ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Match

#13 Sammy Alvarez vs Jordan DeCatur - Originally this weight class would pit two former NJ State Champs against each other, but Ohio St’s Quinn Kinner has struggled to make this weight, and will be going up, to 157 surprisingly. DeCatur, although currently unranked, will be a tough opponent for the fast rising Alvarez, winner of the Southern Scuffle last week. DeCatur , a true freshman like Alvarez, is a three-time Fargo National champion, two-time Ohio high school champion, and 2018 Cadet World freestyle team member. This could be the best match of the night. Edge Rutgers

Reactions: rubigtimenow
#13 Sammy Alvarez vs Jordan DeCatur - Originally this weight class would pit two former NJ State Champs against each other, but Ohio St’s Quinn Kinner has struggled to make this weight, and will be going up, to 157 surprisingly. DeCatur, although currently unranked, will be a tough opponent for the fast rising Alvarez, winner of the Southern Scuffle last week. DeCatur , a true freshman like Alvarez, is a three-time Fargo National champion, two-time Ohio high school champion, and 2018 Cadet World freestyle team member. This could be the best match of the night. Edge Rutgers
Any info how good Decatur was against college competition before his rs was pulled??

Can never really underestimate a blue chip recruit until we see them in action... they might be a ncaa qualifier lvl.. or AA contention right away type of skill

How does a wrestler bump up from 133 to 157? Does the NCAA not require wrestlers to be certified at a certain weight?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Last edited:
Did Kinner wrestle tonight

157: Jacori Teemer, ASU vs Elijah Cleerey, OSU
1st: Cleary tries to shoot 15 seconds in, but Teemer snaps front head and stalemate called.Cleary back in, Teemer sits and locks in the crotch. Good scramble but not score. A couple shots, but nothing 0-0.

2nd: Teemer goes down. He quickly escapes and gets in a shot and finishes. Cleary stands up and gets out halfway through this period. Cleary gets to a single with 30 seconds, but Temmer goes straight-leg defense and the period ends with Cleary on the leg, but no takedown. 3-0 Teemer.

3rd. Cleary goes down. Cleary to his feet right away and Teemer lets him go. 3-2 1:45 left. Blast double from Teemer, but they go out of bounds. That was close, so the referees will take a look at it. Call on the mat confirmed, no takedown. Half shot from Cleary and QUICK reattack from Teemer for the takedown. Teemer riding tough Cleary gets to his feet a couple of times, but no takedown. Teemer also earns a riding time point to make it 6-1.

133: Josh Kramer, ASU vs Jordan Decatur, OSU
1st: Decatur comes out firing with low level shot comes up to a double, gets in deep, but Kramer fights it off and they go out of bounds. Kramer gets in on a single, but he isn't able to score either. Kramer shoots another single but Decatur feels it coming from a mile away and easy goes behind. Kramer escapes after about five seconds. Kramer gets in on a single on the edge, pulls Decatur in as he brings it up. Decatur is doing a good job of keeping his back leg back and they'll go out of bounds as time expires, not takedown.

2nd: Kramer goes down to start the second. Decatur gets Kramer flat. Kramer gets to his feet about 30 seconds in, but a nice return from Decatur. Kramer right back to his feet and this time he gets out. Once again Kramer in on single leg on the edge, but can't score. Another shot or two from Kramer, but no takedown. 2-2.

3rd: Decatur goes down. Decatur pretty much holding base for the first 30 seconds. Switch attempt from Kramer, he switches to a double and almost reverses Kramer, but will settle for an escape. Tom Ryan wants to challenge, but decides against it. Kramer is coming after Decatur now, but Decatur gets a go behind takedown. Kramer escapes immediately and now Kramer is really coming, but it's too little too late. 5-3 Decatur. Good win for the freshman Buckeye

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
I don’t expect Rutgers to beat Ohio State but I don’t think it’s that far out of the realm of possibility.

Aguilar, Alvarez, MVB, Grello, Janzer, and Collucci can all realistically win their matches. I doubt we get all 6, but if they all wrestle their best and the other 4 guys stay off their backs, it’s possible.

That said, it’s also possible we only win 1-2 matches. Kind of fun not knowing what to expect out of a young team.

I don’t expect Rutgers to beat Ohio State but I don’t think it’s that far out of the realm of possibility.

Aguilar, Alvarez, MVB, Grello, Janzer, and Collucci can all realistically win their matches. I doubt we get all 6, but if they all wrestle their best and the other 4 guys stay off their backs, it’s possible.

That said, it’s also possible we only win 1-2 matches. Kind of fun not knowing what to expect out of a young team.

Don't think we will see Colucci. Not sure about Janzer either.

Any info how good Decatur was against college competition before his rs was pulled??

Can never really underestimate a blue chip recruit until we see them in action... they might be a ncaa qualifier lvl.. or AA contention right away type of skill

Decatur was just at the F&M open which he won.They were prepping him up with some matches before tonight's dual.Alvarez wrestling savvy thus far should give him the edge.This is going to be a highlight match.

Last edited:
Don't think we will see Colucci. Not sure about Janzer either.

No Janzer would hurt but Willie Scott seems to thrive in these situations.

Singletary is done for the year and the wrestlestat numbers on their backup and Esposito are similar. Still hopeful, but again, it needs to be a perfect match.

No Janzer would hurt but Willie Scott seems to thrive in these situations.

Singletary is done for the year and the wrestlestat numbers on their backup and Esposito are similar. Still hopeful, but again, it needs to be a perfect match.

Their backup 285, Gas Tank Gary, has been a crowd favorite there since he backed up Kyle Snyder. The crowd will be cheering him on. He's wrestled a Ton of bouts in his career there, mostly in Opens, but Espo would have a chance, no doubt.

Decatur has 1 loss and that was when he wrestled up a weight at 141. Taub is much better than Esposito and may have been the favorite against Colucci. Taub just lost 4-2 to # 6 Tanner Hall. OSU beat ASU 17-16.

We should win 125. 133, 157, 165, & 174 are 50/50 and we could win them. The other weights will be a big challenge.

Reactions: SCNJ
Decatur has 1 loss and that was when he wrestled up a weight at 141. Taub is much better than Esposito and may have been the favorite against Colucci. Taub just lost 4-2 to # 6 Tanner Hall. OSU beat ASU 17-16.

We should win 125. 133, 157, 165, & 174 are 50/50 and we could win them. The other weights will be a big challenge.

125 and 133 are toss ups. Maybe Sammy with slight edge. The rest of the matches OSU will be the favorites.

Their backup 285, Gas Tank Gary, has been a crowd favorite there since he backed up Kyle Snyder. The crowd will be cheering him on. He's wrestled a Ton of bouts in his career there, mostly in Opens, but Espo would have a chance, no doubt.
Gas tank Gary wrestled #6 Tanner Hall pretty well... I’d be pretty surprised if Espo beats him..

How does a wrestler bump up from 133 to 157? Does the NCAA not require wrestlers to be certified at a certain weight?
It happen often when there is a vacant weight class for a team. We had a 174 pounder wrestle 197 the other night.

Certifications are only for the lowest possible weight a wrestler can make. You can always move up. I have also heard Kinner is going to try and win the 157 spot this year(cannot beat Pletcher or Sasso). He has not wrestled since Nov 17th, so I have not doubt he probably weighs close to 160, but he spent the entire summer getting down to 133 so I am sure it is not "muscle" weight. Do not see him winning the 157 spot. Keshawn Hayes is still lurking in the wings(although heard he might sit out this year and ask for a medical).

I have no idea why Kinner didn’t redshirt and take 141 when Pletcher graduates. Seemed like a no brained decision.

Edit: already redshirted last year. I’m losing track of time

Gas tank Gary wrestled #6 Tanner Hall pretty well... I’d be pretty surprised if Espo beats him..
Any chance he does a grad transfer year (assuming he would be behind Chase again)? $$$$

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT