ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, end of game who takes the big shot???

nukem

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
We have had the good fortune to have 2 guys in our program who we trusted to take and hit big shots at the end of games in Ron and Geo for a few years now. They could create their own shot and make them. I know we're only 2 games into the season and both games have been run away wins but after seeing our personnel who would you trust to take a big shot at the end of the game?

I'm kind of leaning towards Cam but I'm not sure how well he can create his own good shot when he is hounded at the end of a game. Maybe Caleb though I'm not sure he's a consistent enough shooter. Hyatt is the sleeper. And I think Simpson will be the guy a season or 2 down the line.

Or do you put the ball in Paul's hands and let him try to make something happen for either himself or someone else if there is enough time to dribble and create?

Big question that will definitely play itself out at some point this season.

Obviously Cam lol. He's the best shooter we have had in a long time and he's a very good decision maker

That doesn't meant Paul won't get the ball to create for Cam though or we see a high ball screen with Paul and Cliff

I wouldn't mind seeing Cam and Cliff more on ball screens

For me it's gotta be Paul. He really knows how to create a bucket for himself or others. He's a force when he gets a smaller guard on the block, and he can find any open man

Paul put some crunch time work in last year that really impressed me, he gets my vote.
But with so many options we dont have to settle for an iso clearout, we can run a set to get the ball in someones hands with a backup option if need be.

We have had the good fortune to have 2 guys in our program who we trusted to take and hit big shots at the end of games in Ron and Geo for a few years now. They could create their own shot and make them. I know we're only 2 games into the season and both games have been run away wins but after seeing our personnel who would you trust to take a big shot at the end of the game?

I'm kind of leaning towards Cam but I'm not sure how well he can create his own good shot when he is hounded at the end of a game. Maybe Caleb though I'm not sure he's a consistent enough shooter. Hyatt is the sleeper. And I think Simpson will be the guy a season or 2 down the line.

Or do you put the ball in Paul's hands and let him try to make something happen for either himself or someone else if there is enough time to dribble and create?

25 seconds on the clock in a tie game and I think just about every high major team in the country runs iso for their star. It's the right strategy. We sure as heck did for the past six years. With pretty decent results. However, this team looks better (thus far) running offense versus iso sets.

You saw our challenge at the end of the first half yesterday. Pike takes his "use it or lose it" timeout with 36 seconds left. Clearly the plan is hold for one. We tried to milk clock, made three great passes and wound up getting a Cliff dunk with 20 seconds left. Not ideal in a tie game late. But also quite effective.

This topic will be very interesting to watch this season.

Cam.. and hopefully it’s not a play where only one person touches the ball and then steps back from 3. I’m truly hoping that “play” left forever with Geo.

Reactions: motorb54
In the past, it made sense to avoid a turnover by running an ISO, which despite fans saying isn't an offense, is an smart offense.

Iso avoids double teams and avoids defenses dictating who takes the final shot. In the case of this year's team, I feel fairly certain that if you want to run a pick and pop with Paul and Hyatt, we will get a good look......Paul and Spencer (yes, Spencer setting a screen and flailing out to an open space, is an actual offensive set/2-man game.

The missing item not yet seen is running an isolation with Caleb at the point of attack, because he has an excellent mid range shot, shoots FTs relatively well and is a good passer.....and he has a height advantage to shoot over defenders. I would not be shocked to see Caleb or Cam isolated with double high screens to force a defense to make a commitment.

Eventually I think we will see Derek Simpson in that role, because to my eyes, he is the best passer on the team (yes better than Mulcahy) and has the quickness to escape his man for a pull up. It would be a lot to ask of a freshman, but not necessarily at end of games.

This is "what do you run with 10 seconds on the shot clock"....??? Do you run your offense and if the ball lands with Hyatt or Mag, let them shoot it, if the defense dictates that??

My guess is Spencer sees a lot of shot attempts under 10 seconds on the shot clock and he will make the extra pass to teammates as well. I think this roster can run its offense and be successful with 4 different players taking shots at the end of the shot clock. That wasn't the case because we were more turnover prone in the past. I don't think we will be that way, with this group of players.

Whoever is open. I remember a game against Providence where they got the ball to Douby. He was so well guarded he passed to a wide open Herve for the win

Expect a much different end of game offense. I don’t see iso but who knows. RU has 4-6 guys that could score 20 on any given night. I expect ball screens for Spencer or Paul with an option to hit Cliff as he cuts to the post. Who knows, Simpson may be the go to late in season.

Last edited:
Expect a much different end of game offense. I don’t see iso but who knows. RU has 4-6 guys that could score 20 on any given night. I expect ball screens for Spencer or Paul with an option to hit Cliff as he cuts to the post. Who know, Simpson may be the go to late in season.
Yea it's really going to be fascinating going forward. We are so used to seeing iso at the end of games but it doesn't seem like we have that specific guy. Maybe we do, maybe we don't. But we definitely have different options and ways to get it done. I'm really interested to see how Pike handles this.

In the past, it made sense to avoid a turnover by running an ISO, which despite fans saying isn't an offense, is an smart offense.

Iso avoids double teams and avoids defenses dictating who takes the final shot. In the case of this year's team, I feel fairly certain that if you want to run a pick and pop with Paul and Hyatt, we will get a good look......Paul and Spencer (yes, Spencer setting a screen and flailing out to an open space, is an actual offensive set/2-man game.

The missing item not yet seen is running an isolation with Caleb at the point of attack, because he has an excellent mid range shot, shoots FTs relatively well and is a good passer.....and he has a height advantage to shoot over defenders. I would not be shocked to see Caleb or Cam isolated with double high screens to force a defense to make a commitment.

Eventually I think we will see Derek Simpson in that role, because to my eyes, he is the best passer on the team (yes better than Mulcahy) and has the quickness to escape his man for a pull up. It would be a lot to ask of a freshman, but not necessarily at end of games.

This is "what do you run with 10 seconds on the shot clock"....??? Do you run your offense and if the ball lands with Hyatt or Mag, let them shoot it, if the defense dictates that??

My guess is Spencer sees a lot of shot attempts under 10 seconds on the shot clock and he will make the extra pass to teammates as well. I think this roster can run its offense and be successful with 4 different players taking shots at the end of the shot clock. That wasn't the case because we were more turnover prone in the past. I don't think we will be that way, with this group of players.
I agree on Simpson if he continues to grow, and if he shows to be consistent from 3. You need a guy that is a perimeter threat that needs to be covered tight, and then can penetrate under control and make the pass. Spencer might have that penetrating ability, but we can't say yet.

I'm comfortable with Hyatt if he is set up and open due to the aforementioned penetration. Less so with Mag. I'm not comfortable with either if they are being guarded and have to create.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
People seem to be answering a separate question than what the OP asked

Who do you want handling the ball and who do you actually want taking a big shot are two different things

Anybody seriously prefer Paul taking a big shot over Cam? Paul even said Cam was the best shooter he's ever played with. Paul himself would answer Cam

Reactions: runrutgersrun

Who do you want handling the ball and who do you actually want taking a big shot are two different things

Anybody seriously prefer Paul taking a big shot over Cam? Paul even said Cam was the best shooter he's ever played with. Paul himself would answer Cam
Completely agree with this. But, on the other hand, I trust Paul to make this decision for me.

It's interesting that you broke the 2 up. I guess my question was too simple because the 2 things are probably intertwined. Is Cam good enough to get his own shot or does he need to be set up with someone like Paul handling it and getting it to him? I agree that Cam is the best shooter so if it's just a shot at the end of the game I think we want him shooting it. But it's not that simple if we don't just give it to him and iso him like we have done at the end of games for the last few years.

I'm really interested to find out how we handle this going forward.

Reactions: Scangg
The ball in Paul's hands. This would make all five guys a threat to shoot the last shot and getting a good look at the last shot. I think that will give us the ability to get better looks than what we got when we went ISO.

Reactions: Scangg
I think it’s Paul. Can’t help on the drive too much because you know he’ll find the open guy. Great footwork once he’s in the paint. He’s gonna make something happen. It won’t look the same as me and Ron taking a shot late game but it’ll hopefully lead to a more efficient shot. Cam will definitely get some late game stuff but it won’t be any type of iso plays in my opinion. It’ll definitely be interesting to see what they come up with though.

I think it’s Paul. Can’t help on the drive too much because you know he’ll find the open guy. Great footwork once he’s in the paint. He’s gonna make something happen. It won’t look the same as me and Ron taking a shot late game but it’ll hopefully lead to a more efficient shot. Cam will definitely get some late game stuff but it won’t be any type of iso plays in my opinion. It’ll definitely be interesting to see what they come up with though.
Who cares, as long as it's not that guy Geo from last year. I kid.., I kid...😉

Good stuff Geo. Really cool to hear your perspective on this.

Cam or Hyatt. Btw, if Cam takes it to the hole they will have to avoid fouling him. He’s money from the line.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Geo could always get the pull up off, even when everyone knew it was coming. I don't see anyone that can just go iso. Gonna have to be a team effort.

The ball in Paul's hands, cliff setting the pick near the top of the key and Andre, Cam and Simpson spreading the floor and spotting up.

Imo, Caleb isnt in the game for the last offensive possession. If one of those 3 is off that night, Caleb takes their spot.

I've said it before, but at the end of the game if we need a bucket, Paul and Cliff high ball screen pick and roll is what I think we will see as our go to play with Paul going to his right hand and Cam spacing the floor on that side so his defender can't help on Paul

Dribble drive by Paul, dump off to Cliff or kick out to open shooter (hopefully Cam)

It's going to be the biggest issue this season without RHJ and Geo. End of shot clock and of course game. Everyone and their mother will know we are looking for pick and roll with Paul and Cliff.

ADVERTISEMENT