ADVERTISEMENT

Official Crow Eating thread

vkj91

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
I'll be the first. While I still don't think from a coaching standpoint, Schiano is the best coach we could have hired. There were a few things said at the press conference that bring me joy and allow me to buy all in.
1. Only he would have the balls to "force" Murphy to not only buy in but be present at the press conference.
2. He talked about being more of a mentor to the kids and CEO type head coach vs a micro manager. Now, we all know he will still be involved, but he understands it's not just him anymore.
3. Most importantly, between the name I heard for OC and his public statement of spreading the field and not being in a phone booth, we are finally going to go all in on a real college O.
I'm pumped and ready to eat my crow.

I'll be the first. While I still don't think from a coaching standpoint, Schiano is the best coach we could have hired. There were a few things said at the press conference that bring me joy and allow me to buy all in.
1. Only he would have the balls to "force" Murphy to not only buy in but be present at the press conference.
2. He talked about being more of a mentor to the kids and CEO type head coach vs a micro manager. Now, we all know he will still be involved, but he understands it's not just him anymore.
3. Most importantly, between the name I heard for OC and his public statement of spreading the field and not being in a phone booth, we are finally going to go all in on a real college O.
Same

Thank you for sharing.

Hi. I'm @RU4Real, and I'm a negaholic.

I, too, have been extremely skeptical of Schiano. But listening to him this morning it became clear to me that he's more in touch with the executive level attitude that's required to be a successful coach in a major P5 conference. I was delighted to hear him say, "I have to let them do their jobs and I have to do my job." If he can stick to that, I think he can be successful, given the tools that he has.

There's no question that he gets it. He gets New Jersey. He gets Rutgers. He understands the very fabric of those things that bind us together.

I came away from his "talk" this morning very impressed and excited for next season.

Last edited:
What name you hear?

All is forgiven. Get your Rutgers magnets on your cars and get tickets at 866-445-4678. Hope the Rutgers ticket office phone lines are melting today.
We all appreciate the crow eating. However, it is nice when you don't have to go buy new R magnets, go out and beg to get back your season tickets, etc. when you just stuck with the program the whole time. Just sayin'. :Rutgers

He was down my list as well and I liked everything I heard and if he follows through with it he's got a chance. I'm not generally a feet off the ground guy or believer in sure things but I was feeling good...even motivated enough to donate again. I hope he can do it.

There is no question the press conference and this entire week has been off the wall positive for the team. How much of that has to do with Schiano the actual person, as opposed to the dramatic circumstances of his arrival and the crazy amount of passion the entire community has displayed in rallying around the myth of Schiano remains to be seen. In the end however, the difference may not matter. Perception is everything, and if enough people THINK Schiano is a god, then it will be true, at least for a little while.... It will sour eventually of course....but in the meantime he can potentially get a ton done and build a serious foundation. All of that, I'll admit, I was not taking into account as I was considering who should be coach.

Reactions: Scarlet83 and theRU
We all appreciate the crow eating. However, it is nice when you don't have to go buy new R magnets, go out and beg to get back your season tickets, etc. when you just stuck with the program the whole time. Just sayin'. :Rutgers
the school showed they weren't willing to invest. I don't blame people, including myself, for not continuing to piss away money. That has changed

Agree with your points. From a pure coaching perspective I don't think Schiano was the best we could have done. But it's clear he cares about the university, has a passion for the players and game, and if he gets an experienced OC and let's them run it then I'm happy to sit and wait to see how we look in a few years before starting to judge his second tenure.

I stuck with the program, still have tickets, sat through the last 8 years, just did not think bringing Schiano back was the answer. I am converted.

In addition to OP's comments, while I was all-in on GS, to hear him identify RECRUITING as the thing he learned from Urban Meyer... well, I really liked hearing that and it pairs nicely with my thoughts after seeing that private jet access request. We absolutely should be able to identify and sell individual 4-stars from all over the country on coming to Rutgers. There is a lot at Rutgers and in this area to sell to kids and focusing on regions and hoping you can convince the right recruits from those regions on what it is we actually have to sell them on Rutgers... it is limiting. It is costly, to fly in recruits and families for official visits from far away.. but we need them.

I was in the same boat as vkj91 and knew that there were better coaches out there. However now I am starting to believe that GS was the only choice, at this point, especially considering the names that were being bandied about. Now lets see how Greg has changed so that he can get Rutgers to the next level(I know he will get RU to bowl games) so I am on board.

VKJ, I think your second point will prove to be the most important. He has more funds to go after experienced, accomplished coordinators - will he give them the space they need to do their jobs? I think at this stage of his career and based on his experience, he will.

Back before Schiano walked away from the negotiations, I was talking with a very good friend of mine about him. Her take really resonated with me. Here's what she said: "Schiano may not be a great coach, but he's a great coach for Rutgers!"

Thank you for sharing.

I, too, have been extremely skeptical of a Schiano. But listening to him this morning it became clear to me that he's more in touch with the executive level attitude that's required to be a successful coach in a major P5 conference. I was delighted to hear him say, "I have to let them do their jobs and I have to do my job." If he can stick to that, I think he can be successful, given the tools that he has.

There's not question that he gets it. He gets New Jersey. He gets Rutgers. He understands the very fabric of those things that bind us together.

I came away from his "talk" this morning very impressed and excited for next season.

This. So much of what has come about these past weeks, then everything everyone said, today...just....WOW. Going back to the thread I started after the Minnesota game regarding me finally being “all in” for Greg I pointed out - IIRC - both the need for him having matured/been humbled/less of an ego, whatever, AND him allowing his assistance ti fo their jobs. Absolutely LOVED hearing all of that today!!

He did it once and I BELIEVE he can do it again. That's why he was always my #1 choice. His love of the school and the state really shines through. Rutgers and New Jersey Pride is just what was needed.

Greg knows how to build a program, and that is exactly what we need now.

Glad to hear that he will trust his coaches and delegate more. Greg has a FT job recruiting players and selling the RU FB program again to the public.

It will take years but Greg can get it done.

Reactions: RU848789
Frankly most of us just wished you guys were more intelligent. Your analysis and reasoning on this topic was always lacking.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I was in the same boat as the OP. Thought we could do better as a coach. But like many have stated, he seems humbled and learn some lessons on how to be a more effective CEO type of coach.

The other turning point for me was the events of the past week and his speech made me realize that we need someone who both gets NJ and gets the deal with the Rutgers job.

Reactions: RU848789

Count me all in as well. I was literally getting chills when he just started speaking from the heart 3/4 of the way in..and you could sense the tone in his voice change...like he was speaking to us as if we were the team.

GREAT STUFF.

I think he is going to make an INSTANT impact and I won't be surprised to see a few MAJOR names commit to Rutgers in the next couple of days.

He did a nice job this morning. His opening comments were inspirational and from the heart. From all appearances, he and Hobbs have reconciled and are moving forward as a team. That's a good thing.

As I have said before, it is time to move forward collectively and get behind the effort to get this thing turned around.

Reactions: mosito
Thank you for sharing.

I, too, have been extremely skeptical of a Schiano. But listening to him this morning it became clear to me that he's more in touch with the executive level attitude that's required to be a successful coach in a major P5 conference. I was delighted to hear him say, "I have to let them do their jobs and I have to do my job." If he can stick to that, I think he can be successful, given the tools that he has.

There's not question that he gets it. He gets New Jersey. He gets Rutgers. He understands the very fabric of those things that bind us together.

I am sure Greg learned a lot from Urban.

Reactions: beaced
On the same page as @vkj91 I was thinking that Greg would be at best a two step solution to our mostly one step problem towards getting back to respectability, but after today I am all in and think he will bring us more than just respectability.
Double for me.

Reactions: FrankZ
Back before Schiano walked away from the negotiations, I was talking with a very good friend of mine about him. Her take really resonated with me. Here's what she said: "Schiano may not be a great coach, but he's a great coach for Rutgers!"
I felt there were better choices than Greg,but Schiano was the best choice out of those that would come.

I wonder if any other person would fight so hard to get RU FB what it needs other than Greg?

I was a big Hobbs must go at the end. But If Greg can forgive Pat Hobbs I sure as sh*t can forgive him. We really need him for fundraising. But I will never forget the calamity he almost perpetrated.
giphy.gif

I was against hiring Schiano for 2.0
But after the whole thing collapsed, it wrangled me that they would do that.
I'm all in Schiano just hit a Grandslam home run in the bottom of the ninth, 2 outs 2 strikes 2 balls.
BOOOOOOOOM

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT