ADVERTISEMENT

O.T.-July 23,1966-Napoleon XIV

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
50 years ago today,radio stations around the country began playing a novelty song called "They're Coming To Take Me Away,Ha-Ha" ,by a guy billing himself as Napoleon XIV.The song dealt with a very disturbed guy attempting to handle a breakup.

Within 3 weeks,the song soared to No.3 on Billboard before it the fan.

Pressure from mental health organizations caused most radio stations to drop the immediately,causing it to set the still standing record of falling the most places in the Top 40 within one week,to No.37.

In our area,both WMCA and WABC banned it even before the drop.WMCA had pickets and had a banner protesting their action flown over its studios.

I just played it,opening up the windows and turned up the volume to get a reaction from the gang working on finishing building a house next door.After hearing that,maybe Trump won't need to build a wall.

Pressure from mental health organizations caused most radio stations to drop the immediately,causing it to set the still standing record of falling the most places in the Top 40 within one week,to No.37.

In our area,both WMCA and WABC banned it even before the drop.WMCA had pickets and had a banner protesting their action flown over its studios.
One of my favorite novelty songs, first heard on Dr. Demento's show. I did not realize that people and organizations actually protested against a song. And that radio stations actually caved in to the pressure.

50 years ago today,radio stations around the country began playing a novelty song called "They're Coming To Take Me Away,Ha-Ha" ,by a guy billing himself as Napoleon XIV.The song dealt with a very disturbed guy attempting to handle a breakup.

Within 3 weeks,the song soared to No.3 on Billboard before it the fan.

I just played it,opening up the windows and turned up the volume to get a reaction from the gang working on finishing building a house next door.After hearing that,maybe Trump won't need to build a wall.

The flip side ( B) ....was the song backwards.

MO...OM

One of my favorite novelty songs, first heard on Dr. Demento's show. I did not realize that people and organizations actually protested against a song. And that radio stations actually caved in to the pressure.
Same here - used to listen to Dr. Demento regularly as a teenager and never knew anything about the history of the song. One of my favorite of those goofy songs was Big Fat Irving - the 142nd fastest gun in the west (he was looking for 143).

DJSpanky....if you think they caved into pressure back then, think about now!

I'd love to hear what people would say had they heard the song on the radio now.

Same here - used to listen to Dr. Demento regularly as a teenager and never knew anything about the history of the song. One of my favorite of those goofy songs was Big Fat Irving - the 142nd fastest gun in the west (he was looking for 143).
Even on the range he used two sets of dishes!

Reactions: RU848789
Yep, I remember that one. A couple others that come to mind are Junk Food Junkie and Dead Puppies.

Reactions: RU848789

Used to listen to Dr. D. Spoke to him (he was based in LA) in the 70's,,,,since he introduced Weird Al (on Accordion)/ I played the big blues squeezebox.

MO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT