ADVERTISEMENT

OC Press Conference after Iowa

vkj91

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
for those who didn't see it. Gives some insight as to play calling and why he pulled Oden for 3rd and 4th down. Said Oden just doesn't have enough "ass" to punch it in there

I never really understood using Oden (or any other QB) in that game. We were having success running on them and I didn't understand why we didn't just use Martin (or Hicks or Goodwin). Why resort to gimmicky play (which at that point in that game w/this team is what it was to put in Oden) when straight ahead running was working?

Next year, or the year after, when we are playing a true dual-threat QB that has mastered the offense and can throw as well as he can run, then it's no longer gimmicky to put in a dual-threat QB.

If we were having no success running it, then I'd understand using Oden. But at that point in the game, I think DM (who I think is a going to be a truly brilliant coach, btw), was being a bit too clever. If it ain't broke; don't fix it.

I never really understood using Oden (or any other QB) in that game. We were having success running on them and I didn't understand why we didn't just use Martin (or Hicks or Goodwin). Why resort to gimmicky play (which at that point in that game w/this team is what it was to put in Oden) when straight ahead running was working?

Next year, or the year after, when we are playing a true dual-threat QB that has mastered the offense and can throw as well as he can run, then it's no longer gimmicky to put in a dual-threat QB.

If we were having no success running it, then I'd understand using Oden. But at that point in the game, I think DM (who I think is a going to be a truly brilliant coach, btw), was being a bit too clever. If it ain't broke; don't fix it.
I wouldn't call playing our base offense gimmicky. If you watch the video he clearly states they were plugging the interior gaps. That is why the QB chose to pull the ball out and keep it. It was actually there for Oden but he doesn't have the power to move the pile. Gio might have been a better answer but as someone who has been clamoring for another option at QB I'm not gonna get picky as to who it should be.

From what Mehringer said, it seemed like the defense was committed to stopping the interior run on the goal line, and plugging the gaps that our RBs were using when we were in the open field, He had put Oden in to try to get outside the tackles (which seems to be his strength), but he didn't have enough mass to punch it in. And clearly, he didn't have enough trust in any of the QBs/WRs to attempt a pass with that little real estate to work with.

CL was playing like crap. Not Jets QB crap but he couldn't get anything going and he needed a time out, we needed a spark, that is why he was put in.

Love watching these every week.

Drew didn't have his best week... but I do think he will get things worked out. There's something about him that I like. I like that he is so transparent and doesn't give Coach talk about why we didn't get it done. That characteristic itself is worth a ton. Tom Herman loves him for a reason.

Damn man we're starting to agree on stuff. Scary.

Reactions: mildone
I'm not sure how much liberty our QBs have to audible.

I know in Chip Kelly's, they have zero authority -- even at the NFL level.

I'm not sure how much liberty our QBs have to audible.

I know in Chip Kelly's, they have zero authority -- even at the NFL level.

Do you really trust Chris to make an audible? Just like everything else he does, he'd probably sit on it a while, ponder a bit, then make a decision too damn late.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Getting his feet wet so that when he takes over towards the end of the season, he is more up to speed.
I'm not convinced that will happen (Oden taking over at the end of the season), although given that we've burned his redshirt, it probably should happen if there's no chance at all to go to a bowl game. Might as well get him experience.

Do you really trust Chris to make an audible? Just like everything else he does, he'd probably sit on it a while, ponder a bit, then make a decision too damn late.
I think he ought to have the ability to audible in the red zone.

If those LBs are gumming up the inside gaps, I don't care if it's Cam Newton under center, it's tough to run between the tackles against a stacked box in a compressed field.

Reactions: D1ESEL44
I'm not convinced that will happen (Oden taking over at the end of the season), although given that we've burned his redshirt, it probably should happen if there's no chance at all to go to a bowl game. Might as well get him experience.
If we hadn't seen Oden on Saturday I assumed he would RS. They would announce some BS injury and call it a day. Now that he played, I have to think they plan on him playing significantly more.

I think he ought to have the ability to audible in the red zone.

If those LBs are gumming up the inside gaps, I don't care if it's Cam Newton under center, it's tough to run between the tackles against a stacked box in a compressed field.
In this offense every play has at least two if not three options. it's up to the QB to decide to hand off or keep it. Oden and Laviano are polar opposites. Laviano barely keeps it and Oden rarely hands it off.

I wouldn't call playing our base offense gimmicky. If you watch the video he clearly states they were plugging the interior gaps. That is why the QB chose to pull the ball out and keep it. It was actually there for Oden but he doesn't have the power to move the pile. Gio might have been a better answer but as someone who has been clamoring for another option at QB I'm not gonna get picky as to who it should be.
Well then I'll rephrase and say that I wouldn't have had any QB run it on third and fourth downs there, despite running the QB being part of the base offense. I would've run Martin. And probably I would've kicked a field-goal on fourth, but I also didn't mind taking a shot at a TD on fourth down either.

In this offense every play has at least two if not three options. it's up to the QB to decide to hand off or keep it. Oden and Laviano are polar opposites. Laviano barely keeps it and Oden rarely hands it off.
That's what I mean.

The playcall only has "built-in" answers to the extent that the QB can execute them.

If the QB isn't fast enough to threaten and hold an edge defender, the numerical advantage is gone. You might as well line up under center and run a conventional offense.

The reason folks like to run out of the gun is because the QB "blocks" that edge defender by being a threat to run. Without that threat, you're just running into a stacked box.

If we hadn't seen Oden on Saturday I assumed he would RS. They would announce some BS injury and call it a day. Now that he played, I have to think they plan on him playing significantly more.
I think they hope to play him lots more later in the season and that they believe there's a possibility of doing so. Not sure it's exactly a plan yet.

There's a reason Oden isn't playing already and it's hard to know if Ash's comments about him needing a lot of work in the passing game is (a) coach-speak intended to light a fire under Oden, (b) disinformation for opposing coaches, or (c) simply true. Probably some combination of all those things.

I think they hope to play him lots more later in the season and that they believe there's a possibility of doing so. Not sure it's exactly a plan yet.

There's a reason Oden isn't playing already and it's hard to know if Ash's comments about him needing a lot of work in the passing game is (a) coach-speak intended to light a fire under Oden, (b) disinformation for opposing coaches, or (c) simply true. Probably some combination of all those things.
I think it's a combo. That being said there is zero reason to start him against the next two D's we are facing. Series here and a series there. PSU had 20 yds of O at halftime against Michigan

Reactions: mildone
Precisely. Been saying this since game 1. If the QB doesnt have the skillset to keep the defense honest on the zone read, running this offense is a liability. If u are going to keep CL as the starter we will have more success starting under center out of an I formation if running between the tackles. All we are doing now is letting an unblocked defender crowd the box.no one gives a shit about CL keeping the ball bc he never does, and even if he does keep it like he tried to do more against Iowa, he can be run down before he gets even 3 yards. What were his rushing numbers on saturday? 12 attempts for net 5 yards or something?

That's what I mean.

The playcall only has "built-in" answers to the extent that the QB can execute them.

If the QB isn't fast enough to threaten and hold an edge defender, the numerical advantage is gone. You might as well line up under center and run a conventional offense.

The reason folks like to run out of the gun is because the QB "blocks" that edge defender by being a threat to run. Without that threat, you're just running into a stacked box.

Reactions: miketd1
ADVERTISEMENT