ADVERTISEMENT

Objective Take on Every Pass Attempt By Gavin Wimsatt With Pictures

Nice summary - aligns well with what I've posted about Gavin's performance during and after the game. I'm actually excited to see what he can do, especially if we can get him some better weapons - and this season's experience will pay dividends next year.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Hi Plum. Been liking your posts lately. I tried to not be overly optimistic or cheery about anything, but the receivers (except Ryan and Langan) were very disappointing.

What's your feeling on the season? Thought most had RU at 4-8 or 5-7, so perhaps the team is "on track". Yesterday was deflating, however.
I was more optimistic, thinking 6-6 at least, and the offense has been very disappointing. Stinker games will happen, and hoping yesterday was a our stinker game. Saturday against Michigan should be interesting.
Hi knight . Yes, I had us I think at 5-7. But with NebrAska and MSU being down there was a clear path to 6-6. So I am disappointed we may not get bowl eligible.
I am happy with the defense . Not happy with the offense . The offense seems lifeless and pretty much every position group has disappointed. Gleeson was very bad in nebraska game and probably needed to go, but it is kinda looking like he might be the scapegoat for all of this.
Big picture is schiano is only in year 3 and it’s still early in the build . But how’s recruiting ? By the accounts here the recruiting is bad . That is troubling . He will get his time .but needs to recruit well and find a serviceable QB. We will see .
For the rest of 2022, I want to see us beat msu, be competitive with Michigan and/or Penn state, and then give Maryland a game. Give me some hope here.
Also, I am not in the “we need to see what we have in Gavin” camp.
he’s a true freshman . Most college quarterbacks are not good until later in their careers and sometimes at a different school. We aren’t going to know what we have in him this year

Wimsatt wasn’t the problem. We were not prepared to play without Brown. Not going to win too many games collecting only 20 yards on the ground. End of story.

Hi knight . Yes, I had us I think at 5-7. But with NebrAska and MSU being down there was a clear path to 6-6. So I am disappointed we may not get bowl eligible.
I am happy with the defense . Not happy with the offense . The offense seems lifeless and pretty much every position group has disappointed. Gleeson was very bad in nebraska game and probably needed to go, but it is kinda looking like he might be the scapegoat for all of this.
Big picture is schiano is only in year 3 and it’s still early in the build . But how’s recruiting ? By the accounts here the recruiting is bad . That is troubling . He will get his time .but needs to recruit well and find a serviceable QB. We will see .
For the rest of 2022, I want to see us beat msu, be competitive with Michigan and/or Penn state, and then give Maryland a game. Give me some hope here.
he’s a true freshman . Most college quarterbacks are not good until later in their careers and sometimes at a different school. We aren’t going to know what we have in him this year
I like most of this but please stop with the "true freshman" excuse. He showed up last year during game 1. Was at practice the rest of the year. Played in October. Hit the maximum 4 games to keep his red shirt. Practiced before the bowl and played in that bowl. He is a red shirt freshman as a fact and in reality. No need to hold him out any more but sounds like a concussion will.
You can't go into next year with another question mark/unknown. Start to work the plays around his talents and see what they have. I have no problem if he makes mistakes and learns from them, so be it. Although Rutgers technically can still go 6-6, this season is over. Start playing and planning for next season. It's how you improve.

Reactions: NickRU714
I like most of this but please stop with the "true freshman" excuse. He showed up last year during game 1. Was at practice the rest of the year. Played in October. Hit the maximum 4 games to keep his red shirt. Practiced before the bowl and played in that bowl. He is a red shirt freshman as a fact and in reality. No need to hold him out any more but sounds like a concussion will.
You can't go into next year with another question mark/unknown. Start to work the plays around his talents and see what they have. I have no problem if he makes mistakes and learns from them, so be it. Although Rutgers technically can still go 6-6, this season is over. Start playing and planning for next season. It's how you improve.
We won’t know what we have in him this year. Mostly because he’s a true freshman . Yes he is And the supporting cast around him his bad. Tom Brady would have looked bad with those guys dropping passes

We won’t know what we have in him this year. Mostly because he’s a true freshman . Yes he is And the supporting cast around him his bad. Tom Brady would have looked bad with those guys dropping passes
Saying he is a true freshman doesn't make him a true freshman. He will have 3 more seasons after this year, not 4. Why waste these last 4 games? What is he going to learn watching anymore? The wide receivers aren't going to learn to catch his throws with him sitting on the bench. As I said who cares what his stats are? Get him reps. This season is over. They all need more reps to improve. Who is coming in to dramatically improve the supporting cast

Saying he is a true freshman doesn't make him a true freshman. He will have 3 more seasons after this year, not 4. Why waste these last 4 games? What is he going to learn watching anymore? The wide receivers aren't going to learn to catch his throws with him sitting on the bench. As I said who cares what his stats are? Get him reps. This season is over. They all need more reps to improve. Who is coming in to dramatically improve the supporting cast
Hi White Bus- I agree with you here. Hope all is well. Other than Ryan and Langan, the performance by the receivers has been disappointing.

I want to play the guy that can win . I am not sure who that is. Whatever it takes to get us 1 or 2 more wins .
as upgrading the supporting cast that’s why schiano gets paid the big bucks and not plum street or white bus

Maybe it is not just the coordinator/coaching, but talent. The coaches can't catch the passes. That does not mean the coaches get a pass (no pun intended), but they need to figure out if there is another receiver like Ryan. And can @Richard Schnyderite or @ChrisNalwasky ask about Konopka? Hate to single out one player, but one TE not named Langan should be benched.

He is extremely raw still. He has a ton of potential, but he is still a baby. I am concerned with him protecting his body with his mechanics that still need improvement.

He is extremely raw still. He has a ton of potential, but he is still a baby. I am concerned with him protecting his body with his mechanics that still need improvement.
Thoughts on the receivers? Am I too harsh? Some of those drops were bad. Millen said the same, and he has been fair in his praise and criticism. He offers a lot of good insight during the games.

Thoughts on the receivers? Am I too harsh? Some of those drops were bad. Millen said the same, and he has been fair in his praise and criticism. He offers a lot of good insight during the games.
I think we have B/B+ receivers but they can not consistently make elite catches yet. This is where we have the issue. GW can not make consistent throws to help the WRs and the WRs can not make consistent high level catches to help GW.

The drops were bad. That was the most disconcerting thing out of the game I took away . The alaimo drop was particularly bad
Our TEs are not very good. JL is an H being forced to play TE because our other TEs have zero to no impact on the game.

Reactions: Kbee3
Maybe it is not just the coordinator/coaching, but talent. The coaches can't catch the passes. That does not mean the coaches get a pass (no pun intended), but they need to figure out if there is another receiver like Ryan. And can @Richard Schnyderite or @ChrisNalwasky ask about Konopka? Hate to single out one player, but one TE not named Langan should be benched.
This was before Indiana game

Q. Victor, when you mentioned him a couple weeks ago, you said it would be a long-term thing. Do you have any update on where he is or where he stands?
GREG SCHIANO: Victor will not be available on Saturday. As far as long term, I can't tell you exactly how long he's going to be out.

He is a True Freshman. Any true freshman who plays more than 4 games will have 3 years left just like him. That includes Brown who came in July unless he gets an injury waiver.

I think we have B/B+ receivers but they can not consistently make elite catches yet. This is where we have the issue. GW can not make consistent throws to help the WRs and the WRs can not make consistent high level catches to help GW.
Sad thing is we have one TE in each of the previous 2 classes and one for 2023, 6'7" Logan Blake from Hun School. Munnerlyn was listed as a TE, but he may have been more of a WR. But he's gone.
Non-Senior TEs on the Roster:

Jordan Walker FR (was a WR recruit) 6'4", 230 lbs
Evan Ward SO, 6'4", 235 lbs
Mike Higgins, FR 6'5", 240 lbs
Victor Konopka, SO, 6'7" 250 lbs

He is a True Freshman. Any true freshman who plays more than 4 games will have 3 years left just like him. That includes Brown who came in July unless he gets an injury waiver.
He is a red shirt freshman. Doesn't matter that he missed camp LAST year. This is his 2nd season.
From ScarletKnights.com roster list.
2022 (Sophomore): Made first collegiate start and rushed for 62 yards with a touchdown pass in home opener versus Wagner (9/10) ... recorded a 48-yard rush and completed five passes for 47 yards at Boston College (9/3).

2021 (Freshman): Played in four games ... completed nine passes for 45 yards and rushed for 68 yards on the season ... totaled seven completions and ran for 39 yards in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl versus No. 20 Wake Forest (12/31) ... saw action at Penn State (11/20) … rushed for 20 yards in the win at Indiana (11/13) ... made collegiate debut with a 13-yard completion on fourth down to extend go-ahead drive in the win at Illinois (10/30).

Last edited:
He is a red shirt freshman. Doesn't matter that he missed camp LAST year. This is his 2nd season.
From ScarletKnights.com roster list.
2022 (Sophomore): Made first collegiate start and rushed for 62 yards with a touchdown pass in home opener versus Wagner (9/10) ... recorded a 48-yard rush and completed five passes for 47 yards at Boston College (9/3).

2021 (Freshman): Played in four games ... completed nine passes for 45 yards and rushed for 68 yards on the season ... totaled seven completions and ran for 39 yards in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl versus No. 20 Wake Forest (12/31) ... saw action at Penn State (11/20) … rushed for 20 yards in the win at Indiana (11/13) ... made collegiate debut with a 13-yard completion on fourth down to extend go-ahead drive in the win at Illinois (10/30).
He's the age of a true freshman though.

Good point.
I don’t follow recruiting but does HC Schiano have any impact WRs redshirting or incoming?

I don't that closely, but with GS you never know. Even Sanu was really underrecruited, so we could be in luck there with even less star power. But honestly I'd rather a portal WR so we are taking less of chance and/or not waiting for development.

He is 19. I was 19 as a sophomore at Rutgers. Stop with the excuses. Let him play.

I don't understand the constant excuses for not playing Wimsatt.
Wimsatt left HS on September 4, 2021.

He's been with the team for 12 games of 2021, 2022 Spring Practice, 2022 Training Camp and 9 weeks of the 2022 season.
And he played in 4 games year: 3 road games (including Penn State) and a neutral site bowl game.

Sure, he missed 2021 Training Camp and 1 week of Temple game prep.

He's a hell of a lot closer to a full redshirt freshman/sophomore than a true freshman who's been with the team for 8 weeks.

He is 19. I was 19 as a sophomore at Rutgers. Stop with the excuses. Let him play.
I agree that he should play I'm saying he's the age of a true freshman still so don't expect him to win the Heisman, he's going to make a lot of mistakes and I'm not sure if our fans are going to tolerate it.

I agree that he should play I'm saying he's the age of a true freshman still so don't expect him to win the Heisman, he's going to make a lot of mistakes and I'm not sure if our fans are going to tolerate it.
I think the majority want him in now. Only the "true freshman" people are the ones that don't understand the value of actually playing in a game.

I don't understand the constant excuses for not playing Wimsatt.
Wimsatt left HS on September 4, 2021.

He's been with the team for 12 games of 2021, 2022 Spring Practice, 2022 Training Camp and 9 weeks of the 2022 season.
And he played in 4 games year: 3 road games (including Penn State) and a neutral site bowl game.

Sure, he missed 2021 Training Camp and 1 week of Temple game prep.

He's a hell of a lot closer to a full redshirt freshman/sophomore than a true freshman who's been with the team for 8 weeks.
I mostly agree, but a couple of things at play.
First, seems Gavin's high school had a strength and conditioning program. He did well on S/C his first year here.
While it seems he has the physical tools, others have observed and commented that he is adjusting to the speed of the game. Granted, he has been here since Sept. 4-5, 2021, but his playing time has been very sporadic. The beginning of this year is absolutely meaningless, as it was a bunch of sporadic, in and out reps. Not excuses, but just saying it's not like he has had 10-12 reps or 2-5 series every game. That said, if he is healthy, he should play and continue to learn.

Yeah. "True Freshman" is not really a quantifiable term, but it's universally used to mean that the dude was playing for a high school team in the previous academic year. Gavin Wimsatt is definitely not a "true freshman" (nor is he necessarily the age of one, which can vary).

Good luck to Mr. Wimsatt and Rutgers...

I'm of the opinion it's a system thing. I'd like to see what he could do in a wide open more tempo offense. I think that would tell you for sure if he's got it or not. KISS is my philosophy.

Drake Maye is one of the top qbs in the country and is a RS freshman. He's in Longo's version of Leach's Air Raid. Behren Morton also a RS freshman for TT in Kittley's offense (Leach grandchild), not as good as Maye but he's appeared in 3 games with substantial playing time this year. Tyler Shough was hurt and Donovan Smith they replaced. His first 2 games pretty nice productivity. He played pretty well in the Ok State game. I was quite surprised at how good he looked but eventually a "freshman mistake" INT cost them. It was good performance nonetheless. Last week 48 on WVU. This week he finally looked like freshman and had a bad performance. I don't think it's a coincidence that these players have some level of productivity or in Maye's case a lot.

Reverse it. Tyler Van Dyke was a RS freshman last year for Miami and looked really good and had good productivity at the qb position in Lashlee's tempo offense. Lashllee leaves to SMU, Cristobal/Gattis come in and change the offense and now his numbers are down. UVA similar with Brennan Armstrong a senior. A top qb last year with Robert Anae (another former Leach guy) and now a change in offense with Elliott and the numbers are down a lot. Their offense is anemic too and the game these teams had this past weekend was a terrible show of offense.

IMO system matters a lot in helping a qb and I don't think we have one that's helpful. There's a reason some coaches crank out productive qb after qb and some don't.

Yeah. "True Freshman" is not really a quantifiable term, but it's universally used to mean that the dude was playing for a high school team in the previous academic year. Gavin Wimsatt is definitely not a "true freshman" (nor is he necessarily the age of one, which can vary).

Good luck to Mr. Wimsatt and Rutgers...
He WAS playing in high school last year. He got a head start by coming here early last year but he's still the age of a freshman. People turn 19 their freshman year of college.

He's still very raw. He honestly reminds me of Sitkowski his freshman year. He has a cannon but his accuracy isn't great and often overthrows his receivers and makes mistakes. However his ability to run is a game changer. If he can get a feel for the RPO he can be very effective.

He WAS playing in high school last year. He got a head start by coming here early last year but he's still the age of a freshman. People turn 19 their freshman year of college.

He's still very raw. He honestly reminds me of Sitkowski his freshman year. He has a cannon but his accuracy isn't great and often overthrows his receivers and makes mistakes. However his ability to run is a game changer. If he can get a feel for the RPO he can be very effective.
Okay, cool. I doubt there are many people who would agree that he is a "true freshman", but okay.

Whitebus and I were 18 as freshmen in college. I turned 19 a week before my sophomore year started. It depends on a lot of things.

I think he's going to be good, and in no way am I ragging on him.

Good luck Rutgers!

He was also on Rutgers last year. Played last year at Rutgers. Played in a Bowl game too. Seems many people are forgetting that for some reason. Yes he is raw. Schiano made the smart decision to start him. Hope he improves every game.

ADVERTISEMENT