ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL NET Thread - 2022/23

RU back up to #21 this morning BTW. Indiana dropped behind us to #23. Hopefully Maryland will replace Ohio State in the top 30 if they eventually slide out of there, so we'd still have four Q1 wins.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
That's a rough drop for Northwestern for losing on the road. I guess the margin of defeat was too much?

Don’t we suck in offensive efficiency though?
Rutgers has scored 82 and 90 points over the last two games. That is unreal for Rutgers.
82 points against Iowa with 23 assists
90 points against Minnesota with 30 assists
It appears the offense is trending in the right direction.
February has been a good month for Rutgers, as they have turned it up the last few years.

RU up to 20 from 21 … jumped Boise 17-4. Going to be hard to move up much without others losing - at 15 wins only 1 team above us has fewer (Creighton with 14 at #17). Keep winning !

The group from 30-35 may be closely spaced, as Auburn jumped from 36 to 30 by hammering Georgia at home. They leapfrogged Iowa and Maryland, among others. New Mexico lost at Utah State to fall from 30 to 37.

Oklahoma State won by 10 at Oklahoma, who is now just 12-10 (net #58) despite the big win over Alabama.

Temple’s NET seems like it’s “broken”.

I know they have a couple Q4 losses, but James Madison, for instance, sits at 88 with 4 of them, and is only 1-3 vs Q1 and 2. I get that our board efficiency buffs will tout their close loss to Virginia, but come on. Temple actually won games. They are the only team ranked under 70 in the NET with 3+ Q1 wins and they are 3-0! I admit I wasn’t sold on them being a decent team but they’ve turned things around. It’s crazy that they aren’t in the top 100 at this point.

Reactions: MiloTalon13

I know they have a couple Q4 losses, but James Madison, for instance, sits at 88 with 4 of them, and is only 1-3 vs Q1 and 2. I get that our board efficiency buffs will tout their close loss to Virginia, but come on. Temple actually won games. They are the only team ranked under 70 in the NET with 3+ Q1 wins and they are 3-0! I admit I wasn’t sold on them being a decent team but they’ve turned things around. It’s crazy that they aren’t in the top 100 at this point.
Probably fair. It looks like JMU is up there because they blew out a bunch of really bad teams. While I think the NET generally is good I would say that sort of thing is emphasized too much.

Not sure. Temple is actually above James Madison in T-Rank and slightly below (less than the NET difference) in Kenpom. Temple is ahead in the RPI.

Actually looking at it closer I guess it is efficiency, but Bart and Kenpom have some damping effect that weights blowouts less heavily. JMU is apparently #5 in raw scoring margin.

Honestly think this is the best example provided yet of a broken comparison.

Not sure. Temple is actually above James Madison in T-Rank and slightly below (less than the NET difference) in Kenpom. Temple is ahead in the RPI.

Actually looking at it closer I guess it is efficiency, but Bart and Kenpom have some damping effect that weights blowouts less heavily. JMU is apparently #5 in raw scoring margin.

Honestly think this is the best example provided yet of a broken comparison.

It’s a good example because it’s very close to apples to apples - nothing to debate over which metrics to prioritize.

I see Villanova as just as good an example though, for instance, at NET 89 comparatively as equally broken with their 10-12 record (and Temple winning the head to head). I do recognize that there’s more to debate there. Different type of profile.

The NET is just strange. How Tennessee who has now lost multiple times to unranked teams and loses by 13 last night to an outside the bubble Florida team one game after Florida got demolished by Kansas State , and stays at 2 is beyond me. They gotta move to 4-5 at least.
Now the NET loves Rutgers this year , primarily due to our beatdowns of the Quad 4 , but we have other stuff on the resume like beating Wake by 24, Penn State by 20 , Indiana by 15 and Maryland by 14 and of course Purdue on the road and Northwestern on the road. But the NET is so inconsistent in how many spots teams move with a win or a loss. Northwestern did not deserve to drop 7 spots with their loss at Iowa. Now any committee member watching that game had to be impressed with how NW played toe to toe and the final score was not indicative of how good both teams were.
Hopeful the NET will be used in context and not a definitive barometer as it is supposed to be. Some of these NET numbers and rankings are just bad.

I think Temples NET is fair given 6 losses to Q3/4

I think Temples NET is fair given 6 losses to Q3/4
It is not fair when Tennessee loses to 2 unranked teams and still is at 2. Their losses are bad too. Temple’s roster like our roster was hurt early and has definitely changed as I did not recognize 3 of their guys in a recent game they played. Plus they beat the # 1 team in the country at the time ,and still now ,Houston on the road . They are not getting enough bump from that game. They should have been bumped 30-35 spots and were only bumped I think 15-17. They are now a top 75 team , having followed up Houston with another road win at UCF and beat Cincy. They should not be 115.
Huge problem with the NET is that it doesn’t account for injuries and not having your full team when you take a loss. Humans do. Temple is going to be real interesting down the stretch here in February and if they go 8-2 with more marquee wins , they might end up under 100 ( maybe 80-95) but have a number of Quad 1 and 2 wins to offset their Quad 4 losses.

Temple has some opportunity to prove themselves. 5 of their last 8 are against Top 100 NET teams. Do we think they can get under 100 and make the RU loss a Q2?

Is MSU considered a Quad 1 or Quad 2 game? I haven't seen anything definitive on that but I have to assume the NET considers this a neutral site game.

Is MSU considered a Quad 1 or Quad 2 game? I haven't seen anything definitive on that but I have to assume the NET considers this a neutral site game.
Yeah it should be neutral... The Michigan game there in 2020 was neutral for NET purposes.

RU is now #20

Results:
Q1 (1-30 Home, 1-50 Neutral, 1-75 Away)
3 - @Purdue (W)
23 - Indiana (W)
29 - @Ohio St (L*)
29 - Ohio St (W)
32 - @Iowa (L)
40 - @Miami (L)
49 - @Northwestern (W)
48 - @MSU (L)

Q2 (31-75 Home 51-100 Neutral, 76-135 Away)
32 - Iowa (L)
33 - Maryland (W)
53 - Seton Hall (L)
56 - Penn St (W)
72 - Wake Forest (W)

Q3 (76-160 Home, 101-200 Neutral, 136-240 Away)
115 - (N) Temple (L)
148 - UMass-Lowell (W)

Q4 (161+ Home, 201+Neutral, 241+ Away)
204 - Rider (W)
226 - Minnesota (W)
299 - Bucknell (W)
327 - Sacred Heart (W)
331 - Coppin St (W)
334 - Central CT St (W)
341 - Columbia (W)

Upcoming
23 - @Indiana
25 - @Illinois
56 - @Penn St
77 - @Wisconsin

Q2 (31-75 Home, 51-100 Neutral, 76-135 Away)
48 - MSU ("home" at MSG?)
49 - Northwestern

83 - Michigan
99 - Nebraska
226 - @Minnesota

Notes:
- No more Q4 games left
- Iowa and Maryland trying to get to Q1
- Ohio State still five losses away from dropping to Q2.... I kid, I kid...

Edit: To move the MSG game to Q2 because of a bizarro NET decision to call it a home game...

Last edited:
RU is now #20

Results:
3 - @Purdue (W)
23 - Indiana (W)
29 - @Ohio St (L*)
29 - Ohio St (W)
32 - @Iowa (L)
40 - @Miami (L)
49 - @Northwestern (W)
48 - @MSU (L)

Q2 (31-75 Home 51-100 Neutral, 76-135 Away)
32 - Iowa (L)
33 - Maryland (W)
53 - Seton Hall (L)
56 - Penn St (W)
72 - Wake Forest (W)

115 - (N) Temple (L)
148 - UMass-Lowell (W)

Q4 (161+ Home, 201+Neutral, 241+ Away)
204 - Rider (W)
226 - Minnesota (W)
299 - Bucknell (W)
327 - Sacred Heart (W)
331 - Coppin St (W)
334 - Central CT St (W)
341 - Columbia (W)

Upcoming
23 - @Indiana
25 - @Illinois
48 - (N)MSU
56 - @Penn St
77 - @Wisconsin

Q2 (31-75 Home, 51-100 Neutral, 76-135 Away)
49 - Northwestern

83 - Michigan
99 - Nebraska
226 - @Minnesota

Notes:
- No more Q4 games left
- Iowa and Maryland trying to get to Q1
- Ohio State still five losses away from dropping to Q2.... I kid, I kid...
Thanks Choppin for this daily update as it is great facts for nuts like us on these boards. Hope you got thru Covid okay ? Long Covid is no joke. Hope your better

It's bullshit. The 2020 Michigan game was rightly neutral for NET. How is this any different?

Reactions: Scangg
Yeah I mean if these are going to count as home games we should tell the Big Ten to **** off when they ask us to do this. Unless the return game is going to count as a road game? (It won't)

That's.... a crazy decision. It's a neutral venue, we don't control, that isn't included in the season ticket package, that isn't even in the same state.... but yeah, it's considered a home game. ????

Then again, it's not like NET was making a whole lot of sense before today, either.
It's not just NET though.. presumably this means it counts for a home game in everything, the records, the team sheet, etc

Thanks Choppin for this daily update as it is great facts for nuts like us on these boards. Hope you got thru Covid okay ? Long Covid is no joke. Hope your better

I try to update it the day after we have games.

Was down for the count for 2.5 days, but feeling much better now.... other than an awful taste in my mouth caused by Paxlovid. Blegh. Thanks for asking!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT