ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Oklahoma State rolls Rutgers; Suriano - Fix showdown disappoints

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/oklahoma-state-rolls-rutgers-suriano-fix-showdown-disappoints

It was one of the most highly anticipated days in Rutgers wrestling history. To say it did not live up to the hype is an understatement. Here’s my story on the Okie State dual, Suriano/Fix, and some comments from both Coach Goodale and Coach Smith.
Good article. Some mentioned that John Smith did the guns to Ashnault or towards the mat after Gfeller got a reversal or TD, which is likely why Ash did it back at the end. Can you confirm? If so, maybe add that to your article. Thanks.

I've always liked your comments Lex and I certainly appreciate your insider input. As a fan the match surpassed my expectations. I expected us to get rolled as we simply haven't looked like a very good dual team. With that said, we were really close in I think 3 matches after intermission that all didn't end with an RU victory. Plus suriano v fix almost went as expected and was splitting hairs. All in all, as a team we wrestled pretty well compared to reasonable expectations.

I've always liked your comments Lex and I certainly appreciate your insider input. As a fan the match surpassed my expectations. I expected us to get rolled as we simply haven't looked like a very good dual team. With that said, we were really close in I think 3 matches after intermission that all didn't end with an RU victory. Plus suriano v fix almost went as expected and was splitting hairs. All in all, as a team we wrestled pretty well compared to reasonable expectations.
I'd raise your expectations. It's reasonable to expect us to win 4 or 5 matches against them. Princeton won 4. We didn't finish 3 matches that were winnable.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Good article. Some mentioned that John Smith did the guns to Ashnault or towards the mat after Gfeller got a reversal or TD, which is likely why Ash did it back at the end. Can you confirm? If so, maybe add that to your article. Thanks.

This is actually the first I’m hearing of that. I will certainly look into it though.

Reactions: Leonard23

I’d say we were competitive in some bouts, which is good to see, but I think at this point the ability to close out matches has to start taking place; particularly with Glasgow and Correnti

i thought suriano vs fix match was not good. if it's supposed to be a 'fight', there was no fight in this one. i saw plenty of wrestling over the years where top ranked collegiate wrestlers really go at it to know that this one was a dud. i'm looking forward to the iowa match to see how he does.

I’d say we were competitive in some bouts, which is good to see, but I think at this point the ability to close out matches has to start taking place; particularly with Glasgow and Correnti

Lex I do not see Glasgow closing any matches still hurt.I think we keep forgetting this kid just had surgery a couple of weeks ago. I know everyone saw the same match I saw with him still favoring that knee.It is was quite obvious he did not take bottom to start the 2nd period.My deduction is he can't put any pressure kneeling on the mat.He stays in these matches due to his talent and athletic ability.If Glasgow was healthy he has a higher percentage of winning these matches.

Correnti was definitely worried about Geer's top game as he did not take bottom.He also had riding time with the possibility of Geer erasing the time.A little more offense picking the right spots could have sealed the deal.

Lex I do not see Glasgow closing any matches still hurt.I think we keep forgetting this kid just had surgery a couple of weeks ago. I know everyone saw the same match I saw with him still favoring that knee.It is was quite obvious he did not take bottom to start the 2nd period.My deduction is he can't put any pressure kneeling on the mat.He stays in these matches due to his talent and athletic ability.If Glasgow was healthy he has a higher percentage of winning these matches.

Correnti was definitely worried about Geer's top game as he did not take bottom.He also had riding time with the possibility of Geer erasing the time.A little more offense picking the right spots could have sealed the deal.

Can't wait to see what Glasgow can do when he's fully healthy.

Also, still don't know how Correnti didn't get those 2 backs. Haven't rewatched his match, should he have gotten them? Seemed liked 2 obvious swipes watching it live

Also, still don't know how Correnti didn't get those 2 backs. Haven't rewatched his match, should he have gotten them? Seemed liked 2 obvious swipes watching it live

Another blown call by the refs-Correnti should have received those backpoints.

I rewatched this numerous times... that was def 2 back point if the ref was reffing properly... so irritating ... if we still had a challenge block Correnti woulda won this.... very impressed wit how Correntti been wrestling

Glasgow was fully healthy at the start of the season... he’s just been “undersized” at the weight .. even the kid Okie State sent out bumped up and still looked bigger then Glasgow...

On that note, Ash looks great up a weight... wrestling the best he’s ever been.. I remember when everyone was worried bout him going up and I was thinking.. I wish he went 149 his Jr Year too...

Reactions: tfio

I rewatched this numerous times... that was def 2 back point if the ref was reffing properly... so irritating ... if we still had a challenge block Correnti woulda won this.... very impressed wit how Correntti been wrestling

Looking at wrestlestat, they have Geer at #8, woulda been a great win. Also, Breske from Wiscosnin at #25 so that was a solid win. 7-1 in his last 8 hopefully he keeps it rolling

What I saw him do and you can see the GIF on Twitter is a funny dance move. I didn’t see any guns from John Smith. Should note, I didn’t think the guns were out of line.

Reactions: Leonard23
What I saw him do and you can see the GIF on Twitter is a funny dance move. I didn’t see any guns from John Smith. Should note, I didn’t think the guns were out of line.

Hey, the dance involved the guns, right? That’s how I looked at it. None the less, it’s over. No harm, no foul.

Hey, the dance involved the guns, right? That’s how I looked at it. None the less, it’s over. No harm, no foul.

After watching it, Smith’s actions were borderline, at best, a bad cowboy-ish, both arms flailing dance, LOL. Guess that could be holster-like motions?!? Anthony explained it post match & said he didn’t mean anything disrespectful by doing it. I can understand the masses taking exception to it, because they are seeing it in a vacuum. Putting it in perspective, it was purely a celebration; it was a win against OSU=cowboys; Smith himself “celebrated with a cowboy dance or whatever you call that motion” DURING the actual match; and Ant always has a little fun when he wins a match against anyone. It’s his final year for goodness sake, let him have a little FUN! No harm, no foul is right. People have done a lot worse, in malice.

Go RU!
Diane

Stop making excuses ..he is cleared to wrestle and since I had seats actually on the floor with close up view I saw no favoring of his knee ..none whatsoever ...if you knew anything about the kid you would know he excels on his feet ..that why he didn’t choose down ....both his and Correnti match were winnable ..they didn’t get it done plain and simple ...stop using injuries as the excuse ...it just doesn’t fly

Absolutely he waved twice for clear 2 ...this ref was a disgrace...

Reactions: Abro1975
Stop making excuses ..he is cleared to wrestle and since I had seats actually on the floor with close up view I saw no favoring of his knee ..none whatsoever ...if you knew anything about the kid you would know he excels on his feet ..that why he didn’t choose down ....both his and Correnti match were winnable ..they didn’t get it done plain and simple ...stop using injuries as the excuse ...it just doesn’t fly

Haleyr1 we both clearly saw different matches and respectfully disagree with your assessment.Go back and watch the match when he was slow to get up with the knee.If you are so sure about the fact that there is nothing wrong with his knee then maybe you have inside information.So in your words because he is cleared his knee is 100%? Did you speak to him personally?I am sure you saw the brace on his knee.

Not making any excuses for the kid but he is hurt and so do not ignore the fact.Win or loose he is still hurt period.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Haleyr1 we both clearly saw different matches and respectfully disagree with your assessment.Go back and watch the match when he was slow to get up with the knee.If you are so sure about the fact that there is nothing wrong with his knee then maybe you have inside information.So in your words because he is cleared his knee is 100%? Did you speak to him personally?I am sure you saw the brace on his knee.

Not making any excuses for the kid but he is hurt and so do not ignore the fact.Win or loose he is still hurt period.
The coaches have repeatedly said he is not hurt ..the grind of the Big10 will certainly bang guys up ..I sincerely doubt they would have him out there if he was hurt and your right ..we must have seen two different matches because I saw no knee issues all day from him ....stop using it as a crutch ...no ones body at this stage of season is 100% so that’s ridiculous ..JVB is wrestling with stitches in his head ..it’s not hindering him as of yet so saying Glasgow gets up slowly because knee is ailing him is pure speculation on your part

The coaches have repeatedly said he is not hurt ..the grind of the Big10 will certainly bang guys up ..I sincerely doubt they would have him out there if he was hurt and your right ..we must have seen two different matches because I saw no knee issues all day from him ....stop using it as a crutch ...no ones body at this stage of season is 100% so that’s ridiculous ..JVB is wrestling with stitches in his head ..it’s not hindering him as of yet so saying Glasgow gets up slowly because knee is ailing him is pure speculation on your part

Okay another JVB example - You must be in love with him. Stiches on the head is quite different from having knee surgery.Don't compare the two as I was at the match.I do not see anyone else wrestling after after having surgery this soon, so stop with the bad examples.

Maybe you should speak to Glasgow directly and tell him to stop using his knees as crutch.

Okay another JVB example - You must be in love with him. Stiches on the head is quite different from having knee surgery.Don't compare the two as I was at the match.I do not see anyone else wrestling after after having surgery this soon, so stop with the bad examples.

Maybe you should speak to Glasgow directly and tell him to stop using his knees as crutch.
Your the one using the surgery which by the way was a minor one ..as a crutch ..the kid is going out there whenever asked and doing his best ..the knee isn’t the reason he lost ..he didn’t finish it out while ahead ..plain and simple ....don’t misconstrue what I said ... if he is injured then he shouldn’t be out there ..I don’t believe the coaches do that to any of the kids ....I was simply mentioning obvious injuries right now ..don’t get your panties in a bunch ..discomfort is one thing ..actually being injured is another ..not gonna get in a pissing match with you ...you have your opinion I have mine

Your the one using the surgery which by the way was a minor one ..as a crutch ..the kid is going out there whenever asked and doing his best ..the knee isn’t the reason he lost ..he didn’t finish it out while ahead ..plain and simple ....don’t misconstrue what I said ... if he is injured then he shouldn’t be out there ..I don’t believe the coaches do that to any of the kids ....I was simply mentioning obvious injuries right now ..don’t get your panties in a bunch ..discomfort is one thing ..actually being injured is another ..not gonna get in a pissing match with you ...you have your opinion I have mine

ps..I haven’t see the kid say anything about his injury anywhere ...so no idea why you would say that ...it’s guys like you bashing coaches for sending him out there hurt when he is not hurt to the point he can’t compete ....you’re the one making excuses not him.

Reactions: ruready07

Oh yeah he lost not finishing the match.Still does not negate the fact he probably should not be out there.Minnesota match was one plain example.If anyone is getting their panties in a bunch it's you.Getting all worked up without knowing exactly what's wrong with the kid.Like I said if you have inside information tell spill it out.That will shut me up but it's obvious you don't for sure.

ps..I haven’t see the kid say anything about his injury anywhere ...so no idea why you would say that ...it’s guys like you bashing coaches for sending him out there hurt when he is not hurt to the point he can’t compete ....you’re the one making excuses not him.

Wow bashing the coaches.I did not say one word about any of the coaches doing their jobs.If the decision was to send him out so be it.Maybe it would be great to get confirmation from the source.It is not that serious just my opinion and you should be able to respect each other's opinion.No need to steep that low.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I don't think he is 100% from what I witnessed. That being said, he is cleared and he is wrestling better and better as the days go on. He is the best option at that weight and from what has been said by other very reputable sources on this forum, there is no (or very little) risk of reinjury.

For what it's worth, I don't think he is 100% from what I witnessed. That being said, he is cleared and he is wrestling better and better as the days go on. He is the best option at that weight and from what has been said by other very reputable sources on this forum, there is no (or very little) risk of reinjury.

Thank you LETSGORU91 - I appreciate the reassurance.It's good to know that all he needs to do is work through the healing process.Hopefully he will be much better before Big Tens.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT