ADVERTISEMENT

Objective Take on Every Pass Attempt By Gavin Wimsatt With Pictures

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Receivers catching the ball would have helped his stats. He could have thrown 5 passes better, including the INT. If Gavin stays and stays healthy and the receivers catch the ball, the future can be bright. Who steps up after Cruickshank, Jones, Ryan and Langan leave is a big question, or RU needs to hit the portal hard for WRs and TEs?

Summary:
18 passing attempts (one did not count because of penalty, so not the official stat line)
5 bad passes.
2 throwaways
6 catchable balls not caught/dropped

I may have missed one or two, but this is substantially complete. You can quibble with a pass or two as to whether it was catchable.

For anyone who mocked or otherwise put down Gavin's performance yesterday, you may want to reconsider? Matt Millen was singing his praises all day long. He said that he liked this kid, and he saw a talented QB emerging. Imagine that--Matt Millen.

• 3rd & 9 at RUTG 26​

(15:00 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Sean Ryan for 18 yds to the Rutgr 44 for a 1ST down
NICE PASS BY WIMSATT 1/1

SODKRVg.jpg

• 3rd & 5 at RUTG 49​

(15:00 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Johnny Langan for 13 yds to the Minn 38 for a 1ST down

ANOTHER NICE PASS FOR FIRST DOWN 2/2

tn7Y4hb.jpg

• 2nd & 11 at MINN 39​

(15:00 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt pass incomplete
DEEP PASS ATTEMPT, THROWAWAY, NOT OPEN: 2/3

tIofcZd.jpg

• 3rd & 9 at RUTG 9​

(14:12 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt pass incomplete
HIGH TO LANGAN (BAD PASS) 2/4

1fTGc6u.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 25​

(5:14 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt pass incomplete

CATCHABLE BALL TO LONG- MILLEN SAID CATCHABLE 2/5
gDainY2.jpg

• 3rd & 9 at RUTG 26​

(5:14 - 2nd) WIMSATT, Gavin pass to the left complete for 7 yards to LONG, Chris caught at the RUT27 and advanced to the RUT33 (WALLEY, Justin). PENALTY UMN Holding on SMITH, Terell enforced 10 yards from the RUT26 to the RUT36 and results in automatic 1ST DOWN [SG]. NO PLAY (replay the down).

NICE PASS TO LONG, SHORT OF 1ST DOWN BUT PENALTY GIVE RU 1ST DOWN 3/6

10AQL3z.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 36​

LOOKED LIKE RYAN AND GAVIN NOT ON SAME PAGE 3/7

knzyYIx.jpg

• 2nd & 10 at RUTG 36​

(5:14 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Chris Long for 9 yds to the Rutgers 45

GOOD PASS 4/8
udwirYu.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 15​

(2:01 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt pass incomplete
PASS JUST OUT OF REACH FOR DREMEL 4/9
cHSOK9J.jpg

• 2nd & 5 at RUTG 25​

(9:51 - 3rd) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Sean Ryan for 11 yds to the Rutgr 36 for a 1ST down
NICE PASS -MILLEN SAYS "PERFECT" 5/10

aAh4wc4.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 36​

(9:51 - 3rd) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Sean Ryan for 12 yds to the Rutgr 48 for a 1ST down

COMMENTATOR SAYS PERFECTLY THROWN LOW TO RYAN FOR 1ST DOWN 6/11

sPa8SoT.jpg

• 1st & 15 at RUTG 43​

(9:51 - 3rd) Gavin Wimsatt pass incomplete
THROWAWAY BY GAVE- MILLEN CALLS IT A SMART PLAY- NOBODY OPEN (NO PICTURE NEEDED) 6/12

• 2nd & 15 at RUTG 43​

PERFECTLY THROWN PASS FOR FIRST DOWN, DROPPED BY ALAIMO 6/13

4Z772SE.jpg

• 3rd & 15 at RUTG 43​

WHILE NOT PERFECT, A CATCHABLE BALL A LITTLE BEHIND LONG- MILLEN SAID THAT WAS VERY CATCHABLE 6/14

OBfHnIF.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 20​

(2:29 - 3rd) Gavin Wimsatt pass incomplete

BAD PASS SAILED HIGH TO CRUICKSHANK 6/15

EMvburJ.jpg

• 2nd & 10 at RUTG 20​

(2:29 - 3rd) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Sean Ryan for 5 yds to the Rutgr 25

COMPLETION 7/16

8dJti7D.jpg

• 3rd & 5 at RUTG 25​

BAD PASS ON SHORT DUMPOFF OT MONANGAI UNDER PRESSURE 7/17

YqTBS46.jpg

BAD PASS AND INT BY GAVIN 7/18

4QGLfgk.jpg

Thanks for putting this together!

I think the future can be bright if Wimsatt keeps growing and learning, but just as important the coaches need to able to put together a good OL, WRs, and RBs too.

Reactions: RUScrew85
5 bad passes out of 18 is not good at this level of football. That’s 28% of his throws are interceptable or lost play territory.

I think Gavin has a ton of talent. And his good throws are some of the best I’ve seen from a RU QB in a very long time. He can sling it at a totally different level.

but he has to improve his accuracy AND the decision making. The latter is expected. The former is the one I’m worried about.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
He was not good, but showed some poise in the pocket and flashed some talent. Not good to get a concussion in your first game. So much for not receiving damage while giving yourself up.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersNo1
He was not good. You guys are wearing scarlet glasses and keep saying he’s a frosh.
MJ Morris is a true frosh too and probably even younger than GW. He bailed Wolfpacks out and saved their season with 300+ yards and 3 TDs this past Thursday.

Compare the receivers he's dealing with and the OL to previous years.

Remember the Savage had Tim Brown and Sanu...Dodd and Nova had Sanu as well

Reactions: Kbee3 and RW90
He was not good. You guys are wearing scarlet glasses and keep saying he’s a frosh.
MJ Morris is a true frosh too and probably even younger than GW. He bailed Wolfpacks out and saved their season with 300+ yards and 3 TDs this past Thursday.
How is the Wolfpack line and how are their recievers?

Receivers catching the ball would have helped his stats. He could have thrown 5 passes better, including the INT. If Gavin stays and stays healthy and the receivers catch the ball, the future can be bright. Who steps up after Cruickshank, Jones, Ryan and Langan leave is a big question, or RU needs to hit the portal hard for WRs and TEs?

Summary:
18 passing attempts (one did not count because of penalty, so not the official stat line)
5 bad passes.
2 throwaways

I may have missed one or two, but this is substantially complete. You can quibble with a pass or two as to whether it was catchable.

For anyone who mocked or otherwise put down Gavin's performance yesterday, you may want to reconsider? Matt Millen was singing his praises all day long. He said that he liked this kid, and he saw a talented QB emerging. Imagine that--Matt Millen.

• 3rd & 9 at RUTG 26​

(15:00 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Sean Ryan for 18 yds to the Rutgr 44 for a 1ST down
NICE PASS BY WIMSATT 1/1

SODKRVg.jpg

• 3rd & 5 at RUTG 49​

(15:00 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Johnny Langan for 13 yds to the Minn 38 for a 1ST down

tn7Y4hb.jpg

• 2nd & 11 at MINN 39​

tIofcZd.jpg

• 3rd & 9 at RUTG 9​

1fTGc6u.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 25​

gDainY2.jpg

• 3rd & 9 at RUTG 26​

(5:14 - 2nd) WIMSATT, Gavin pass to the left complete for 7 yards to LONG, Chris caught at the RUT27 and advanced to the RUT33 (WALLEY, Justin). PENALTY UMN Holding on SMITH, Terell enforced 10 yards from the RUT26 to the RUT36 and results in automatic 1ST DOWN [SG]. NO PLAY (replay the down).

10AQL3z.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 36​

knzyYIx.jpg

• 2nd & 10 at RUTG 36​

(5:14 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Chris Long for 9 yds to the Rutgers 45

GOOD PASS 4/8
udwirYu.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 15​

cHSOK9J.jpg

• 2nd & 5 at RUTG 25​

(9:51 - 3rd) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Sean Ryan for 11 yds to the Rutgr 36 for a 1ST down

aAh4wc4.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 36​

(9:51 - 3rd) Gavin Wimsatt pass complete to Sean Ryan for 12 yds to the Rutgr 48 for a 1ST down

sPa8SoT.jpg

• 1st & 15 at RUTG 43​

THROWAWAY BY GAVE- MILLEN CALLS IT A SMART PLAY- NOBODY OPEN (NO PICTURE NEEDED) 6/12

• 2nd & 15 at RUTG 43​

4Z772SE.jpg

• 3rd & 15 at RUTG 43​

WHILE NOT PERFECT, A CATCHABLE BALL A LITTLE BEHIND LONG- MILLEN SAID THAT WAS VERY CATCHABLE 6/14

OBfHnIF.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 20​

EMvburJ.jpg

• 2nd & 10 at RUTG 20​

COMPLETION 7/16

8dJti7D.jpg

• 3rd & 5 at RUTG 25​

YqTBS46.jpg

4QGLfgk.jpg
Great job putting this all together. But.....
😜

william-shatner-captain-kirk.gif

Summary:
5 bad passes.
2 throwaways

• 3rd & 9 at RUTG 26​

NICE PASS BY WIMSATT 1/1

SODKRVg.jpg

• 3rd & 5 at RUTG 49​

tn7Y4hb.jpg

• 2nd & 11 at MINN 39​

tIofcZd.jpg

• 3rd & 9 at RUTG 9​

1fTGc6u.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 25​

gDainY2.jpg

• 3rd & 9 at RUTG 26​

10AQL3z.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 36​

knzyYIx.jpg

• 2nd & 10 at RUTG 36​

GOOD PASS 4/8
udwirYu.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 15​

cHSOK9J.jpg

• 2nd & 5 at RUTG 25​

aAh4wc4.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 36​

sPa8SoT.jpg

• 1st & 15 at RUTG 43​

• 2nd & 15 at RUTG 43​

4Z772SE.jpg

• 3rd & 15 at RUTG 43​

OBfHnIF.jpg

• 1st & 10 at RUTG 20​

EMvburJ.jpg

• 2nd & 10 at RUTG 20​

COMPLETION 7/16

8dJti7D.jpg

• 3rd & 5 at RUTG 25​

YqTBS46.jpg

4QGLfgk.jpg
I thought he threw decently yesterday. Regardless of opinions, appreciate the effort to put this together.

In the second to last picture above look at the green in front of the RB. Good instinct and decision by Gavin. Not great execution

Reactions: William J. Leggett
That's not how the internet works!

FYI, watching the game, Wimsatt looked bad but not 100% lost like other current and past RU QBs. Perhaps there is hope?
Let’s be real here for a sec, if a lot of us were going to guess who the Trekkie was between you two it wouldn’t be @Knight Shift.

And whether it’s true or not that’s how you come across. Which is fine because everyone knows the Sheldon character is the star on “The Big Bang Theory” sitcom. He’s certainly my favorite. And you are too.🙂

I watched highlights of Sanu. Made at least 5 catches with one hand. Help the kid receivers.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
5 bad passes out of 18 is not good at this level of football. That’s 28% of his throws are interceptable or lost play territory.

I think Gavin has a ton of talent. And his good throws are some of the best I’ve seen from a RU QB in a very long time. He can sling it at a totally different level.

but he has to improve his accuracy AND the decision making. The latter is expected. The former is the one I’m worried about.
Ok, sure. He hadn't played in 8-9 weeks and had only 21 pass attempts this season on sporadic playing time.

My theorist that our receivers are just not used to the zip that Gavin puts in the ball. They should get better at catching those beautiful passes.
Hmmm, the new version of the Elway Cross maybe?

Agree with Shield and 16E above. Guys like Sanu and Carroo caught everything and that’s because they worked very hard at it. Someone from the current crop can step up if they work at their craft. But I also agree it can be tough to catch balls thrown with that much velocity and they need to turn up the machine and work on it.

Agree with Shield and 16E above. Guys like Sanu and Carroo caught everything and that’s because they worked very hard at it. Someone from the current crop can step up if they work at their craft. But I also agree it can be tough to catch balls thrown with that much velocity and they need to turn up the machine and work on it.
It's really hurting us that we don't have a Carroo, Sanu, or even a Bo Melton this year. I thought Taj Harris would be that guy.

There is so much work that needs to be done to be competitive in the B1G beyond just the QB position.
This. And if the team manages to do all that work, it'll be easier for any QB to have success and the coaching staff can point to that when recruiting QBs.

Why no runs? I did not watch the whole game he is supposed to be a dual threat.
On a few roll outs/throw aways, I feel like he should’ve just run for 3 yards so we are on schedule. I guess that’s the difference between 19 and 23 year old QB.

I thought he looked much improved. Accuracy was obviously not perfect, but was improved over his last game. His decision-making has improved some. Seems like he may be improving in his ability to read the D and react.

Two winnable games, although not likely wins at all, are Michigan State and MD. I was of the opinion that Vedral should've started in all our winnable games (including MN). But what I saw from Wimsatt was enough for me to revise and say that I'd probably start Wimsatt the rest of the season as long as he's healthy.

I'm not saying this because I think Vedral can't help win the two games - I think it's close to a wash, from a competitive standpoint. It now looks like Wimsatt can also help win them and looks less likely, than earlier in the season, to force stuff into coverage. And Wimsatt's the future (we hope) so might as well play him now and get him more game reps.

If the WRs can learn to catch the ball and learn to read the D and adjust their routes based on if there's a blitz or not, then Wimsatt can do some damage and we might win another game, maybe two (again, low odds for that, but it's possible).

Mostly, to have a chance, the OL has got to both run and pass block better. Otherwise, doesn't matter who plays QB, we're not winning any more games. Everybody points at the QB but it's the OL that will determine how the team does on O.

Speaking of WRs maybe it’s time for us to stop going for measurables and get guys who can catch the ball. For example, there’s a freshman at St Francis PA averaging like 9-10 catches per game. He probably doesn’t have the elite speed and the competition isn’t great but anyone catching the ball that often knows how to get open and probably doesn’t drop too many. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t end up at a P5 school next year.

Speaking of WRs maybe it’s time for us to stop going for measurables and get guys who can catch the ball. For example, there’s a freshman at St Francis PA averaging like 9-10 catches per game. He probably doesn’t have the elite speed and the competition isn’t great but anyone catching the ball that often knows how to get open and probably doesn’t drop too many. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t end up at a P5 school next year.
+1

Always been a hands first guy.

Its D1, should at least run a 4.6.

Ok, sure. He hadn't played in 8-9 weeks and had only 21 pass attempts this season on sporadic playing time.
Correct. Hence why the OC was fired… That guy $hit the bed regarding building a D1 offense and developing GW. He had NO PLAN.

The one time GS 1.0 would have helped with the micromanaging we have 2.0 giving him too much leash. SG should have been cut after the bowl game but honestly I think GS wanted to be sure and give SG a chance with a better OL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift

I thought about this a bit more and found this for NFL QBs. Top QBs are about 75-80% accurate, meaning 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 are not accurate.

Gavin threw 18 passes. 13/18 is 72.2%, and he is not in the NFL yet.😎

Where did you get 5 bad passes out of 18 is not good at this level of football?

sharp-screenshot.jpg

Reactions: mildone
Good analysis . Good thread
Hi Plum. Been liking your posts lately. I tried to not be overly optimistic or cheery about anything, but the receivers (except Ryan and Langan) were very disappointing.

What's your feeling on the season? Thought most had RU at 4-8 or 5-7, so perhaps the team is "on track". Yesterday was deflating, however.
I was more optimistic, thinking 6-6 at least, and the offense has been very disappointing. Stinker games will happen, and hoping yesterday was a our stinker game. Saturday against Michigan should be interesting.

I thought about this a bit more and found this for NFL QBs. Top QBs are about 75-80% accurate, meaning 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 are not accurate.

Gavin threw 18 passes. 13/18 is 72.2%, and he is not in the NFL yet.😎

Where did you get 5 bad passes out of 18 is not good at this level of football?

sharp-screenshot.jpg
If all the passes are 5-10 yards or swing passes like Morgan threw then you would expect a higher %.

We were throwing down the field cause this kid has the arm to throw it and the size to see it.

Thank you KS for your efforts. I would quibble with what some of those were deemed catchable. I was really impressed with his first two passes, some zing like we haven't seen in a while. Sometimes he needs to take a little off though, I hope he can learn to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT