ADVERTISEMENT

Official: No Fall In Person Classes At Rutgers

I propose that we organize approximately 7 "protests", to take place on alternate Saturdays in the Yellow lot.

"Protesters" will be required to arrive in vehicles and come equipped with such protest equipment as tents, tables, chairs, grills, coolers, etc.

Figured this would happen. Doubtful we will be able to attend FB games (if) there is a season.

I propose that we organize approximately 7 "protests", to take place on alternate Saturdays in the Yellow lot.

"Protesters" will be required to arrive in vehicles and come equipped with such protest equipment as tents, tables, chairs, grills, coolers, etc.
It ain't an official protest until there's scotch involved!

Like some Ivies, they should allow juniors and seniors on campus. They can all live in separate rooms.
Freshmen and Sophomores can take classes remotely.

Reactions: RUDutch
90% of the American college experience is the actual experience. This isn’t Europe. If I am a kid there I take off the semester and take transfer credits at a community college/work. What a waste of money to go to a virtual college that costs 10x more.

If all this forces some of these crazy liberal arts depts and schools to have to downsize, or more, something good will come out of it.
I agree completely. Hopefully this gets schools to reevaluate the cost of college.

Rutgers makes a lot of money from out of state students. A lot of students come from China. I think RU's out of state student population is going to decline.
I also agree with the 'Don't let school ruin your education' quote. I was a commuter and college felt like a part time job. I didn't make friends or find a girlfriend when I was in college, more like different acquaintances from class to class. Students will totally miss the social experience if they don't live on their own there and don't attend brick and mortar classes.

90% of the American college experience is the actual experience. This isn’t Europe. If I am a kid there I take off the semester and take transfer credits at a community college/work. What a waste of money to go to a virtual college that costs 10x more.

If all this forces some of these crazy liberal arts depts and schools to have to downsize, or more, something good will come out of it.

Well said. I agree. Not good news for Rurgers

there is no place to work so no student is just going to take off to get a job.
If I’m a student i would take extra credits this semester when i won’t be partying and doing other extra curricular activities.

If I’m a student i would take extra credits this semester when i won’t be partying and doing other extra curricular activities.
If RU can provide a tuition/credits discount, that would make sense.

Like some Ivies, they should allow juniors and seniors on campus. They can all live in separate rooms.
Freshmen and Sophomores can take classes remotely.

Under this plan going the Juco route for 2 years followed by 2 years at RU makes even more sense financially. Will the Jucos go remote as well?

College expenses are due for a major haircut imo.

How are you a current student. You have been on this board for 20 years
Not that it's anyones business, but ever heard of "non-traditional"? If you're really interested in digging, I went into a bit of detail in an unrelated post during basketball season. I also first started posting on this board when I was like 11 years old...

Obviously I don't live on campus (I also have some experience with online learning beyond this previous semester) so my perspective on "reopening" may be a bit different, but I trust the leadership at RU is erring on the side of caution in it's decision. In addition, it seems like the university plans on making accommodations for those that need it.

Then just take credits at community college. Paying far more to do the same thing at RU makes no sense. You are sitting in your living room either way.

Think this will hurt academic performance. Too many kids lack discipline and being at home it's likely easier to skip or surf the web during class.

Plus any STEM discipline has labs basically every semester after first year. How do you manage that with kids at home (and many not short commute away or with access to a car).

I've witnessed, firsthand from my dining room, one of my daughter's professors reading her class the riot act during an online session last semester. My kid's on point, but she gets really frustrated by the disruption this causes to her experience. She loves campus life and is gonna hate having to be away from the full experience. Good thing she's a trooper and knows how to roll with the punches.

That puts the nail in the coffin for football attendance. Even if they allow the games to go on, no fans will be allowed to congregate on campus like that, students or public.
I was told last week by a very large corporate donor that there will be no season this fall.

also forget basketball If no football--remember it starts in November (fall semester)--I feel for those that wanted to experience "college" life

I foresee...

- No FBS Playoffs
- No National Championship
- No Bowl Games
- Conference Games Only
- Conference Championships Only
- Programs can elect to be IN or OUT
- 25% - 50% Stadium Attendance. Mask Wearing and Social Distancing
- No Alcohol

An interesting graph would be show the percentage of college student loans with federal guarantees against the cost of tuition over time.

I would guess that as the government took on more of the risk the colleges/banks greatly increased their tuition/student loans.

Standard moral hazard situation.

Everyone is protected except the student.

This is fine and dandy if you are a freshman/ sophomore, you likely cannot take higher level classes as a junior/ senior.... Perhaps you can take some Pass/fail classes, but if you're a higher level student it may not even be an option.
You can get an internship at the upperclassmen levels.

An interesting graph would be show the percentage of college student loans with federal guarantees against the cost of tuition over time.

I would guess that as the government took on more of the risk the colleges/banks greatly increased their tuition/student loans.

Standard moral hazard situation.

Everyone is protected except the student.

In theory the government didn't take on more risk. In reality TBD.

ADVERTISEMENT