ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL: ASH FIRED!!!! ; Nunzio Campanile interim; McNulty also gone

Mike Elko damn well better be at least considered!!

Jersey boy with Texas recruiting success and experience...we may not be able to out recruit A&M, their steers and the land thieves but there’s a shit ton of talent down here.

Elko deserves a chance at a HC job, but after taking the “first time HC” shot with Ash, Rutgers can’t even consider any career coordinators for this hire.

You think? - Once again the self proclaimed insiders on this board have proven they are full of crap.
I don't proclaim myself an insider. I have explained a rumor in certain circles, in as delicate a manner as not to blow it out of proportion. It looks like it has been dealt with, and everyone can move on.

Reactions: RUonBrain
As a Michigan fan I am happy we could provide relief via the final straw.

Good luck in your Post Ash Era!
Actually that would be Iowa. It's now being reported the BOG gave permission to fire him two weeks ago. We also got reports that high level boosters were incensed during that game.

Reactions: ldwnmas
Butch Jones is energetic like Schiano...I think he could do very well at Rutgers

Elko deserves a chance at a HC job, but after taking the “first time HC” shot with Ash, Rutgers can’t even consider any career coordinators for this hire.
Fair point

Leavitt would be a very good DC but that's not likely, if he's going to be DC he may just replace Barnett at FSU and rejoin Taggart.

Any coach right now would be an experiment at RU. Only one has been able to live the culture there. The 2 experiments you cited : one is working on his 2nd straight undefeated season in NJ so he must recruit over his head and the other kicked our ass! Get It?!! Now you go jump back into your safe space,
So recruiting an ivy league school translates into having the relationships to bring in players to compete in the B1G east division. Ok.
And a guy beat Chris ash. Then lost to Army a week later 42 - 13 and list to liberty 35 to 17 and Miami of ohio earlier this year Maybe we should add the coach from eastern mich and the guy Kansas fired. They kicked our ass too.

I didn't say they weren't quality coaches. This is a chance for Rutgers to put up or get out.

This is a big time job that requires relationships and a resume of winning against P5 teams. The next experiment needs to begin with the right ingredients.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Leavitt reminds me of a wacky head coach in a football movie. Give him credit for building the USF program but then again, how much of that was him and how much of it was the surplus of talent in his backyard.

And why couldn't he reopen that Flordia pipeline for Rutgers?

Leavitt reminds me of a wacky head coach in a football movie. Give him credit for building the USF program but then again, how much of that was him and how much of it was the surplus of talent in his backyard.
he's a damned good coach. The 49ers loved him as LB coach under Harbaugh.

been saying CAMPS TAKE OVER WAS POSSIBLE,HAD SOURCE CLOSE.
cAMPS ARE TIGHT WITH schiano.
ant camp as head coacH?

You were the first one I thought of when I saw that Nunzio would be interim (and may be a candidate at the end of the season), but I don't understand part I bolded. Help me understand that scenario.

Leavitt has already pulled a Kyle Flood with some shennigans and coverups. In case anyone forgot why he got canned at USF...

Leavitt was fired after an investigation by USF officials found that he had struck a player in the locker room during halftime of a game against Louisville the previous November 21. Leavitt claimed he was merely trying to console the player and never struck him. School officials found that Leavitt was not truthful about what happened, and also found that he had interfered with the investigation. ESPN's Ivan Maisel reported that Leavitt's interference, which included telling several players and coaches to change their stories, was the biggest factor in the decision to fire him.

Might be a great coach but this is not a guy you want in the NYC market, particularly at RU, which the local media loves to dig.

Reactions: ru1869
This was decided two weeks ago. Schiano, Jones and Leavitt were contacted for interest two weeks ago according to reports. Everything is leaking now.

Reactions: scarlet_ty
Right now, we need somebody who can get the program to respectable, we don't need the "ultimate coach". Take someone like Jones or Schiano, get us to 6 or 7 win seasons, and the job becomes much more attractive for us to hire an "up and coming" hotshot the next time around..

And there were posters here who said Rutgers would not fire Ash during the middle fo the season. You have to stop the bleeding, or you'll bleed out, and we were close.
I was one of those, and I am so happy I was wrong. This is so unlike previous Rutgers decision making.

Reactions: Caliknight
Right now, we need somebody who can get the program to respectable, we don't need the "ultimate coach". Take someone like Jones or Schiano, get us to 6 or 7 win seasons, and the job becomes much more attractive for us to hire an "up and coming" hotshot the next time around..
Are we firing them after they get to 6 or 7 wins or are they resigning?

The email:

Dear Fellow Scarlet Knight,

After careful consideration, we have announced that Head Football Coach Chris Ash and Offensive Coordinator John McNulty have been relieved of their duties, effective immediately. Tight ends coach Nunzio Campanile will serve as Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the season.

Change is rarely easy, especially when it involves individuals who have invested so much in a shared vision. We are grateful to Chris and John, and their families, for the commitment made to our football program, the department, the University, and especially to our student-athletes.

Despite progress in other areas, progress on the field was not realized, and it is time for a change.We are grateful for your continued support and effort.

Thank you for all that you do for Rutgers Athletics and your continued support of Scarlet Knight student-athletes.

Sincerely,
Pat
They nailed it.

So recruiting an ivy league school translates into having the relationships to bring in players to compete in the B1G east division. Ok.
And a guy beat Chris ash. Then lost to Army a week later 42 - 13 and list to liberty 35 to 17 and Miami of ohio earlier this year Maybe we should add the coach from eastern mich and the guy Kansas fired. They kicked our ass too.

I didn't say they weren't quality coaches. This is a chance for Rutgers to put up or get out.

This is a big time job that requires relationships and a resume of winning against P5 teams. The next experiment needs to begin with the right ingredients.

What I am saying about Surace is that he is recruiting better than Ivy League players. It is a lot tougher to even have a chance of being accepted to Princeton than RU. He is also a Jersey guy. I seriously doubt he would leave Princeton anyway. He played there and his wife played soccer there. Just thought you were taking a happy moment (Ash departure) and choosing to dump on other coaches. If not, no biggie, let's just get the guy who is best for RU!

What I am saying about Surace is that he is recruiting better than Ivy League players. It is a lot tougher to even have a chance of being accepted to Princeton than RU. He is also a Jersey guy. I seriously doubt he would leave Princeton anyway. He played there and his wife played soccer there. Just thought you were taking a happy moment (Ash departure) and choosing to dump on other coaches. If not, no biggie, let's just get the guy who is best for RU!
I grew up and still live 15 mins from Princeton. My High School graduation was held in Princeton Chapel. I love eastern football. I love seeing the Tigers win in all sports when not playing Rutgers. Jersey pride. Get him on staff..ok by me. Nuff said.

ADVERTISEMENT