I'm sorry if that offends anyone for mentioning his name. Modern day Rutgers Football starts and ends with Schiano in my mind.
Great post. I'm sure many feel the same way.

They have a big stadium for FCS, but it’s half the size of HPSS. They sell it out, though. I’d love to have Mike Houston here but he comes across as one of those proud southern boys who wouldn’t move to Yankeeland on principle. And RU probably wouldn’t want to pay him much more than EZU is. I see him ending up at UNC or Tenn someday.

Oh please that, "The have a big stadium that probably is the same size as HPSS." Bridgeforth Stadium capacity is 24,877, whereas HPSS is 52,454.
I just drove past JMU a month ago and saw their stadium first hand. Didn’t look up the capacity but the stands are as tall as hpss certainly when facing the road. My mistake, still I guarantee there’s more interest there than Rutgers football at this point so my point still remains

I just drove past JMU a month ago and saw their stadium first hand. Didn’t look up the capacity but the stands are as tall as hpss certainly when facing the road. My mistake, still I guarantee there’s more interest there than Rutgers football at this point so my point still remains

Appearances can be deceiving. From the parking lot our lower bowl is below ground level.

They have a big stadium for FCS, but it’s half the size of HPSS. They sell it out, though. I’d love to have Mike Houston here but he comes across as one of those proud southern boys who wouldn’t move to Yankeeland on principle. And RU probably wouldn’t want to pay him much more than EZU is. I see him ending up at UNC or Tenn someday.
Nah. JMU's attendance is excellent for FCS but they don't sell out most games:

2018: 20,911 (84% of capacity)
2017: 21,724 (87% of capacity)
2016: 19,845 (80% of capacity)
2015: 19,498 (78% of capacity)
2014: 19,816 (80% of capacity)
2013: 21,011 (84% of capacity)

IMO there is no point to buying RU season tickets anymore since there is essentially little to no demand for any games so you can always get tickets and parking passes for below face value. I used to have multiple seats and then it became impossible to find any casual fans including alumni to attend nor could i resell them for any meaningful amount so I would end up eating the cost...but that ship has sailed. Now, I go to as many games as I like (which has been decreasing every year due to lack of interest) and save a ton of money. I can also sit wherever I want so I am able to sit with different groups of friends each game with zero issue since the attendance is so poor. If there aren't a ton of cheap tickets anymore since no one is buying season tickets, I guess I won't be attending much longer. I will watch the games on TV and then turn them off in 2nd when are down 21+ points and get on with my day without wasting a good part of it.

Long story short, I'm not going to be exploited by the university as they continue to make awful/short sighted decisions regarding the football program only to have their most loyal fans endure the most pain and subsidize the costs. The fact that ticket sales have been so poor and they are increasing costs and decreasing the experience is a huge slap in the face to everyone.

Last edited:
Nah. JMU's attendance is excellent for FCS but they don't sell out most games:

2018: 20,911 (84% of capacity)
2017: 21,724 (87% of capacity)
2016: 19,845 (80% of capacity)
2015: 19,498 (78% of capacity)
2014: 19,816 (80% of capacity)
2013: 21,011 (84% of capacity)

They only had 5 regular season home games last year and they sold out 3 of them, so they're not selling out every game, but 3/5 = "most". If the numbers above include playoff games, that drags the average wayyy down. As much as I find the FCS playoffs fun to watch, playoff attendance is not good.

IMO there is no point to buying RU season tickets anymore since there is essentially little to no demand for any games so you can always get tickets and parking passes for below face value. I used to have multiple seats and then it became impossible to find any casual fans including alumni to attend nor could i resell them for any meaningful amount so I would end up eating the cost...but that ship has sailed. Now, I go to as many games as I like (which has been decreasing every year due to lack of interest) and save a ton of money. I can also sit wherever I want so I am able to sit with different groups of friends each game with zero issue since the attendance is so poor. If there aren't a ton of cheap tickets anymore since no one is buying season tickets, I guess I won't be attending much longer. I will watch the games on TV and then turn them off in 2nd when are down 21+ points and get on with my day without wasting a good part of it.

Long story short, I'm not going to be exploited by the university as they continue to make awful/short sighted decisions regarding the football program only to have their most loyal fans endure the most pain and subsidize the costs. The fact that ticket sales have been so poor and they are increasing costs and decreasing the experience is a huge slap in the face to everyone.
Thanks for sharing from the heart. Sad is the best description. I find myself taking the $50 on the extra ticket I used to eat and playing one of the national games each weekend on FanDuel. A lot more interesting and fun way to watch college football. $$$$

As an alumni of JMU I can tell you the reason why the stadium looks so tall from the highway is because that one visible side is about 3 times taller than the other side. JMU football sucked when I was there so I couldn’t give a rats ass about it.

What pains me to hear is that JMU has better attendance and a culture more committed to football than Rutgers with more students showing up to the game. That truly is a sad, sad thing, and at this point I have no doubt it’s true. I was a season ticket holder at Rutgers with my Dad for many years, he drove 700 miles both ways to go to most games. Now we go to one or two a year and sit wherever we want for all the same reasons everyone else has listed above. I didn’t realize there were this many others who have weighed what they’ve witnessed the last few years in their minds and came to the same conclusion we did.

I'm probably going this route soon if things don't change. I drive up from Cherry Hill for every game and it's getting old. Got my tix when the addition opened and have had 4 every year since. It's just hard to justify anymore. Son's graduated, married with a kid, doesn't go anymore, wife is a champ but I know there's places she'd rather be. It's gonna be just me soon.

I mean what a concept, put a crappy team on the field and people don't show up. Rutgers proved this before Schiano showed up. But somehow they have to relearn this. Disheartening.

Interesting. Your previous post seemed to indicate that you thought fans should be rewarded more for the loyalty of buying tickets over the loyalty of donating money. But now you seem to be advocating that the points should be awarded based on how much you spend.

There are plenty of ways they can allocate priority points. I think the current method, does a pretty good job balancing rewards for longevity of buying tickets, longevity of donating, number of tickets purchased and amount donated.
Many loyal long term fans, for whatever reason (and there are plenty of them), do not have the wherewithal to make donations on top of the price of the tickets and parking tags. I’ll stand by the assertion that long term ticket and parking tag purchasers are most important to the program. An empty stadium and tailgate lots are a bad look.

Many loyal long term fans, for whatever reason (and there are plenty of them), do not have the wherewithal to make donations on top of the price of the tickets and parking tags. I’ll stand by the assertion that long term ticket and parking tag purchasers are most important to the program. An empty stadium and tailgate lots are a bad look.

That's my point. Rutgers provides rewards for long-term fans, by giving them thousands of dollars worth of priority points every year (as an example for a fan who has held tickets for more than 10 years). Those points reward you for being a consistent fan, not for spending more money. You don't have to buy the most expensive seats in the stadium to earn those points, or buy more seats or concessions, parking, or anything else. You just need to be a loyal season ticket holder to get those points.

You are the one who said that fans who spend more should get more points. Linking those loyalty points to the amount of money you spend flies in the face of rewarding fans for loyalty even if they don't have the financial resources to spend lots of money. There are other parts of the priority point program that reward fans for providing financial support. I don't think it is necessary to link the loyalty portion of the program to financial support too.

That's my point. Rutgers provides rewards for long-term fans, by giving them thousands of dollars worth of priority points every year (as an example for a fan who has held tickets for more than 10 years). Those points reward you for being a consistent fan, not for spending more money. You don't have to buy the most expensive seats in the stadium to earn those points, or buy more seats or concessions, parking, or anything else. You just need to be a loyal season ticket holder to get those points.

You are the one who said that fans who spend more should get more points. Linking those loyalty points to the amount of money you spend flies in the face of rewarding fans for loyalty even if they don't have the financial resources to spend lots of money. There are other parts of the priority point program that reward fans for providing financial support. I don't think it is necessary to link the loyalty portion of the program to financial support too.

I feel like you type this, or very similar, explanation in a post practically every year in a thread discussing/re-hashing the PP program. I hope you're just keeping it saved at this point for the ease of copy-paste.

The glee expressed by many posters in this thread is barely disguised.

Brings to mind a quote from Tim McCarver which I think applies to RU fans as well. "New York fans desperately want their team to succeed. If that is impossible, the next best thing is for the team to fail miserably."

I'm not even sure NJ folks want the success. The relish in misery.

To those who have chosen not to renew: That is your unquestioned right. You are a customer and have no obligation of loyalty. It must be earned, and it has not been. You need not defend your decision, nor seek vindication for it.

HOWEVER... I respectfully ask that you refrain from gloating over the wisdom of your decision, and stop reminding the rest of us what chumps we are. From a purely economic standpoint, we probably are chumps. We get that. And we don't care.
I was thinking about what you said.

We continuing season ticket holders might be chumps for sitting and watching a poor product on the field. Although in our crew's case, I'd argue that, for our tailgate crew, tailgating with each other makes it completely worth both the time and expense, or we wouldn't do it.

But I disagree about being probably being chumps from a purely economic standpoint. At least for many of us.

Sure, if the cost of your season tickets is economically significant to you, and the game result or product on the field is all that matters to you, then you probably ought to think twice or three times about purchasing them, even when the team is winning. If that were the case for me, I would probably watch from home myself.

But for many of us, it's just too inexpensive a form of entertainment to matter. My two season tickets, with parking and seat-cushions, plus my tailgate costs for the season, are just not a significant expense for me. I live 15 minutes from the field, so no travel time lost there. When a game becomes non-competitive, we leave. So there's no time lost there either.

So... I get to have a great time outdoors with great friends that I love. I get to enjoy some great food and drinks. I get to support my team when they're down and need that support the most. And I get to do all that at an expense that's insignificant to me.

If that's someone's idea of being a chump, then I guess I'm one happy chump. :)

I was thinking about what you said.

We continuing season ticket holders might be chumps for sitting and watching a poor product on the field. Although in our crew's case, I'd argue that, for our tailgate crew, tailgating with each other makes it completely worth both the time and expense, or we wouldn't do it.

But I disagree about being probably being chumps from a purely economic standpoint. At least for many of us.

Sure, if the cost of your season tickets is economically significant to you, and the game result or product on the field is all that matters to you, then you probably ought to think twice or three times about purchasing them, even when the team is winning. If that were the case for me, I would probably watch from home myself.

But for many of us, it's just too inexpensive a form of entertainment to matter. My two season tickets, with parking and seat-cushions, plus my tailgate costs for the season, are just not a significant expense for me. I live 15 minutes from the field, so no travel time lost there. When a game becomes non-competitive, we leave. So there's no time lost there either.

So... I get to have a great time outdoors with great friends that I love. I get to enjoy some great food and drinks. I get to support my team when they're down and need that support the most. And I get to do all that at an expense that's insignificant to me.

If that's someone's idea of being a chump, then I guess I'm one happy chump. :)
All very good points.
It's a personal choice. People have their own reasons for making their choices. It is bad form to project your choice and your reasons on to others. Your reasons and your choice are not necessarily applicable to others Just because you are unhappy, that does not mean others have to share your misery.

You’re either an idiot or masochist if you purchase RU football season tickets at this stage in the program. And if you’re a real “fan” you don’t buy tickets so that the administration can see how bad things really are and can Ash after 2019.
Interesting viewpoint you have there. I'm an idiot, a masochist, and a bad fan, eh? [roll]

Kind of ironic viewpoint considering that you're choosing to spend your time trying, and failing, to spread the misery you apparently experience over a form of entertainment that nobody's forcing you to watch. You sure we're the masochists here?

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
ADVERTISEMENT