ADVERTISEMENT

OK who had a better off season, so far, Mets or Yanks?

ruready4somefootball

Heisman Winner
Nov 10, 2003
I won't comment on a Yankee thread so here's my take.You guessed it,the Mets signing Cespedes while they are primed and ready to compete. If they can trade an outfielder for an upgrade at catcher,and if,yes if all the pitching comes back healthy a playoff is diffidently in play. The Yankees got the best closer in baseball, and are not yet ready for prime time.In fact, if their high end prospects are truly that, their most likely 2 years away.Going into year 3 of the Chapman contract might not be looking as good since flame throwers rarely dominate that long.PS.I found it funny a certain Met hater was calling out Met fans for criticizing the Chapman deal in that thread,lol. Talk about calling the kettle black, Oh my,smfh.

notthisshiatagain.jpg~c200

WGAS. WGAF. What is "better" in the off season anyway? RU had a "great" summer and spring camp before the 2016 season. . . . What matters is what happens on the field.
Can't understand why Yankees and Mets fans can't happily co-exist.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Who was better Phil Rizzutto or Lindsey Nelson.
Phil was the better shortstop for sure.

Is it possible today's announcers have the impact those guys had on us...old guys?

I don't think there was ever two more contrasting broadcast styles than Rizutto and Nelson. If you loved the Yankees, you loved Scooter. The ultimate homer. Nelson, OTH, I believe was actually a communications professor at the University of Tennessee.

Is it possible today's announcers have the impact those guys had on us...old guys?
I'm more of a Mets fan that a Yankees fan, but I loved Phil Rizzutto. Loved the enthusiasm.
As for today's announcers--Love Ron/Gary/Keith, and can't stand the Yankees announcers, who sound boring. Have a friend who is a bigger Yankees fan and gets violent when he listens to Keith, who admittedly, get carried away with himself too much.

Reactions: Beancounter88
Right. And Notre Dame gets ranked in the Top 10 every preseason.

Growing up a Mets fan, I felt like I grew up with Lindsey Nelson, Bob Murphy and Ralph Kiner. Mets fan since 1962. For some strange reason, Rod Kanehl was my favorite player back then.

Growing up a Mets fan, I felt like I grew up with Lindsey Nelson, Bob Murphy and Ralph Kiner. Mets fan since 1962. For some strange reason, Rod Kanehl was my favorite player back then.
My dad's first year with the Mets was 1965, he was fired as manager by the Yankees after loosing the 7th game of the 1964 world series.
I remember Hickman, Swoboda and Kranepool.
After not playing for a full year, my dad was a player coach under Casey and had 9 National league at bats...he struck out 3 times in one game for the first time in his life and retired immedietly after the game at 40 years old.

I won't comment on a Yankee thread so here's my take.You guessed it,the Mets signing Cespedes while they are primed and ready to compete. If they can trade an outfielder for an upgrade at catcher,and if,yes if all the pitching comes back healthy a playoff is diffidently in play. The Yankees got the best closer in baseball, and are not yet ready for prime time.In fact, if their high end prospects are truly that, their most likely 2 years away.Going into year 3 of the Chapman contract might not be looking as good since flame throwers rarely dominate that long.PS.I found it funny a certain Met hater was calling out Met fans for criticizing the Chapman deal in that thread,lol. Talk about calling the kettle black, Oh my,smfh.

Well. If we use mlbtraderumors top free agent list with their projected contracts (they typically are pretty good at projecting) it gives an idea.

#1 on their list - Cespedes - 5 years 125mm. Mets got him 4 years at 110mm. That's a win.

#3 on their list - Chapman - 5 years 90mm. Yanks got him for a slight discount to this (although I am ignoring the opt out value). I think once the Jansen contract is finalized the Yanks will feel even better about this one. The truth is almost all the big boys sans Red Sox were looking for a closer this off-season so you knew the market would be heated.

#18 on their list - Neil Walker 3 years 36mm. Mets got him for 1 year at the qualifying amount. Definite win for Mets assuming he's healthy. You worry the fact he accepted might say something about his health though.

#40 on their list. Matt Holiday 1 yr 10mm. The Yanks paid a slight premium to this but this guy is the definition of a pro, I think he'll have a really nice year, and there's no such thing as a bad one year deal (as Chris young hides under table).

So the answer is - more arguing between the two sides.

I am a Met fan but I think the jury is still out on this. Both teams have more moves to make.

How come Bob Murphy is almost never mentioned as a great announcer?

Mel Allen.
Unless I missed something, the mets have merely retained players that played for the team last season. The Yankees have added the premier closer in the game and St. Louis' #3 hitter. No contest.

Mel Allen.
Unless I missed something, the mets have merely retained players that played for the team last season. The Yankees have added the premier closer in the game and St. Louis' #3 hitter. No contest.

So by your logic, if Didi, Betances, Judge and Severino tore up their contracts and signed ten year deals for 40 dollars each you'd exclude that in an analysis of "which team had the best off season?"

I think not, but you seem the type that will argue just to argue.

The Yanks replaced a 20 HR, .242 DH with a 20 HR, .246 DH that is six years older. Not much of an upgrade. Chapman pitched half of last year on the Yankees, so they have the same closer they had when last season started (once Chapman served his suspension). They did pick up some major prospects from the Cubs for the rental.

It's a push.

love the fight scene between Phil and Val

Phil "what a huckleberry"

Val " hey, I'm your huckleberry"

Nelson for sure had the better collection of sports jackets,lol. As far as today goes, the Mets announcers so out class the Yankees team, it's beyond debate. Darling does Nation broadcast games, and the former Kevin Burkhardt went national with MLB and the NFL. Before that, Lindsey Nelson also did national games, and so did Tim McCarver. I never heard Mel Allen live, just in old videos,and no doubt he was great. I loved Phil,even as a Mets fan, you respected his knowledge of the game, and his skill on the field.

Last edited:
The Kettle- - - - -

Kbee3 Heisman Winner

AshCatchEm said:
What's funny is you talking about chapman like he'll be broken down and worthless in year three when he can opt out when he is basically 30 years old. We're talking about a future potential hall of famer and you're talking like no other RP has made the successful transition into an older age bracket. Have you seen the age of closers around the league? Guys pitch into their late thirties now. But I'm not even talking about late thirties! I'm talking 30-31! But keeping talking like you know shit about baseball..I'm getting a kick out of it
""Pay attention.""
"""formerlyknown is a Yankees-hating mets fan. Expecting him to say something good about the Yanks....even if it is obvious to all...is like expecting a Trumpster to say something good about Obama."""

82 Kbee3, 39 minutes ago """And vise versa,when it comes to Kbee3 visiting any Mets threads,lol."""

Last edited:
Neither. Mets didn't address relief pitching or catcher and the Yankees didn't address starting pitching.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Latest word on Familia- court date Dec. 15. His wife will not testify. Does that mean he is home free with MLB?
He would've gotten at least 50 games under the old CBA. He may get double under the new one. So Mets should've gotten another closer or an 8th inning guy/made Reed the closer.

didn't Reyes wife refuse to press charges and he was still suspended?
Correct. Basically, baseball ain't football. Even the whiff of credible domestic violence accusations and you're riding the pine and taking a financial hit. I do think if there's a conviction or proof or whatever the suspension is just longer. Familia will spend some time suspended there's little doubt of that. It's just a matter of how long at this point.

[QUOTE="he struck out 3 times in one game for the first time in his life and retired immediately after the game at 40 years old.[/QUOTE]

I know he had some of the best hand/eye coordination in baseball history but I did not know this. He never had a golden sombrero in his entire career??? That's unbelievable.

When Bob Murphy retired Imus did a bit on his show, almost drove off the road laughing..... google it, youtube wfan bob murphy retires

Last edited:
[QUOTE="he struck out 3 times in one game for the first time in his life and retired immediately after the game at 40 years old.

I know he had some of the best hand/eye coordination in baseball history but I did not know this. He never had a golden sombrero in his entire career??? That's unbelievable.[/QUOTE]
In his entire life.
He averaged 20 strikeouts a year, in 1950 with 600 AB's he whiffed 12 times.

It's a push right now. Yanks had a phenomenal last 12-18 months or so, however, and that's what will bring them back to pennant races in the near future once the payroll dump happens following next season.

Interesting topic. Problem is it really depends on who better addressed their needs or weaknesses. Yanks definitely deserve props for trading Chapman for LEGIT prospects only to get him back for cash (which, like it or not, they can afford). The Mets kept Cespedes in the fold, while this doesn't make them BETTER (because they already had him), other moves might prove to have greater benefit.

Time will tell.

[/QUOTE]In 1950 with 600 AB's he whiffed 12 times.[/QUOTE]

The hardest thing in sports is putting the bat on the ball. He only failed to do it 2% of the time in 1950? That boggles the mind.

ADVERTISEMENT