ADVERTISEMENT

Official I Love Aron Cruickshank Thread

He had plenty of room to kick the ball.
He did but Rutgers could also played contain and not allowed him a free lane. Just because Rutgers failed doesn’t mean he has to punt or deserves a cheap shot out of bounds.

I never said it was a fake punt. But the announcers did several times, and I will take Joshua Perry's words over anybody's here.

Here is the sequence. Cruickshank was flying up the sidelines and the punter had just stepped out. As an aside, if he did not want to get hit, he could have slid after he got the first down, but he decided to go for it.

Slide 1: Where was Cruickshank supposed to go? He was boxed in.

NTWvLYP.jpg

Slide 2 when contact is made:

avqCRwz.jpg

Slide 3:
At this point, the punter and Cruickshank both lost their footing from the collision. Doesn't appear to be flagrant. Cruickshank did not have time to go right with #21 closing in.

k3sw1wB.jpg
He wouldn’t have been ejected if he had lowered his shoulder and made the hit. He had time to pull up. He may have still made contact but and flagged but he wouldn’t have been ejected.

When Cruichshank stopped running his toes were just barely out of bounds, and from the replay from his direction it didn’t seem as deliberate as the initial view. A catch is still good if the feet are inbounds. Is a hit late if the defenders feet are inbounds?

It happens to all teams but I wouldn’t be celebrating a player getting ejected and missing the first half of a crucial bowl game as this thread is doing. Some here actually think it was good that he did it. I am sure the coaches aren’t happy and celebrating it. It is a costly penalty.
Explain to me why he is missing the first half of next week? It was a flagrant penalty with ejection not a targeting penalty. Nowhere does it state that flagrant will result in next game penalties.

He did but Rutgers could also played contain and not allowed him a free lane. Just because Rutgers failed doesn’t mean he has to punt or deserves a cheap shot out of bounds.
So he had a choice. He should have kicked the ball up 39 points with less than 10 minutes left in the game.

I never said it was a fake punt. But the announcers did several times, and I will take Joshua Perry's words over anybody's here.

Here is the sequence. Cruickshank was flying up the sidelines and the punter had just stepped out. As an aside, if he did not want to get hit, he could have slid after he got the first down, but he decided to go for it.

NTWvLYP.jpg

avqCRwz.jpg

Slide 3:
At this point, the punter and Cruickshank both lost their footing from the collision. Doesn't appear to be flagrant. Cruickshank did not have time to go right with #21 closing in.

k3sw1wB.jpg
If you look at slide 1 and slide 2 you will see that Cruickshank has not moved while the Ohio St player has moved forward into Cruickshank. In slide 3 the Ohio St player has moved even more forward into Cruickshank.

It’s a football sequence that actually makes sense.
- Punter decides to run for it, up by 39 points
- AC didn’t like it and got penalized for a late hit
The rules take care of the rest, and I’m good with that.

Was losing him for the first half of a winnable game against Nebraska worth “sending a message” to a punter who just reacted to a complete collapse by the punt return team? How is exploiting a complete undisciplined punt block disrespect? Now Rutgers has to play an entire half without arguably you best offensive player in a must win game if you hope to get a bowl game. Do you think it actually changed anything?
We'll find someone else who can fair catch every kickoff & punt for a half.

The punter could have easily run right for the sticks and been out of bounds with the 1st down conversion and no RU player within 5 yards of him. Instead, he got greedy and pushed for yardage - and he got popped in punter pads a step outside the field of play.

Dumb move by the punter to try to put himself at risk there to eke out another chunk of unnecessary yardage - and I'm sure that's what Day's conversation with him will be about.

And absolutely no qualms about Cruick lighting him up there. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

NTWvLYP.jpg

avqCRwz.jpg

Slide 3:

k3sw1wB.jpg
I could be wrong, but to me it looked like AC saw the punter run out of bounds with enough time to choose another option besides lowering his shoulder and making a hard, out of bounds hit.

Why are you here? If this board was live I would tackle you two yards out of bounds. Go to the the PSU board and say whatever you want over there.
Hes right though. We had terrible contain discipline. We sent two guys into the same gap. No matter the score the punter should do what he is coached to do.

Zero contain, zero pressure, and he can see the sticks. Run for a first down.

All punt block schemes have contain players. Someone on Rutgers ST screwed up.

Hes right though. We had terrible contain discipline. We sent two guys into the same gap. No matter the score the punter should do what he is coached to do.

Zero contain, zero pressure, and he can see the sticks. Run for a first down.

All punt block schemes have contain players. Someone on Rutgers ST screwed up.
Greg terminated the ST coach, who is now in the same role at Temple. There are only assistants in charge of special teams.

Explain to me why he is missing the first half of next week? It was a flagrant penalty with ejection not a targeting penalty. Nowhere does it state that flagrant will result in next game penalties.
You have it right. Only targeting and fighting ejections are two half suspensions. All other ejections only pertain to that game. He got a flagrant personal foul so it's not subject to the two half suspension.

Reactions: RUMED and shields
ADVERTISEMENT