ADVERTISEMENT

Offense KYK

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
You guys who argue with KYK about how we run no offense well watch this team game after game 1 on 1 no back screens nonbasic offensive basketball and of course we have no one who can make a basket; we are at best a bubble team maybe; the drought may continue

12 points in one half, there will be no NCAA for this team not even NIT. 7-17

Guys are turning down and missing wide open threes. That’s not on coaching. That’s an absurd take to say we’re not running an offense. The game was tied and Harper turned down a wide open three and three it away

This stretch of losses is against teams that play solid defense. RU not a great shooting team and if the fast break isn't there not enough offense to win .

Reactions: RUJMM78
Player development can only take teams so far.Recruiting higher level talent is a must because B1G opponents have better shooters.Wisconsin wins 60-54 in another abysmal offensive performance by Rutgers.

You guys who argue with KYK about how we run no offense well watch this team game after game 1 on 1 no back screens nonbasic offensive basketball and of course we have no one who can make a basket; we are at best a bubble team maybe; the drought may continue
B1G has figured out Rutgers. NIT Maybe. NCAA not likely. Team never really has had an offense and their defense is just not that good to compensate vs past years.

Too much 1 on 1 action in the half court. The only consistent passing is the little weave 30 feet from the basket. We need to move the ball and get good shots. There is no reward for degree of difficulty.

These are generic comments but there's no basketball explanation behind them....it's the equivalent of saying Schiano doesn't run an offense in football and has a higher floor and low ceiling....teams have figured out his offense and Johnny Langan and his defense with the Julius Turner.

In football there's a strategy involved in trying to stop an opponent from running the ball when you're undersized up front....most reasonable fans would understand that you have to take more chances with blitzing to try and get into the backfield before a running back can get started....there are offensive plays and blocking schemes to counter that.....

No one then says a coach doesn't know offense or defense if you don't have the ability to block on the offensive line or stop the run on defense.

In basketball, generic statements without any explanation is OK but solves nothing if you complain about coaching and say nothing about how to fix it.

Everyone who understands basketball at the beginning of the season could have looked at the 1st 11 B1G games and called it the gauntlet.....and saw 2 vs Ohio State, 2 vs Sparty, Illinois Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin mixed with at Penn State, at Maryland and at Indiana and knew being over .500 during this stretch would be unlikely.

Now the 2nd half looks as tough because 2 vs Minnesota and Northwestern, where both look better than preseason expectations.....

Wisconsin didn't do or run anything on offense that was anything more than a couple of possessions where they scored and RU didn't....they went 8 minutes without a basket.....i don't see folks in college basketball saying Wisconsin doesn't run good offense.....these silly statements sound good after losses when you play Top 10-25 or good teams like Iowa, Ohio State Illinois Wisconsin and Purdue....RU won two of the 5 at home which just means you have to shore up the rest of the home schedule and pick up a couple on the road in February like Northwestern, Nebraska and start to play and shoot better.

It would also probably make sense to squeeze in a OOC during these long stretches of days between games. A game on Sunday or Monday would probably make sense if possible to reset things.

It’s not that we don’t “run an offense” although I get what KYK is saying and agree. It’s that we are so inconsistent in our half-court offense. The last four games have been against physical and/or fundamentally sound teams who know how to defend us. It’s magnified by the fact that we don’t have a go-to scorer when we need a basket to break a drought. Last season Geo somewhat fulfilled that role but he sure as hell isn’t doing it this season. I also don’t think we are running enough stuff to get him a good look when we need a basket so that needs to be rectified as well.

So far this season we either score in transition or struggle unless we are hitting threes. I mean last night we out-scored Wisconsin in the paint by a wide margin. The one FS1 commentator in the post game was perplexed on how we lost when we won that battle (as was I).

We need to take our one offensive strength which is Jacob Young’s speed and base the half court offense around it. I haven’t seen one opposing guard who can check him. Granted he’s not the best ball distributor and his handle gets sloppy in traffic at times but he’s what we’ve got. And when he’s out we struggle big time.I’m not saying we go to a strict “1-4” offense with him as he’s not good enough passer but run tenets of it. Thing is when we aren’t hitting shots teams pack line us like Wisconsin did last night. Most of our paint points came off JY penetration in spite of the pack line, he’s that quick.

Last edited:
It’s not that we don’t “run an offense” although I get what KYK is saying and agree. It’s that we are so inconsistent in our half-court offense. The last four games have been against physical and/or fundamentally sound teams who know how to defend us. It’s magnified by the fact that we don’t have a go-to scorer when we need a basket to break a drought. Last season Geo somewhat fulfilled that role but he sure as hell isn’t doing it this season. I also don’t think we are running enough stuff to get him a good look when we need a basket so that needs to be rectified as well.

So far this season we either score in transition or struggle unless we are hitting threes. I mean last night we out-scored Wisconsin in the paint by a wide margin. The one FS1 commentator in the post game was perplexed on how we lost when we won that battle (as was I).

We need to take our one offensive strength which is Jacob Young’s speed and base the half court offense around it. I haven’t seen one opposing guard who can check him. Granted he’s not the best ball distributor and his handle gets sloppy in traffic at times but he’s what we’ve got. And when he’s out we struggle big time.I’m not saying we go to a strict “1-4” offense with him as he’s not good enough passer but run tenets of it. Thing is when we aren’t hitting shots teams pack line us like Wisconsin did last night. Most of our paint points came off JY penetration in spite of the pack line, he’s that quick.
Problem is when JY kicks the ball out we have no one who can make a shot and we just don't have anyone now who you can rely on to score one on one or make a 3 pointer on a consistent basis even when RHJ was shooting from the outside they were off of passes he cannot create his own shot from 3

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Rutgers goes as Harper goes and with his injury and slump shooting offense drying up. I agree Young is the only one holding this team together on the offense end

Totally correct. This is not on Pike. The team actually took good shots yesterday. They were all going in a few weeks ago but they are in a horrible shooting slump right now. 2-19 from 3. It’s not a coincidence that every opposing coach loves Pike. As far as recruiting is concerned, he has done a good job identifying his guys (Geo, Johnson, Cliff, McConnell, Young, RHJ, etc)

one guy that concerns me is Paul Mulcahey. If he cannot make wide open 3’s and do anything offensively, not sure he has a bright future on just his grit. I love the way he plays and he is a fantastic passer but not sure he is more than a 10 minute a game guy

Are we talking about the same person that thinks we’re better off without Eugene and worried about Harper going to the nba? We don’t run many set plays but we have an offense. We just aren’t playing well. 2-19 from three. Terrible turnovers. Inability to drive under control except for young at this point. Wisconsin beats us with the same offense. They were just better. At least we played defense. That gives us a punchers chance most nights.

One on one isnt an offense.
In the NBA its the normal offense because there are shooters at every position that can create and make shots.In college its a different story where fundamental basketball with passing and screens are needed to get open shots.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
These are generic comments but there's no basketball explanation behind them....it's the equivalent of saying Schiano doesn't run an offense in football and has a higher floor and low ceiling....teams have figured out his offense and Johnny Langan and his defense with the Julius Turner.

In football there's a strategy involved in trying to stop an opponent from running the ball when you're undersized up front....most reasonable fans would understand that you have to take more chances with blitzing to try and get into the backfield before a running back can get started....there are offensive plays and blocking schemes to counter that.....

No one then says a coach doesn't know offense or defense if you don't have the ability to block on the offensive line or stop the run on defense.

In basketball, generic statements without any explanation is OK but solves nothing if you complain about coaching and say nothing about how to fix it.

Everyone who understands basketball at the beginning of the season could have looked at the 1st 11 B1G games and called it the gauntlet.....and saw 2 vs Ohio State, 2 vs Sparty, Illinois Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin mixed with at Penn State, at Maryland and at Indiana and knew being over .500 during this stretch would be unlikely.

Now the 2nd half looks as tough because 2 vs Minnesota and Northwestern, where both look better than preseason expectations.....

Wisconsin didn't do or run anything on offense that was anything more than a couple of possessions where they scored and RU didn't....they went 8 minutes without a basket.....i don't see folks in college basketball saying Wisconsin doesn't run good offense.....these silly statements sound good after losses when you play Top 10-25 or good teams like Iowa, Ohio State Illinois Wisconsin and Purdue....RU won two of the 5 at home which just means you have to shore up the rest of the home schedule and pick up a couple on the road in February like Northwestern, Nebraska and start to play and shoot better.

It would also probably make sense to squeeze in a OOC during these long stretches of days between games. A game on Sunday or Monday would probably make sense if possible to reset things.

Seemed pretty obvious to me that despite the fact that they also missed a ton of shots, Wisconsin had a plan on offense. Yes we played good defense but the ball moves around and they are actively moving without the ball and setting screens and back screens off the ball. Watch our offense in the half court. There is very little off ball action most of the time. One guy is pounding the rock and maybe Myles comes up and sets screen and then who knows. The guys off the ball don't seem to be exerting much energy trying to run a set play. This is not new by the way just something that is more pronounced when few shots are falling. Wisconsin is not a bad defensive team but IMO we made things very easy for them.

ADVERTISEMENT