ADVERTISEMENT

Official: No Fall In Person Classes At Rutgers

Hopdfully they can stay since Rutgers will provide some in person classes despite the title of this thread. I even heard a caller on WFAN say all classes will be online. Luckily Maggie Gray correctly said most classes will be online but not all.

I feel especially bad for the incoming freshman. They missed high school graduation, proms and now the most important year to live away from home. Sucks. I still think many schools will open
Not to mention their final seasons for spring sports, and Theatre. Tough run for these kids.

Hopdfully they can stay since Rutgers will provide some in person classes despite the title of this thread. I even heard a caller on WFAN say all classes will be online. Luckily Maggie Gray correctly said most classes will be online but not all.

Dorms and dining halls mostly closed but some in person classes will be held?

For commuters maybe? How does a student living in south Jersey attend some in person classes on campus?

This sounds like online only for most students.

Didn’t university presidents agree previously that there will be no Fall FB if students are not on campus? That’s where we are now.

Last edited:
90% of the American college experience is the actual experience. This isn’t Europe. If I am a kid there I take off the semester and take transfer credits at a community college/work. What a waste of money to go to a virtual college that costs 10x more.

If all this forces some of these crazy liberal arts depts and schools to have to downsize, or more, something good will come out of it.
Spot on Cali...it's sad...why the hell send a kid to school and pay full tuition...I'm guessing mannkids take gap years...I hope they do and it impacts multiple schools making these poor decisions...

Reactions: RUskoolie
You can get an internship at the upperclassmen levels.
I would think that those opportunities will be greatly reduced.
Just like the Great Recession, no pay internships will come back in vogue.
My Son was lucky to get a paid one in his field this summer after sweating out a COVID-19 hold.

Many of his friends weren’t so lucky.

And also this...
Or just wait until after the November election...
Lots will change no matter which way it goes. Some might even be considered “miraculous” if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Not so sure.
Maybe we have limited seating with distancing in the Stadium. Perhaps the 10,000 {20% capacity} of the longest season ticket holders. Major tailgating to be eliminated.
30 students in a class room is a little different than people spread out in an outdoor stadium.
Don't expect anything more than 2k just like Monmouth Park. Monmouth Park's seating area is much larger than Rutgers Stadium with less seats. I doubt fans will be allowed in for any pro or college sports this year.

Reactions: Caliknight
Yeah, they are missing sooooo much.

WarlikeHappygoluckyHarvestmouse-max-1mb.gif

Part of the college experience is learning to deal with situations and overcoming obstacles. This is a big one. My son (a sophomore computer science major) is fine with the decision, and plans to continue taking classes through Rutgers.
Your son is an anomaly. Most kids want the college experience. It’s a large reason they are in school.

why are other b10 schools letting students do in person--psu, etc??

ICE: Foreign Students Must Leave The U.S. If Their Colleges Go Online-Only This Fall

Foreign students attending U.S. colleges that will operate entirely online this fall semester cannot remain in the country to do so, according to new regulations released Monday by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...dium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr

Rutgers international student is approximately 7% of the student population of 50,000 equals 3,500 x $45,000 tuition equals $157,500,000 loss revenue due to international students. Rutgers has a low % of international students while most colleges has between 12%-16%.

Other colleges like Illinois, Northwestern, Carnegie Mellon and UCLA has much higher international % as high as18% will lose $200,000,000-$380,000,000 of revenue related to international students.

Last edited:
https://www.rutgers.edu/about/by-the-numbers

RU claims that it has 9,000+ International students. Do they also report 7% somewhere?
https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/new-jersey/rutgers-university-new-brunswick/students/

I believe this is only the New Brunswick location. If you count Newark and Camden, you definitely get a higher percentage. The dollars lost is almost as much as the state appropriation.

Will the federal government or the state allocate more $$$ to the colleges?

why are other b10 schools letting students do in person--psu, etc??
Let's see how this plays out for the rest of the B1G.

I am of thought this decision is too soon. But lets see what happens across the conference landscape as we get closer to Labor Day.

Grad students who are doing work in research labs, etc, probably make up a lot of RU's international students. I'm guessing that most of these types of students will still be at Rutgers.
Labs cant be moved to a virtual environment.

If you know anyone looking for an internship tell them not to give up. There are still a number of them out there. My wife is in corporate HR and her company brought in its usual number of interns. My son-in-law started at J&J and brought in interns in his department. Companies still use them as recruitment and assessment vehicles.

We hired two interns to work remotely this year. It's a bit unusual (and I'm sure it's harder to find spots) but it's not impossible.

Tough times for anyone who graduated this Spring though, no doubt.

Refund!
The financial impact is going to be crushing. Look for professor and staff layoffs.

Hope they start with the Anti Semitic Microbiology @sshole Michael Chikindas.

If he has to stay on (he's tenured...would he stay on if he were anti-black, or would there be protests / riots?) perhaps he can become a bus boy in the Commons or where ever fine food is served.

MO

Are the dorms open when classes begin? What % capacity in the dorms? Same with dining halls.

My take is that Fall 2020 at RU is online mostly with a few in person classes.

I saw an article that Rutgers will not reduce tuition even though this will be online schooling. That’s pretty pathetic. Also they will still charge various campus fees which is disgraceful. Computer lab fees and things of that nature. How can they justify that? Why would anyone want to “attend”?

Reactions: RUaMoose
Most universities charge the same (or roughly the same) tuition for distance or in-person classes. Their costs are roughly the same for the two modes.

I doubt that enrollment will drop as people tend to go back to college in hard economic times. It is a counterintuitive phenomenon.

Down here we are in a very different situation. We are "back to normal" except for essentially closed borders. We will lose a ton of money due to no international students on campus, and the uni is trying hard to not lay people off.

Will Rutgers make cuts that they've been wanting to make under the heading of COVID? Could be. Tough time for a new guy to be starting out.

The hardest part if cuts come will not be this department against that department. It will be productive versus non-productive staff. And all departments have both. I could see the uni going for buyouts of staff, particularly those who haven't published in years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Maybe it’s time to trim some of the garbage liberal arts majors too, and invest the money into classes where students can earn a living above the poverty line.

I agree, and there should now be new majors like welding and automobile repair, lots of good jobs in those fields, and if someone wants to study history or literature, tell them ... go to Princeton you loser !

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Sorry, sounds like a decision driven by liability attorneys, not science. But, if they were going this way, smart of them to do it earlier rather than later.

Most universities charge the same (or roughly the same) tuition for distance or in-person classes. Their costs are roughly the same for the two modes.

I doubt that enrollment will drop as people tend to go back to college in hard economic times. It is a counterintuitive phenomenon.

Down here we are in a very different situation. We are "back to normal" except for essentially closed borders. We will lose a ton of money due to no international students on campus, and the uni is trying hard to not lay people off.

Will Rutgers make cuts that they've been wanting to make under the heading of COVID? Could be. Tough time for a new guy to be starting out.

The hardest part if cuts come will not be this department against that department. It will be productive versus non-productive staff. And all departments have both. I could see the uni going for buyouts of staff, particularly those who haven't published in years.
I bet that will happen across the board....academically, athletically and administratively.

ADVERTISEMENT